• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Overstated, Blue. He might not get a starting jersey, but I suspect he'd walk onto the bench at the Bulls.

Against the current crop of props at the Bulls?

In your dreams. The Bulls have cleared the cupboard and finally decided they need people who can scrum. Gone are the oxygen thieves like Kruger and Greyling.

He would not make any current NZ or SA Super rugby squad. Maybe the Kings.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I'm not advocating getting Mooney involved but he also won the Premier Rugby comp in 2007 with Wests.

Also should be noted that Damon Emtage was the backs/skills coach at the Reds when Mooney was there.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Phil Mooney seems like a better bet as a skills / assistant coach. Look at his record.

His one success as head coach was with Aus U/19's ten years ago. He coached a team of the best guys of that age Australia has seen in one team for a long time.

He rightly got recognition for that and moved up to skills coach with the Reds and had a positive impact in that role. When he took over as head coach he couldn't convert those better skills and attacking flair into results.

When he lost that job, he went to Otago in the NPC as head coach. He didn't improve their results either.

He then went back to club land at Wests as head coach and whilst their results improved, it wasn't enough to win more than they lost or even to make finals.

He left Wests to go to Japan where he was a skills coach and then backs coach.

There is no history since Aus U/19's in 2006 of success as a head coach.

The Reds need a head coach with a track record of success. If they'd followed that mantra last year RG wouldn't have been reappointed. Surely they can't afford to take another punt.
Much like Gilmore this year, he has had successes with schoolboy rugby and has an excellence squad of players and should win the inaugural u20's comp unbeaten but would he be the man to step up given he has not had any big success with the Qld Country (NRC) team? Brad Thorn would be a stabilizing factor IMO with Stiles as HC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jamie8

Herbert Moran (7)
I'm not advocating getting Mooney involved but he also won the Premier Rugby comp in 2007 with Wests.

Also should be noted that Damon Emtage was the backs/skills coach at the Reds when Mooney was there.

Not quite - Tony Cross coached Wests to the Premier Rugby title in 2006. Phil Mooney wasn't a coach - he coached Wests Premier Grade in 2000-02 before going back there in 2012.

Sunnybank won in 2007 beating Breakers in the final.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
Another thing that gets overlooked with Stiles (who for the record, I'd put at HC for the remainder of the year).

He is also responsible for a lot more than scrums. Our breakdown work has been very poor since his arrival. As much as I love scrums, we seem to have selective memories with them. While the tighthead push over will stay in my memory as well as the tries in the 2011 GF, we were ranked 11th in scrummaging last season.

Everything is related. You can't say our attack has been appalling for three years but the guy who coaches the breakdown has been a standout. Likewise perhaps our improvements at scrum time in recent seasons are related to poor overall performance due to how the preparation is being undertaken.

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
Where's Todd Louden? Wasn't he rumoured to be one of the twenty not-good-enough coaches in last year's 'worldwide' search?

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
We had a few of these false dawns last year.

Come on Frawley do the right thing!!!

Still, even money we nabbed a new Japanese sponso.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Interim co-coaches. That sounds like a simple way forward. o_O
In these circumstances the group usually pull together and the head coach becomes more an equal in the process, instead of a leader. That's certainly how it seemed to be for the Force when we boned Graham.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
In these circumstances the group usually pull together and the head coach becomes more an equal in the process, instead of a leader. That's certainly how it seemed to be for the Force when we boned Graham.

Both these guys want the role next year though. Seems like it creates an extra risk.

If one guy lets the other assume more control then it might look like that is the natural fit for next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.