• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Bugger.

RG getting cruelly and viciously **SACKED** is a terminal blow to my virtual cottage industry of pisstaking.

Kirwan gone, Richard Graham gone, all this common sense, wft

At least I have my memories.....

rgmall_zps8mez5cmw.png

collab w/H.Jarse:

Queensland-Reds-Coaching%20Staff_zpslld4r0h2.jpg

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Curious as to who Reds fans would want to take over for 2017 and beyond. Here's a list of condidates, I'm purely asking for your opinion - have none myself.
  • Nick Stiles
  • Michael O'Connor
  • Brian Smith
  • Ewen McKenzie
  • Todd Louden
  • Tony McGahan (contract status unknown)
  • Zane Hilton
  • Stuart Lancaster
  • Wayne Smith
  • Robbie Deans
  • Colin Cooper
  • Leon Macdonald
  • Todd Blackadder
  • Heyneke Mayer
  • Scott Johnson
  • Alister Coetzee
Thanks in advance - maybe somebody better equipped than myself could write a blog or make a poll?
I would take Blackadder from that list.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
That's a better post. I wholeheartedly disagree about antagonism being the catalyst for sacking RG though. If that's all it took then he would've been gone over a season ago. There's not many situations where it value adds and I can't agree that's what we need now either. Happy to agree to disagree though.

I happy to concede that Ant hasn't been at his best for a season or two now but your statements are much stronger than commenting on recent form. Saying he was never good at reading the defence and distilling his entire skill set down to saying he was simply a good one on one tackler just has no basis in fact. If you are basing your entire judgement on him on what you've seen on TV then that might make more sense but even then I'm not sure how you can come to the conclusion that you have. Have you seen him play live?

In 2011 he was the backbone of our defense. Our D was organised largely by him. The fact that he was so good at racing up and nailing an attacker, shutting down a set move time and time again is testament to how well he could read the attack. You say he often sacrificed the defensive line but this just isn't true. He picked him moments to come out of the line very well.

I agree that an under performing Ant Faaingaa is not what we need right now but.

Rough post on Ant Scoey.

He's doing his best for QLD

pjm

Billy Sheehan (19)
In 2011 he was the backbone of our defense. Our D was organised largely by him. The fact that he was so good at racing up and nailing an attacker, shutting down a set move time and time again is testament to how well he could read the attack. You say he often sacrificed the defensive line but this just isn't true. He picked him moments to come out of the line very well.

I agree that an under performing Ant Faaingaa is not what we need right now but.

2011 was a fluke year for all involved that was never replicated. It was also 5 years ago, not something that can be brought up in the current critique of a player.

Reds need a proper forward coach. Stiles has proven that he is a good set piece coach but terrible at coaching his big men on how to hit the line or rucks.

Their strength and conditioning needs a look at as well. Heaps of soft bodies in the forwards and Hunt looks as small as I've ever seen.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Curious as to who Reds fans would want to take over for 2017 and beyond. Here's a list of condidates, I'm purely asking for your opinion - have none myself.
  • Nick Stiles
  • Michael O'Connor
  • Brian Smith
  • Ewen McKenzie
  • Todd Louden
  • Tony McGahan (contract status unknown)
  • Zane Hilton
  • Stuart Lancaster
  • Wayne Smith
  • Robbie Deans
  • Colin Cooper
  • Leon Macdonald
  • Todd Blackadder
  • Heyneke Mayer
  • Scott Johnson
  • Alister Coetzee
Thanks in advance - maybe somebody better equipped than myself could write a blog or make a poll?

Din't know most of the above guys but obviously well qualified.

However my choice ain't even on the list.

I would be seeking out Matt Taylor.

He has been associated with the place and worked under Link. He understands passion and QLD culture. He has now been the Defence Coach for Scotland for 3 or 4 years..

The bloke is incredibly enthusiastic and that trait is contagious .

The best, I really don't know but ?????

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
I personallt would love to see Laurie Fisher coach our mob. He is the kind of guy who puts footy heads on young shoulders, which is what this team needs.

Much as I love Quade, I think McIntyre has potential to turn into a good 10. Would like to see him play outside a technically good 9 (e.g. Phipps). Would Genia offer that? And would he want to come back instead of financial security?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
2011 was a fluke year for all involved that was never replicated. It was also 5 years ago, not something that can be brought up in the current critique of a player.

Reds need a proper forward coach. Stiles has proven that he is a good set piece coach but terrible at coaching his big men on how to hit the line or rucks.

Their strength and conditioning needs a look at as well. Heaps of soft bodies in the forwards and Hunt looks as small as I've ever seen.

Bullshit. You can not 'fluke' a Super Rugby Championship. In 2010-2013 we finished, 5th, 1st, 3rd, 5th respectively. That's four years there or thereabouts and one championship. And 2011 can most certainly be brought up when you make statements such as, he was never good at defensive reads. If you had have said his reads have been off the last couple of years then yes, going back to 2011 would be different.

Woopsie

Peter Burge (5)
hmmm....I wonder how long or how well this co-coach thing will go.

I was having lunch when, a few minutes later, in walks Nick Stiles, followed not long after by Dan Herbert, then Jim Carmichael........................, but no Matt O'Connor?!?!? All looking quite relaxed and jovial over some sand crab rolls.

oh yes,...full disclosure; I like conspiracy theories.

And by the way, who drinks red wine in an alfresco setting for lunch on a Tuesday?!?!

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
hmmm..I wonder how long or how well this co-coach thing will go.

I was having lunch when, a few minutes later, in walks Nick Stiles, followed not long after by Dan Herbert, then Jim Carmichael........, but no Matt O'Connor?!?!? All looking quite relaxed and jovial over some sand crab rolls.

oh yes,.full disclosure; I like conspiracy theories.

And by the way, who drinks red wine in an alfresco setting for lunch on a Tuesday?!?!

If your buying, I'll drink. I've got a couple of mates who'd like to join me.

Status
Not open for further replies.