• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Did saia sign for 2017? With Moore coming home and Any pretty unlikely to be getting much of an offer he'd most likely be one right?

Really only leaves Shatz (probably) and maybe Daley

Cannot imagine Jake and Daley would command too many dollars in the Northern Hemisphere. Particularly Daley in respect of scrummaging....

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
"Give it two years and I think any overseas based player will be eligible for the Wallabies. The game just can't afford to keep leaking quality up and coming players."

At which point the arse will well and truly fall out of the Aussie Super and Club Rugby as all players with ANY talent will be signed overseas.

Starting to wonder if World Rugby needs to have a look see at the eligibility rules globally.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
The long and the short is that they talked to the core nations and it was said there's no appetite for change among most of the nations. Rumours were 7 for keep, 3 for change (Kiwis, Saffas, Argies) among the big 10, then the next teir was split, with the Pacific Nations wanting change, but Japan, Canada, the States and the Europeans content.

The logical move is to move to a more soccer like system. Perhaps not as Draconian, but say instead:

When you play for a Senior Mens first International side, you are locked into that side.

When you play for The Senior Sevens national side, The U20s National side or up to 3 other nominated sides (Can be age graded, Senior, Sevens or 15s, but cannot include U18s or lower) you cannot gain new eligibility based on residency.

E.g. I suddenly become an amazing player. I represent Australia in Sevens. I can still choose to play senior XVs for the Scottish International side, but I could not spend 3 years in Japan and play for them instead.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Interesting article here on Fox with regards to skills training with Mick at the AB's.

I've seen it come up a few times in relation to the Wallabies but also mentioned in this thread. Why do these players need skills coaching, basics like catch and pass, they should already know how to do that.

This is a comment that I read often enough on here that always amuses me. Of course they need skills coaching. Just because they know how to catch and pass, doesn't mean that they can't do it better and in some cases, much much better. Basic skills not only still need to be coached, but I would go as far as to say, they should almost be the priority. Do the basics really well and the rest will come easier.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
After last weeks handling I was reminded of a training method I read about for College Football in the US.

I once read about a team that made every rookie carry a football with them at all times, eg walking between classes, to and from training, through the dressing rooms etc.

If this ball hit the ground they got some type of punishment (running, weights, extra training).

This meant senior players and coaching staff were always looking for an opportunity to slap the ball out of their hands.

Ball retention is the key.

You can only score points with the ball in your possession!

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
That's awesome! You can do as many catch/pass drills as you like in training but it's still a training drill. Ordered, routine, predictable. All of the things that Rugby isn't. Stuff like what you mention Liquor Box, would sharpen your skills a lot.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
After last weeks handling I was reminded of a training method I read about for College Football in the US.

I once read about a team that made every rookie carry a football with them at all times, eg walking between classes, to and from training, through the dressing rooms etc.

If this ball hit the ground they got some type of punishment (running, weights, extra training).

This meant senior players and coaching staff were always looking for an opportunity to slap the ball out of their hands.

Ball retention is the key.

You can only score points with the ball in your possession!

I know Aussie Rules players are given footballs to just carry around, no punishment for dropping it or any such. The main idea is if sitting idly, or going for a walk, to keep the ball in hand, bounce it, and get a good feel for the ball - geometry, grip, bounce etc.

Going along the theme of surprise, some players would also handpass or pinpoint kick the ball out of nowhere. Might be helpful for the sevens squad with QC (Quade Cooper).

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
My 2 cents re skills.

Yes, player of this level should have the basics, but would it not be a case of use it or lose it?

Yes they may have the skills but without constant practice they do not become innate and part of the muscle memory. This is also why we are always banging on about "match fitness". Skills must be honed and practiced. If you spend all your time at training doing weights, or cardio, or trying to remember game plans, or doing interviews, or playing with the dog, or drinking beer, your ball passing skills are going to suffer.

An old rugby coach I know once said that you should try and incorporate a ball in to as many rugby training drills as possible. So, yes they maybe doing cardio by running up and down the field but if they are also needing to pass or kick or field high balls then you are improving their skills.

Also..... A big part of being a coach (from my non-coaching point of view) is identifying what players need to work on and giving them the tools to work on it. If a scrum half needs to get his pass more accurate then he needs to be told and given drills to work on it. Over and above that done during the "structured" training times. (Nick Farr-Jones going home and practicing passing with a house brick comes to mind.) If the player can't or won't commit then there are more problems then just a lack of skill.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Good backs know to draw and pass to a player in a better position to advance the ball.
Good backs also know when to take on the defender himself ( ie no support)
Good backs generally are able to "step" a player in the open. Obviously good backs can also use their speed to get on the outside of a tackler, a swerve, change of pace. etc etc. Good backs seem to be born with that talent and same can be honed by skills training.

Now forwards are a different breed

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Saia and Anthony Fainga'a will not be at the Reds next season. I believe they have been in talks with Newcastle Falcons.

Kerevi offered a deal with Toulouse however Brumbies and Waratahs are also in the hunt for his signature.

Daley is gaining some interest elsewhere, job security at the Reds?. The other who is gaining interest inter-state is Talakai. He is off contract At the end of 2017 Brumbies and Waratahs are in line to snatch him with Holmes leaving at the seasons end.

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
In other news, the police have found burglars from Brumbies winger Joe Tomanes home. A police spokesman said:

"We aren't 100% sure yet, but it looks like the co-head interim coach of the Queensland Reds Matt O'Connor has broken into Tomanes apartment and said himself he was looking for "confidence-pills" as no one can have that much confidence in their own rugby skills without using performance enhancing "confidence-pills"."
"The investigation is still going on and we cant comment any more before we have talked with the apartment owner if he has any goods missing" the spokesman continued.

Meanwhile the Queensland Reds have rushed to cover for their co-head interim coach with the following statement:
"We at the Queensland Reds think it is unfair that only one franchise and to be more exact, only one player 'Joe Tomane' is allowed to confidence boosting pills, that is why Matt O'Connor was looking for these pills, to share them with every player in Australia."

A source inside the Queensland Reds said:
"We were watching Force-Brumbies from the telly and as soon as Matt saw Joe Tomane bust his way through multiple Force defenders, including Wallaby number eight Ben McCalman, he just took off to Joes place to look after what he is eating for breakfast to get such confidence to just fend would-be-tacklers out of his way"
The source did not clarify if O'Connor found these confidence pills, nor had anything to say about the confidence within the Queensland Reds playing squad.

The Queensland Reds will take on the Rebels tomorrow, who knows, maybe we will see a more self confident side tomorrow, after the excessive search of confidence-pills.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
This is a comment that I read often enough on here that always amuses me. Of course they need skills coaching. Just because they know how to catch and pass, doesn't mean that they can't do it better and in some cases, much much better. Basic skills not only still need to be coached, but I would go as far as to say, they should almost be the priority. Do the basics really well and the rest will come easier.
I think it just comes down to the best players don't necessarily have any weird and wonderful moves that club players don't have, their execution of the basics is just so much better, and they are able to do at at a higher pace and with more physical pressure. This comes down to repetition of basic skills under pressure.

T

TOCC

Saia and Anthony Fainga'a will not be at the Reds next season. I believe they have been in talks with Newcastle Falcons.

Kerevi offered a deal with Toulouse however Brumbies and Waratahs are also in the hunt for his signature.

Daley is gaining some interest elsewhere, job security at the Reds?. The other who is gaining interest inter-state is Talakai. He is off contract At the end of 2017 Brumbies and Waratahs are in line to snatch him with Holmes leaving at the seasons end.

Talakai is critical to retain, he will no doubt be attracting interest from the Tahs and he is originally from Sydney, but the Reds have the better set piece coach.
Daley isn't as important, he sits behind Slipper and possibly even Faagase, but I'd still take him ahead of some of the other Super Rugby LHP's in Australia currently.

Kerevi is also critical to retention, Reds lost Tevita Kuridrani to the Brumbies 4 years ago and look how that turned out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Must be time for another "Red Positives" post. This does it for me.

http://online.fliphtml5.com/xsol/pmzh/#p=7

Also Premier Grade Souths v Uni is being streamed. If I have my timing right, I'll only miss the Force v Brumbies replay.

Other positives, look positions might not be locked, but I really do appreciate the co-interim blokes talking through their thinking. Its great to see something happeneing at 12 - hoping for a big game from Ant. I doubt its the fixed and final answer, but its good to think they are seeing some of the things the we fans have been talking about. I like that the forward selections have been reconsidered with non set piece being given more prominance. This only works given how good the set piece is.

Anyway, my major positive for today is that the QRU/Reds are managing to engage this ex-pat with Qld Premier rugby. Its a delightful counter to the complete turn-off I have for the Shute Shield over this last couple of weeks.

Well done Reds!

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Better game but still lacking the mental capacity. Too many basic errors and lack of structure & game plan.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Frisby had a brain fart at the end, Scott Gale must get a chance next week.

They are all to blame for being 2 down right at the end.
But if we are playing the blame game it's the guy in the pocket waiting for clean ball,that the side worked to set up for a field goal,then passes to an isolated player instead.
FFS pick someone who will have a crack.
Send him back to Premier league,where he can regain some confidence.
He's no good to anyone if he won't back himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.