• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
In terms of 10's, step forward rather than world class, could they have tried for Lance? I also like Boschoff from the Lions who doesnt seem to be involved at the moment. The "world" is a big place.

As it turns out, I'm OK with MacIntyre (and Greene) as long as there is strong coaching and rational development. The 10 clearly needs a calming influence at 12 for now. Very happy to see Ant back this weekend.

I'd be holding MacIntyre to continue to work largely to pre-set decissions. Until he can "dial-in" to the speed of Super Rugby. Until he does we are not going to see too many holes opened up. Watching the Souths v Uni game, then the Reds v Rebels, the speed differences are not just a step different. Its chalk and cheese.

Lets see Ant mix it a bit, and more of Hunt coming in to first reciever. Happy to see Frisbey dictate the heavy first 10 mins each half through pigs or to 13.

How about the chance that Waita Setu is being given! Stuff that dreams are made of. Paraka and Mafi also with big opportunities. Go for it boys!!!

Afree with most of post
BUT in respect of a 10 most would agree that it is the most important position - controlling the play and being the link between forwards and backs. If a team does not have a good 10 then it is generally considered that the team is going to struggle a bit.

I'n all for bring young guys through BUT not at the expense of the performance of the team. We SHOULD have signed a 10 - one with experience - Jonno Lance would have been beneficial. Let Jake be an understudy for a year or two.

If people aren't happy with being highly critical of a players performance (when he is in the top team) and leave him there to get more experience then the team shouldn't be bagged for non performance.

I think McIntyre shows great promise - no question to me at all.

I just don't want to wait a couple of more years before he becomes a very good one. No TEAM deserves that.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Afree with most of post
BUT in respect of a 10 most would agree that it is the most important position - controlling the play and being the link between forwards and backs. If a team does not have a good 10 then it is generally considered that the team is going to struggle a bit.

I'n all for bring young guys through BUT not at the expense of the performance of the team. We SHOULD have signed a 10 - one with experience - Jonno Lance would have been beneficial. Let Jake be an understudy for a year or two.

If people aren't happy with being highly critical of a players performance (when he is in the top team) and leave him there to get more experience then the team shouldn't be bagged for non performance.

I think McIntyre shows great promise - no question to me at all.

I just don't want to wait a couple of more years before he becomes a very good one. No TEAM deserves that.

Agree. But I'm getting close to having had enough of looking back. I lived through those Trickie years and dont need to re-live it. Where we are right now is MacIntyre/Greene. The worst case would stuffing these guys around, along with their combinations, and told to lead the backs. The best case is to let one of them settle and see where it takes us.

The soonest we would see a new 10 would be at the end of the Northern hemisphere season.

And they'd be mad or desperate to join before seeing how the Reds coaching thing sorts itself out. I wonder how serious the Quade noises are?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
So 'post RG Reds Membership watch' update.

7/3/16 (The day of the boning) - 27,990 members
17/3/16 - 29,689 members

1699 Members in 10 days. That seems like a good number to me. ~170 new members per day since RG was sacked.

F

Fritz Lang

I have heard from a source close to Rebels coach Tony McGahan that Stephen Moore's move to the Reds only eventuated because he received assurances that Laurie Fisher would be at Ballymore next season......

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
I have heard from a source close to Rebels coach Tony McGahan that Stephen Moore's move to the Reds only eventuated because he received assurances that Laurie Fisher would be at Ballymore next season..

Oh Fritz, if only this was so. I really hope we have learnt enough lessons not to fuck the search for a coach up again, but I am sceptical. Given past experience Laurie would do best hanging out in the Ballymore car park to really press his claims.

Waterboyrugby

Herbert Moran (7)
Quiet simply this guy would not get through the system in NZ. In 3 Super Rugby games and 2 trials this season I've seen nothing that indicates he will be a good player at this level other then some goalkicking ability. Thats why I am asking specifically what areas of his game do you find promise in? The ability to stand in concrete and pass? The pop gun clearing kicks that barely make it out of the 22? The handling errors and turnovers whenever he gets tackled? The negative metres made on phase play? Falling off every tackle? All the linebreaks and space he is creating for his outside backs? Or do you put all this down to gameplan and coaching?

Reactions: pjm

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I have heard from a source close to Rebels coach Tony McGahan that Stephen Moore's move to the Reds only eventuated because he received assurances that Laurie Fisher would be at Ballymore next season..

Yeah mate I heard the same a little while ago.... fingers crossed out mail is right!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Probably confirms someone's statement that this year's world-wide search would be restricted to the applicants in last year's world-wide search. Was Laurie an applicant, does anyone know?

If true, just what silly bugger games are the Reds' admin up to?

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I believe it was reported earlier this thread that the Goromaru contract was only worth about $200k.

I can't imagine many Reds fans would have been cheering if Peter Grant had been signed ahead of the Force.

A few people have told me that it's double that and has been kept very quiet for obvious reasons. One of the highest paid players at the Reds, behind possibly only Hunt. I don't know who pays what amount but 200K contract seems incorrect. Bit of a desperate grab for Japanese interest given that Reds finances apparently aren't great. The players aren't happy about it. Just another thing to add to the list over the past few years.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
So assuming the Lord Laurie story to be true, it does lead to some interesting questions:
  • Was RG extended to fill a gap and was going to be sacked regardless at seasons end?
  • Was it done knowing that it may mean a write off of a season for the Reds?
  • Who knows and is keeping it quiet?
  • So what happens now with the new guy coming in to take over the search and appointment of a coach, just go through the motions?

Status
Not open for further replies.