• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Now that I've managed to gather a few names I can confirm a lot of the talk that's has been talked about in regards to returning players. The QRU are currently in talks with;

Will Genia
Quade Cooper
Leroy Houston
Ita Vaea
Junior Rasolea
Liam Gill (backflip)

Crystal ball time -

Will Genia - re-sign with Reds
Quade Cooper - sign with Rebels (after another average season and Harris gone - JD poached by Tahs)
Leroy Houston - Reds or Tahs
Ita Vaea - signed Brumbies
Junior Rasolea signed O/s
Liam Gill - returns to Force with Hodgson nearing best before date.

Frisby to Force if Genia signs to replace Alby.

Kerevi to Brumbies after Cheika gets in his ear.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Quade loves QLD and the Reds or at least that's how it seems to me. He has played arguably his best Rugby for the Reds. The fans love him and he is a great player in a position where we desperately need one.

Whether or not the Reds should sign him and whether or not he is good value for us depends entirely on how much money we have to spend to get him. I don't think its even worth speculating on what that sum may be so discussion about his worth or value to us is pretty much moot at this stage IMO.

I'd really love to see him back at the Reds though.

Mate it is all moot

Quade's best year, no doubt, was 2011

I've said it before, say it again (and incur the wrath of some) but he has not been consistently good since that time - terrible injury at RWC in 2011 so happy to exclude 2012.

To say he is a once in a generation player is a big stretch - very big.

He used be the highest paid player in Australian rugby. He, on performance shouldn't be in the top 10.

Should he come nack to QLD. I don't think so - we have moved on.

Either sign a very good 10 or persevere with the youngster in the hope he becomes very good. Trouble with the second option is that the team takes the hit.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
It's not one or the other it's which one I'd choose if I could only have one. I think Frisby could be a great halfback. I'm not sure about McIntyre at all.

Its hard to make a decision when there have been no attacking structures for him to play with to assist in making that call.

A bit like the Tahs in the early 2000s through to 2012. They wanted to play a conservative game plan but picked players like Beale and Tim Donnelly at 10 and let players like Dan Parkes and Chris Malone who dominated games with the boot go to Europe (and dominate the games over there in that manner).

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
The team spirit is better because RG & co have left the building
I think WG and QC (Quade Cooper)'s behaviour towards every other teammate that erred was utterly crapulent - I am glad that it is out of the reds now.

It had no place to be there in the first place, and I am bewildered how it was allowed to occur.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I think QC (Quade Cooper) may not be after the money the was last year. Nothing to base that on though.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think WG and QC (Quade Cooper)'s behaviour towards every other teammate that erred was utterly crapulent - I am glad that it is out of the reds now.

It had no place to be there in the first place, and I am bewildered how it was allowed to occur.

Gel can you expand? I havent been at Gr&G long and may have missed what you are talking about. Its a heavy statement.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
https://instagram.com/p/hYIRQQxMj6j3PTtVTQzPWwcCPO4rcLStJhBVw0/

This illustrates Gel's point nicely. Quade and Genia weren't above dressing down a player on the field. Often it wasn't appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sorry but I don't agree.

I too would be ripping a head of Simmons in that instance. It doesn't show his selfish, that to me shows a winner. Someone who can go up to someone and say 'what are you doing? That was absolute shit don't do it again'. Move on and play the rest of the game.

I can tell you now a lot of players want to see QC (Quade Cooper) and WG back in the fold.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)

I too would be ripping a head of Simmons in that instance. It doesn't show his selfish, that to me shows a winner. Someone who can go up to someone and say 'what are you doing? That was absolute shit don't do it again'. Move on and play the rest of the game.

I can tell you now a lot of players want to see QC (Quade Cooper) and WG back in the fold.
AND plenty don't.

The biggest criticism from my understanding was that Genia and Cooper and particularly Genia would NEVER take the blame for anything that went wrong and took the credit when things went well.

Genia was quite "mouthy" to younger players. Quade no where near as bad.

Life moves on and we cannot bask in the glory days of 2011.

I just hope the return of Gill and Slipper galvanise the playing group for the balance of 2016.

A new coach, new CEO and a couple of good signings (possibly including a recognised 10 - depending how JMc goes in the next few weeks) gives the promise of a much better scorecard in 2017 and beyond.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
AND plenty don't.

The biggest criticism from my understanding was that Genia and Cooper and particularly Genia would NEVER take the blame for anything that went wrong and took the credit when things went well.

Genia was quite "mouthy" to younger players. Quade no where near as bad.

Life moves on and we cannot bask in the glory days of 2011.

I just hope the return of Gill and Slipper galvanise the playing group for the balance of 2016.

A new coach, new CEO and a couple of good signings (possibly including a recognised 10 - depending how JMc goes in the next few weeks) gives the promise of a much better scorecard in 2017 and beyond.

I can't comment on Genia 'never taking the blame' because I don't know the instances and the times this has happened.

However, I am a bit old school. If I was a rookie I would expect having older guys 'mouthy' at me. That is how you get better. Someone who makes you accountable for doing you job to the best of your ability and by looking at the season so far we now have no one doing that.

It's also not the Reds who want them back. Michael Chieka is the driving force behind there return. He wants them both back in Gold and in Super Rugby. The players then tell him we won't go anywhere but QLD.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
That's fine. I disagree with you.

It's shit and the wining teams don't do what you say in front of the opposition.

*edit* I *do* want them back but I just don't want to see that stuff again and I really don't think they need to do it at all..

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I can't comment on Genia 'never taking the blame' because I don't know the instances and the times this has happened.

However, I am a bit old school. If I was a rookie I would expect having older guys 'mouthy' at me. That is how you get better. Someone who makes you accountable for doing you job to the best of your ability and by looking at the season so far we now have no one doing that.

It's also not the Reds who want them back. Michael Chieka is the driving force behind there return. He wants them both back in Gold and in Super Rugby. The players then tell him we won't go anywhere but QLD.

I agree that senior players can give rookies a bit of mouth - but it must be constructive and encouraging mouth. It is incumbent upon the senior player taking ownership of his own mistakes otherwise respect goes out the backdoor and a culture of double standard starts to erode the overall confidence of the group.

Chek might want them back - he wants everyone back (of course). He wanted Holmes. The Reds didn't, for some fucking unknown reason and now we have lost the best THP in the country (with Keps already gone)

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Jeff Miller replaces the retiring Tony Shaw as president

Connors and McNicholl re-elected to the board
Mark Stanton and James Beirne elected to the board in place of Chris White and Mark Thompson, who didn't stand for re-election

AGM results

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
So the board at the start of 2015 has had a fair old shake-up

McCall
Carmichael
Frawley
McNicholl
Thompson
White
Connors
Arnett
Horwill

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
A lot of reported Graham supporters removed there. Interesting that they didn't even stand for re-election.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
The Reds don't NEED genia. The time of the pickle has arrived (fucking great game from him last night). If Genia wants to return to the Reds, it would have to be on a salary commensurate to his value to the organization RIGHT NOW (not 3-4 years ago).

The pickle is doing well, and Genia MAY not be worth big dollars to the Reds. If that is unacceptable to him/his management then the deal should not be forced.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
Annual report is out.

Loss of $1.4m for the year to 31/10/15 + $700k of Ballymore depreciation. Total loss = $2.1m
Based on these financials, the Reds will be far worse off next year based on current crowds at game. Carmichael will be keen as to have new position locked down before then. The new CEO will be staring down a big loss before they even get their feet under the table. The decisions of the past board and CEO will haunt this club for sometime. We all need to go out and start buying tickets real quick. Never seen so many empty corporate boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.