• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It is pretty much the Reds and Brumbies front row who should and IMO will dominate test selection.

1. Sio
2. Moore
3. Holmes

16. Slipper
17. Hanson
18. Alexander - Pains me to say it.

Can we get Talakai/Makin more game time, we really need to blood that second THP moving forward.

TPN will be there and I think Smith, Weeks and Ala'alatoa are all good chances of making the squad assuming we pick 6 props (which seems likely).

Of the list above I'd say Alexander is the least likely.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
We shouldn't be rushing players in to international teams but we should be working on developing them, especially something like front rowers - have some sort of front row camp to regularly get the front rowers from all the Aus Super Rugby teams together for coaching development. Imagine then the likes of Ready would get the chance to pack down in scrums with say the likes of Sio etc - just training with some of those different players and learning from that would benefit them if later on they end up getting selected in the same side.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Fairly sure we already have that going on.

Oh, wasn't aware of that. I knew that there was the Argie whose name I can't recall going around the teams but didn't know that they were getting the players, especially the emerging ones, from the teams together with each other. Good to know that it is happening.

diomac

Frank Nicholson (4)
I'd really like to see Kerevi move to 12, Hunt to 13 and give Goromaru some games at 15 to find his feet.

Goro has made some off decisions but I think he has a lot of expectation on him and he needs to find his Super Rugby feet, I am positive he is up to the task he needs game time.

Kerevi is a 12 not a 13, and I think Hunt will do more for us in the centers then Ant.

Guessing we will get Quade back next year (hope so) to mentor McIntrye or Greene for the next couple of years.

I have been very pleased with the progress we've shown in the last 2 weeks, the back line needs to step up but they for my mind are heading in the right direction.

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
As everybody has noted, something must be done. We had the platform to win and threw it away in the backs (Tahs have good backs tho). I would like to see a less inventive 9 whose sole resposibility is to get it to the 10 or the runners. No bobbing and weaving, no steps this way or that. Then see what they do with quicker ball

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Think MOC needs to fire a bullet up the backs collective arseholes, particularly Kerevi. This bloke has the size and ability (although lacking some basic shills) to put the Reds well over the advantage line and lift other players around him.

Young McIntyre needs to be told in no uncertain terms to run the ball straight (on the vast majority of occasions). If he cannot do that then drop him totally out of the 23 and give Greene a shot. He needs to be told that NOW, so that if he is dropped he has no-one to "blame" but himself.

Waterboyrugby

Herbert Moran (7)
Young McIntyre needs to be told in no uncertain terms to run the ball straight (on the vast majority of occasions). If he cannot do that then drop him totally out of the 23 and give Greene a shot. He needs to be told that NOW, so that if he is dropped he has no-one to "blame" but himself.

Looks like Reds are sticking with McIntyre for the foreseeable future. The fluff piece from Reds PR department this morning states JM has 'full backing of his coaches', 'he's doing a fantastic job' and 'he just needs time to develop'.

Another example of the Reds backing the wrong horse and keeping the blinkers on.

Reactions: pjm

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Looks like Reds are sticking with McIntyre for the foreseeable future. The fluff piece from Reds PR department this morning states JM has 'full backing of his coaches', 'he's doing a fantastic job' and 'he just needs time to develop'.

Another example of the Reds backing the wrong horse and keeping the blinkers on.

RG had the full backing of everyone a few weeks ago. That article means nothing.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)

Sounds like every politician totally supporting the leader until the kbife comes out.

The kid has the potential methinks. But he needs to be more direct. He needs to be told that (if he hasn't already) Again, if he cannot perform to a higher level then give Greene a shot - fuckall to lose

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Yeah I don't think McIntyre is a lost cause. He just needs some good advice and support. Just if he ran straight I could could forgive the wayward passes a little more. I don't expect the finished product but I'd like to see little bits of improvement each week.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I'd really like to see Kerevi move to 12, Hunt to 13 and give Goromaru some games at 15 to find his feet.

Goro has made some off decisions but I think he has a lot of expectation on him and he needs to find his Super Rugby feet, I am positive he is up to the task he needs game time.

Kerevi is a 12 not a 13, and I think Hunt will do more for us in the centers then Ant.

Guessing we will get Quade back next year (hope so) to mentor McIntrye or Greene for the next couple of years.

I have been very pleased with the progress we've shown in the last 2 weeks, the back line needs to step up but they for my mind are heading in the right direction.

I dont see Kerevi as a 12, I don't recall him as being a passer of the ball. I realise he can thrown a pass but can he throw a cutout ass both ways? Can he kick a ball reliably?

I think with a 10 who is struggling/learning depending on who is discussing him it is vital he has a go to option when under pressure. I dont think Kerevi fills this need.

I think Hunt is a better option at 12 or even Duncan P given their skill set.

I think QC (Quade Cooper) allowed us to have lesser skilled options at 12 as he was faster getting rid of the ball or would step away from defence to buy time.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
The weekend just been was the first game I've managed to see in full. It was a death of a thousand cuts as far as the backs were concerned.

It looked like the back line had just met each other. Frisby looking around who to pass it to from the ruck, McIntyre passing it behind the player, Kerevi, well he has the physical presence but fuck all else. Passing very stilted allowing the defence to close any threat down.

More practise less drills me thinks.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
I don't get where all this Kerevi at 12 talk begins. He only filled in that spot last season, apart from that he has never played 12. He has minimal ball playing attributes and is a true running 13.

However the problem is that he has another player similar to him playing at 12 and if you bring in Paaiaua that's a backline of rookies. Frisby, McIntyre, Paaiaua, Kerevi, Nabuli, CFS (not so much), Hunt.

Recruitment is the issue, not the coaching

T

TOCC

I thought the best that the Reds have looked all season was in the trial when Paia'aua was playing at 12 in outside of McIntyre

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah I don't think McIntyre is a lost cause. He just needs some good advice and support. Just if he ran straight I could could forgive the wayward passes a little more. I don't expect the finished product but I'd like to see little bits of improvement each week.

I think he has a long way to go, but I'll roll with the CIHC selections. I dont think his wayward passes, well not all pf them, are his own fault. The backs he passes to, especially the cut out passes, arent running on to the ball. If he drops it back to them, so deep and slow in their go forward, its a hospital pass. If he pushes it flat and fast its a drop ball.

Other times last week, when he needed a forward (when Frisbey was rushed or couldnt do it in traffic) sometimes they were sucking it in and not wanting the ball. This also leads to the sideways wondering.

Where I think the CIHC needs to buck up quickly, is getting better structure and understanding so MacIntyre doesnt get caught like this. His communication skills will develop, but the outside backs need to step up too. When they do it looks quite good.

T

TOCC

When the same discussion and points are raised on every 5/8 in the past 2 years I begin to wonder whether it's the players fault or the coaching and attacking structures fault.

Paia'aua, Hunt, McIntyre, Greene and Frisby have all received the same criticism for their performance in the 10 jersey in the past 18 months. Heck, even when Quade was starting 5/8 the same issues were evident in the attacking structure.

Sure McIntyre has his faults, but blaming him for the misfiring backline ignores other glaring issues, and expecting that dropping him for another equally rookie fly-half will result in any kind of improvement again ignores the outstanding structural issues in the backline.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
When the same discussion and points are raised on every 5/8 in the past 2 years I begin to wonder whether it's the players fault or the coaching and attacking structures fault.

Paia'aua, Hunt, McIntyre, Greene and Frisby have all received the same criticism for their performance in the 10 jersey in the past 18 months. Heck, even when Quade was starting 5/8 the same issues were evident in the attacking structure.

Sure McIntyre has his faults, but blaming him for the misfiring backline ignores other glaring issues, and expecting that dropping him for another equally rookie fly-half will result in any kind of improvement again ignores the outstanding structural issues in the backline.

Yes, the Reds 10 jersey is a poisoned chalice. I don't even think if you put Dan Carter in there he'd come out of it looking good. Which in itself makes it difficult to recruit a star 10, because who wants to burn their career and future prospects by taking on that job?

Many of these Reds backs - Hunt, McIntyre, Frisby, Kerevi etc - where the top of the competition in the NRC, playing against and carving up a bunch of the same players they've been getting flogged by in the local derbies. It's inconceivable that the sole problem is lack of talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.