• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
How do we replace Samu? 13 Ant 12 Duncan?

13 Hunt 15 Goromaru ?

Perhaps CFS will be back and go straight to 13?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
I think shifting Ant to 13 and Paaiaua to 12 is the answer. Duncan adds ball playing abilities while Ant remains to be robust and direct. The pair are a very good defensive centre combination.

Paaiaua may look a little lost but you couldn't bring Hunt into 13. He is playing far to well at 15 to be moving around now. Really have to feel for Goromaru, the truth is now being shown that he was here only to bring in revenue off the field.

Disappointing from Cordingley and the QRU board during the R. Graham era.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
I couldn't imagine it. He's been unsighted in Reds colours all year. Hasn't played club either.

He can concentrate on the under 20s
He had a good game for GPS in their loss to Bond. Good on defense good pace and aggression and could play at 12 or 13. However it would be a huge loss to the u20 given Sione Tuipulotu is on the bench for a few Rebels injuries.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Correction (edited) GPS. My point being he has played club and he was the standout in the game against Bond. He has size and pace. What has happened to T Kuridrani and Henry Taefu?

C Kuridrani* slow start mate? Lol.

Taefu and Kiridrani both fit but behind in the pecking order. Also both not renown 13's. Magnay isn't up to it just yet especially not at 13. CFS back met week could see Goromaru dropping out of the 23.

T

TOCC

Confirmed Kerevi gone for 4

CFS will be back next week and Magnay has been called up to the squad.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Right now I'd say our weakest positions to fill next year are at 7, 10, 12 and a wing spot (other than Nabuli), plus some depth for the bench where we are very weak. 8 depends on whether Browning can maintain his current form. We don't have a couple of superstars and the right role players like in 2010 - 2013 (especially 2011), but we should be good enough on paper to aim for a comfortable mid table finish.

Was looking at the finish for this season, and it looks hard with 6 games remaining. 3 wins would be a fantastic result, 2 good, 1 (Sunwolves) would be what's expected. Personally, I would be over the moon with 3 wins from the remaining 6 games, but it's a tough ask. I'd be very happy with 2.

Remaining games:
Crusaders (away)
Hurricanes (away)
Sunwolves (home)
bye (+ international break through June)
Brumbies (away)
Chiefs (home)
Rebels (home)

We will be extreme outsiders vs the Crusaders, who are coming off a bye. The Canes will be returning from SA (Lions - who they flogged - and the Sharks), so while we will still be outsiders, it will not be quite so as extreme as vs the Crusaders. edit: with Kerevi out for those games, I don't fancy our chances of any upsets.

The most winnable are the Sunwolves at home (which will be the last game with Kerevi out), and potentially the Rebels at home. Brumbies aren't performing but historically have the wood on us, especially in Canberra. This game will be after the international window though, so previous form may be out the window. If the Chiefs have an off night we also may have a tiny sniff there, as we seem to generally go OK vs the NZ sides at home.

Kerevi should be back for the Brumbies in July, which is about 9 weeks away, and he should hopefully have a club game or two under his belt as well.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Whilst it is a shame about Kerevi, it will give us a chance to either get a got look at Paia'aua at 12 or CFS in the 13 role. The circumstances aren't ideal for either, but they need to take the opportunity with both hands.

I know CFS has failed so far to live up to potential - but at the moment I think all of the players can be entitled to a little bit of 'benefit of the doubt' that their form under the previous coaching regime should be set aside. If he can stand up over the next couple of weeks (if he gets the chance) it might give a second wind to his rugby career.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeah, the best move from here for mine is CFS straight to 13 leaving the rest of the team unchanged. I'd prefer to see Magnay stay with the U20s.

We would also move Paia'ua to 12, Ant to 13, CFS back to wing, Greene to the bench and then drop either Laloifi or Goromaru (I'd drop Goromaru personally), but that's a much bigger reshuffle.

I'd also be worried about Ant's defence at 13. He's hitting as hard as ever, but he's also missed a lot of tackles this year.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
"Three to four weeks" according to the Reds' Facebook page, with surgery on Tuesday (presumably for pins). It amazes me how quickly they can treat a broken bone these days - I guess that's what top quality sports medicine can do. For a schoolkid it's presumably still the traditional six weeks in a cast!

There are six weeks til the first test against England and four rounds of Super Rugby still to play before then, so hopefully his Wallaby dreams are still on track. The Reds have a bye in that last week anyway.

He just has to hope that Cheika has seen enough to date to give him the chance. Personally I think he has. Cheika has shown he likes the wildcard selections and he'll be in the extended squad for sure. And I reckon we'll see Kerevi in gold in at least one test against England. At least he'll be nice and fresh.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Samu Kerevi looks set to re-sign with the Reds for 3 more seasons and Nick Frisby although off contract next season will look to also commit for an extra 2 season in Red.

However, Fakaosilea will leave at the seasons end to the Brumbies on a two year deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.