• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Does it make much difference? They're going to play how they play anyway.

Not a huge amount and mostly I just thought it was an interesting observation.

I wonder if Adrian Thompson considers Korczyk better at controlling the ball at the back of the scrum or whether there are other reasons.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think Gunn needs to be secured long term, because Robinson hasn't got much left, and Gill is still uncertain.

Gunn is a great talent and needs to be kept.

Lolo Fakaosilea is in the same boat when you consider Quirk is arguably done in QLD, Shatz is not the answer at 8, we aren't sure on Thompson & Tui.

I though Lolo had been signed though?

Gunn has, not Lolo I don't believe.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
2016 Reds Current Confirmed Contracts
Props (4)
Hookers (2)
Locks (2)
Backrow (2)
Halfback (2)
Five Eighth (1)
Centre (3)
Wing (2)
Fullback (2)

Loose Ends needing to be confirmed - fairly soon

Off Contract at end of 2015
Quade Cooper (likely to be signed by Toulon)
LF Gill (loose forward)
Beau Robinson (loose forward)
Curtis Browning (loose forward)
David McDuling (lock)
Adam Thomson (Foreign Marquee) (loose forward)
Hendrik Tui (Foreign Marquee) (loose forward)

Unsigned/Unknown for 2016
Greg Holmes (prop)
Pettowa Paraka (prop) 2015 EDS
Ed O'Donoghue (lock)
Marco Kotze (lock) 2015 EDS
Tom Murday (lock) 2015 Short Term Contract
Ed Quirk (loose forward)
Jake Schatz (loose forward)
Lolo Fakosilea (loose forward) 2015 EPS
Scott Gale (halfback) 2015 Short Term Contract
Jake McIntyre (flyhalf) 2015 EDS
Sam Greene (flyhalf) 2015 Short Term Contract
Chris Feauai-Sautia (centre)
Samu Kerevi (centre)
Ben Tapuai (centre)
Sam Johnson (centre) 2015 EDS
Lachlan Turner (winger)
Tom Banks (winger) 2015 Short Term Contract

Edit: Just a reminder that we are keeping the initial post on page 1 of this thread up to date as more information on the contractual status of the 2015 Squad and EDS are confirmed.

Well it's clear that there is a group of players we must keep, no matter what dastardly things we must do in order to do so.
- Quade
- Gill
- Holmes
- Lolo
- Browning
- Thomson (if possible)
- McInTyre
- Kerevi
- Tapuai (unlikely)
- Turner

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Not sure about that. There's 8 and we needed to go outside our squad at one point at least so far.

Two back rowers confirmed and another 8 undecided. The vast bulk of whom play a wide open game. I think it needs to be culled. More to the point it would be good to change the make up of these loosies - ideally we could use a couple of big tight playing guys with attitude looking at no 8. And maybe no 6.

I'd like a change in balance to the team with locks beefed and the loosies rationalised. Six (including undecided) locks may be enough, but I'd like one more to be a proven player.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Agree with Hammertimes list bar Tapui. With Kerevi hitting form Tapui is less vital (and given his own form).

Apart from Lolo and Thomson - All our backrowers are largely the same player (big generalisation granted) - but we definitely need a Potgeiter/Higgers/Skelton - someone who is big and scary and gets over the gain line. This was out biggest hole at the start of the season which was sort of filled by Thomson.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Agree with Hammertimes list bar Tapui. With Kerevi hitting form Tapui is less vital (and given his own form).

I'm not calling you out specifically Mr Barron, but there have been a lot of people critical of Tapuai's form and I think it is quite unjustified personally.

Firstly, it's hard to knock a guy who isn't getting much game time, who comes on from the bench when the rest of the team is already beat up.

I did some sums and Taps has played in 10 games this season. He played 80 mins in 1 match but other than that he is averaging 16 mins per game for 224 mins total this year.

In his very few minutes his stats are often comparable to players that have played 60+ mins in the same game.

Basically, I'm not saying that Taps is the Messiah but he is doing quite well with very few minutes and some folk are judging his form by how much of him they have seen, not what he's been doing.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Don't get me wrong I think he is solid (and at times awesome)- but Hammertimes list was players that are must keeps. I don't think he is irreplaceable, e.g. I won't be too phased if we got any of the other Super Rugby centres in his place (now someone will name some joker I have forgotten). Case in point - If Hunt goes alright this weekend - Tapui probably isn't in the run on 15. So you can't have a non guaranteed starter as a Must Keep

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
IMO I would keep Tapuai over A Fainga'a. Like our back row Kerevi, Hunt and Fainga'a are all ball carrying centres. Tapuai is a distributor with a big of footwork. The Reds have to have different players who bring different individual games to the team.
Earlier in the year we criticised the team for poor handling and kept the same centre combination in Kerevi and Fainga'a who are not very good with ball in hand. They are straight up and down ball carriers.
Tapuai has been harshly treated IMO he is an inside centre and has only started one game in which Graham played him at 15. Since when have we seen Tapuai at 15 ?
He deserved much more game time at 12 this season.

T

TOCC

He deserves time?
He has had an injury run and if he deserves more time then he trains the house down and he pushes to earn that spot

I like Tapuai, and I think there is still strong wallaby potential within, however he has to keep working on his fitness, he is at the age and experience where he should be proving himself worthy of a starting position, but he just hasn't been doing that. You look at someone like Quade when he returns from injury, he is at the other end of the spectrum.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Well it's clear that there is a group of players we must keep, no matter what dastardly things we must do in order to do so.
- Quade
- Gill
- Holmes
- Lolo
- Browning
- Thomson (if possible)
- McInTyre
- Kerevi
- Tapuai (unlikely)
- Turner

I reckon the "give 'em whatever they want" is a little shorter:
QC (Quade Cooper)
LF Gill
McIntyre
Fakaosilea

Unfortunately Reds HQ may have missed the boat with QC (Quade Cooper), which means throw a kitchen sink with all the extras, and some, at McIntyre.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
On RugbyHQ last night Marto (yeah, I know, but I doubt he'd just make this shit up) stated that the cost of getting QC (Quade Cooper) out've his Toulon deal is $150K & that QRU should pay it on the basis that no-one goes to a Reds game to see James Slipper, they go to watch Quade................

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I reckon the "give 'em whatever they want" is a little shorter:
QC (Quade Cooper)
LF Gill
McIntyre
Fakaosilea

Unfortunately Reds HQ may have missed the boat with QC (Quade Cooper), which means throw a kitchen sink with all the extras, and some, at McIntyre.

I wouldn't be throwing too much at McIntyre. Now To'omua. Yep. For sure.

And I'd go that Oz 20s flyhalf before McIntyre. Deegan?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Deegan's ours. Reds should make a grab for Horwitz if you don't want the Alstonville boy, McIntyre. Cheika doesn't seem to want him.

The point that we all know is the Reds need a quality 10 and if QC (Quade Cooper) is gone, then they have to leave no stone unturned in the search to replace him, even going to NZ to see if the likes of Ihaia West or co have any Australian Grandparents.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
On RugbyHQ last night Marto (yeah, I know, but I doubt he'd just make this shit up) stated that the cost of getting QC (Quade Cooper) out've his Toulon deal is $150K & that QRU should pay it on the basis that no-one goes to a Reds game to see James Slipper, they go to watch Quade......

I am pretty sure all member would chip in $3 to keep QC (Quade Cooper), I will also add more money to get a new coach too

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
IMO I would keep Tapuai over A Fainga'a. Like our back row Kerevi, Hunt and Fainga'a are all ball carrying centres. Tapuai is a distributor with a big of footwork. The Reds have to have different players who bring different individual games to the team.
Earlier in the year we criticised the team for poor handling and kept the same centre combination in Kerevi and Fainga'a who are not very good with ball in hand. They are straight up and down ball carriers.
Tapuai has been harshly treated IMO he is an inside centre and has only started one game in which Graham played him at 15. Since when have we seen Tapuai at 15 ?
He deserved much more game time at 12 this season.

I dont know if I would say he "deserved" more game time.

Kerevi was close to player of the tournament in the NRC for me, he was great and since this is somewhat of a feeder for S15 he got the spot for the Reds.

Kerevi has been in the top three Reds in just about every game this season in my opinion and give how poor we have been I would not move him.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
On RugbyHQ last night Marto (yeah, I know, but I doubt he'd just make this shit up) stated that the cost of getting QC (Quade Cooper) out've his Toulon deal is $150K & that QRU should pay it on the basis that no-one goes to a Reds game to see James Slipper, they go to watch Quade......

I disagree with that point on the basis of winning matches is the main motivation to come to games. The Waratahs have the most marketable team in the comp but when their form slumps nobody shows up.

Players like Slipper help win matches. However this is a philosophical argument on my behalf because, as I said in my last post, Quade should be kept because he wins matches as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.