• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Totally agree TOCC. He is far from the finished product. Plenty of potential for sure, but I'd like to see a lot more of him in NRC before inking him in for a backrow spot in 2016

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
Of course he shouldn't be starting as early as next year but as previous posters have said, our backrow could look very different next year which is an opportunity for some minutes.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
It pains me to say it, but the Reds are at least 3 years from being Finals worthy again.

3 years? Being in the top 6-8 next season is achievable.

Looking back, 2009, we came second last. 2010 we came 5th and would have made the finals in this new conference system.

So, middle of the pack next year and making the finals in 2018 would be history repeating itself!

T

Train Without a Station

In 2010 we should have made 4th. I believe a poor loss to the Blues at Ballymore, and a loss to the Brumbies with Ezra Taylor and Jake Schatz playing in the 2nd row for 57 minutes both cost us that. Had in not been for the single poor loss, or the horror run of injuries to locks when we had lost every other lock, 4th was a huge possibility. We missed the finals by 2 points in the end.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think 3 years until we have a chance in a finals game. If other teams have their share of bad luck we could make the finals next season but to have a shot at winning a finals game is a few years away.

I hate that the teams fortunes rest so much on one player but if QC (Quade Cooper) stays and is fit we can make the finals next year. If he goes then who knows how long it will take to get a 10 that is better than average?

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
3 years? Being in the top 6-8 next season is achievable.

Looking back, 2009, we came second last. 2010 we came 5th and would have made the finals in this new conference system.

So, middle of the pack next year and making the finals in 2018 would be history repeating itself!

More than that, in 2010 we were decimated with injury late in the season. I remember Quade saying at the time if the Reds made the finals he was unsure if they had enough left for a full team.

Finals are achieveable for a team that believes in it.

T

Train Without a Station

More than that, in 2010 we were decimated with injury late in the season. I remember Quade saying at the time if the Reds made the finals he was unsure if they had enough left for a full team.

Finals are achieveable for a team that believes in it.

It also showed how much of an immediate impact a quality coach can make. Not trying to denigrate Mooney and his work, but more saying that a good coach doesn't need time "to bed systems" and roster changes. They are able to immediately achieve better results with the team they inherited.

Further to that, Graham has shown exactly how much of an immediate impact a poor coach can have, despite a good roster, winning culture and successful systems being in place.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
It also showed how much of an immediate impact a quality coach can make. Not trying to denigrate Mooney and his work, but more saying that a good coach doesn't need time "to bed systems" and roster changes. They are able to immediately achieve better results with the team they inherited.

Further to that, Graham has shown exactly how much of an immediate impact a poor coach can have, despite a good roster, winning culture and successful systems being in place.

Agree absolutely. + let's not forget 'the next layer' under the HC and the major impact that can have.

There can be no question that one of Link's best moves in late 2009/early 2010 was to upgrade the whole Reds' coaching team: Taylor, Evans, Fowler, McKay, Marsh etc. The whole team clicked in that period and a large number of 2009 Reds players improved in skills and playing confidence during 2010-11 as a direct result (one of many marks of good (or bad) coaching is the rate and rapidity of player development under a coaching team).

Contrast RG: other than Stiles (credit to RG there), all of the remainder have either been outright duds (FFS, the defence coach this year has been worse than a zero) or RG has managed, used and motivated them very poorly as HC. Could be a mixture of both.

Reactions: gel

nick_

Allen Oxlade (6)
I like Digby, but his ongoing injuries are concern and I don't think he would make a worthwhile recruit.

Fair comment. Despite the only wingers signed on in the squad are Chris Kuridrani, CFS, and JOC (James O'Connor) (who The Australian is reporting as leaving anyway)...?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Re Reds' 2016 wingers: whatever re DI, but if we want to win a S18 championship, and given the nature of the best teams' backlines today, we will never do that with L Turner and CFS just as much unless his form and confidence improves dramatically. Neither are consistently penetrative and/or fast enough when pitted against the best defences.

Look at the impact that the best Fijian (or of Fijian ethic origin) wingers are having for their teams. We need some of that (or the equivalent).

I find many posters here seem to imply they'll be satisfied with a Reds team that will 'do OK' in future years.

No. We need to urgently aspire to as rapidly as possible build a team and total coaching capability that can and will win the competition, or at the very least get into the top tier of the Finals regularly.

Not only is this upwards trajectory important to the restoring of fan/members pride, it's the only way the QRU will survive commercially in a strong enough manner to yield up surplus funds for the long-term prosperity of QLD rugby as a whole.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Huge news for the Reds.
http://www.redsrugby.com.au/News/Ne...contract-extension-with-Queensland-Rugby.aspx

Remaining on the 2016 Unkonwn Status List

Off Contract at end of 2015
Quade Cooper (likely to be signed by Toulon)
Beau Robinson (loose forward)
Curtis Browning (loose forward)
David McDuling (lock)
Adam Thomson (Foreign Marquee) (loose forward)
Hendrik Tui (Foreign Marquee) (loose forward)

Unsigned/Unknown for 2016
Greg Holmes (prop)
Pettowa Paraka (prop) 2015 EDS
Ed O'Donoghue (lock)
Marco Kotze (lock) 2015 EDS
Tom Murday (lock) 2015 Short Term Contract
Ed Quirk (loose forward)
Jake Schatz (loose forward)
Lolo Fakosilea (loose forward) 2015 EPS
Scott Gale (halfback) 2015 Short Term Contract
Jake McIntyre (flyhalf) 2015 EDS
Sam Greene (flyhalf) 2015 Short Term Contract