• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
i know i keep bringing up old shit , but did we figure out who the coach is gonna be? originally we all heard from a couple of you guys who all have proven records that we were signing Matt O'Connor, then a few other blokes and some articles kept saying Dick was staying? i suppose i should have just waited till friday but i don't know if i can wait.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
They are working up an offer for Richie McCaw.

Mccaw quits All Blacks overnight to play rugby in Greece

--NZ Herald--

In something of a shock move, All Black captain Richie Mccaw has quit New Zealand rugby on the eve of the Rugby World Cup to take up a contract in Greece. The contract is believed to be worth in excess of 320 billion euros.

Mccaw, having abandoned his All Black teammates overnight, can be seen below piloting his private amphibious vessel directly onto Greece.

mccawship_zpsd4frp0wq.gif

"Jesus, I already have my boots on, what time is kick off?"

dasduke

Frank Nicholson (4)
Mccaw quits All Blacks overnight to play rugby in Greece

--NZ Herald--

In something of a shock move, All Black captain Richie Mccaw has quit New Zealand rugby on the eve of the Rugby World Cup to take up a contract in Greece. The contract is believed to be worth in excess of 320 billion euros.

Mccaw, having abandoned his All Black teammates overnight, can be seen below piloting his private amphibious vessel directly onto Greece.

mccawship_zpsd4frp0wq.gif

"Jesus, I already have my boots on, what time is kick off?"

I never thought I'd smile again while reading the reds forum thread. Thank you Dismal Pillock. I just spat out my XXXX.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Reds have signed the following:

Sam Greene (1 year)
Position:
Flyhalf
Height: 178cm
Weight: 88kg
DOB: 16/08/1994
POB: Brisbane, QLD
School: Brisbane Grammar School
Club: Brothers
Representative honours: Queensland Schoolboys (2012) Australian Schoolboys (2012), Australian Under 20s (2013-2014), Brisbane City NRC (2014-), Queensland (2015-).
Queensland Rugby debut: 2015 v Rebels, Suncorp Stadium
Queensland Rugby caps: 1
Super Rugby debut: 2015 v Rebels, Suncorp Stadium
Super Rugby caps: 1

Lukhan Tui (3 years)
Position:
Lock
Height: 198cm
Weight: 121kg
DOB: 19/9/1996
POB: Auckland, New Zealand
School: John Edmonson High school, NSW
Club: Randwick
Representative honours: Combined States Under-20s (2014), NSW Under-20s (2015), Australian Under 20s (2015).

Alex Mafi (3 years)
Position:
Hooker
Height: 179cm
Weight: 107kg
DOB: 07/11/1996
POB: Brisbane, QLD
School: St.Joseph’s Nudgee College
Club: Bond University
Representative honours: Queensland Schoolboys (2012-2014), Australian Schoolboys (2013-2014)

Jake McIntyre (2 years)
Position:
Flyhalf
Height: 177cm
Weight: 86kg
DOB: 28/04/1994
POB: Alsontville, NSW
School: Alstonville State High School
Club: Sunnybank Dragons
Representative honours: Australian Schoolboys (2012), Australian Under 20s (2013-2014), Brisbane City NRC (2014-), Queensland (2015-).
Queensland Rugby debut: 2015 v Rebels, Suncorp Stadium
Queensland Rugby caps: 3
Queensland Rugby points: 5 (1T)
Super Rugby debut: 2015 v Rebels, Suncorp Stadium
Super Rugby caps: 3
Super Rugby points: 5 (1T)

Pettowa Paraka (2 years)
Position:
Prop
Height: 179cm
Weight: 118kg
DOB: 16/11/1993
POB: Mount Hagen, Papua New Guinea
School: The Southport School
Club: Easts Tigers
Representative honours: Queensland Schoolboys (2011), Australian Schoolboys (2011), Australian Under 20s (2012-2013), Brisbane City NRC (2014-), Queensland (2015-).
Queensland Rugby debut: 2015 v Brumbies, Suncorp Stadium
Queensland Rugby caps: 6
Super Rugby debut: 2015 v Brumbies, Suncorp Stadium
Super Rugby caps: 6

Izack Rodda (3 years)
Position:
Lock
Height: 200cm
Weight: 115kg
DOB: 20/08/1996
POB: Evan’s Head, NSW
School: Ipswich Grammar School
Club: Easts Tigers
Representative honours: Queensland Schoolboys (2013-2014), Reds Under-20s (2015)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
going by the contract list on the front page we may have a team something like:

15 James O'Connor
14 Chris Kuridrani
13 Karmichael Hunt
12 Samu Kerevi
11 Chris Feauai-Sautia
10 Sam Greene
9 Nick Frisby
8 Curtis Browning
7 Liam Gill
6 Adam Korczyk
5 Rob Simmons
4 Cadeyrn Neville
3 Greg Holmes
2 Saia Fainga'a
1 James Slipper

16 Andrew Ready
17 Sam Talakai
18 Ben Daley
19 Lukhan Tui
20 Michael Gunn
21 James Tuttle
22 Jake McIntyre
23 Jamie-Jerry Taulagi

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
The press release - RG's fingerprints all over it. He's hanging on.

(No problem with young talent being developed though - all good, but not at the expense of some quality Super Rugby signings).

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
That looks like 31 contracted players for next year, including Taniela Topou in the Wider Training Group.

Still a couple of loose ends to tidy up.
Off Contract at end of 2015
Quade Cooper (likely to be signed by Toulon or ARU or someone)
Beau Robinson (loose forward)
Hendrik Tui (Foreign Marquee) (loose forward)

Unsigned/Unknown for 2016
Ed O'Donoghue (lock)
Marco Kotze (lock) 2015 EDS
Ed Quirk (loose forward)
Jake Schatz (loose forward)
Lolo Fakosilea (loose forward) 2015 EPS
Scott Gale (halfback) 2015 Short Term Contract
Samu Kerevi (centre)
Lachlan Turner (winger)
Tom Banks (winger) 2015 Short Term Contract

nick_

Allen Oxlade (6)
going by the contract list on the front page we may have a team something like:

15 James O'Connor
14 Chris Kuridrani
13 Karmichael Hunt
12 Samu Kerevi
11 Chris Feauai-Sautia
10 Sam Greene
9 Nick Frisby
8 Curtis Browning
7 Liam Gill
6 Adam Korczyk
5 Rob Simmons
4 Cadeyrn Neville
3 Greg Holmes
2 Saia Fainga'a
1 James Slipper

16 Andrew Ready
17 Sam Talakai
18 Ben Daley
19 Lukhan Tui
20 Michael Gunn
21 James Tuttle
22 Jake McIntyre
23 Jamie-Jerry Taulagi

Does FTA fit in there somewhere? Or just when it's revealed that Hunt and O'Connor aren't sticking around...?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
The media release says that those guys have been signed to the Reds squad. Any chance that they are mostly Wider Training Squad signings?

If all of those guys have been signed to our main squad (and for 3 years mostly) then I simply have no words.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
It's not exactly a side to get easily excited about.

But, *if* Richard Graham stays coach (or is involved with the team at all), I don't really expect to see much of a difference in the team's results. It won't be worse - I don't believe it to be a "zero wins" kinda team. It won't be better either.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The media release says that those guys have been signed to the Reds squad. Any chance that they are mostly Wider Training Squad signings?

If all of those guys have been signed to our main squad (and for 3 years mostly) then I simply have no words.

Good point.

you would think there is a good squad that those signed to 2 years will be one year in the Wider Training Squad (EPS or whatever) and then 2 in the main squad.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
It's not exactly a side to get easily excited about.

But, *if* Richard Graham stays coach (or is involved with the team at all), I don't really expect to see much of a difference in the team's results. It won't be worse - I don't believe it to be a "zero wins" kinda team. It won't be better either.

gel, the other worry-invoking issue is just what this all means for the Reds commercially and financially into 2016 (coupled of course with just how the QRU's finances end up after 2015's lowered membership and $ gate income).

RR's imagined team above, now minus QC (Quade Cooper) etc, is hardly a crowd magnetising bunch. All the QRU's slickest videos and marketing drives won't disguise that fact.

After the RG debacle upon debacle I simply cannot see Reds 2015 members again falling for another set of 'glamour and glitz' announcements this year and such driving along their desire to automatically reenlist for 2016. There is today serious angst and disillusionment within even hitherto rusted-on Reds fans I know. The only possible momentum-creator for Reds membership into 2016 would be a Graham sacking (wholly and completely, no board members crony-led support coach role for him) and his replacement with a respected new HC possessing a decent track record.

I would imagine something similar will be true for Reds' sponsors, though usually there the lead times to pull-outs and reductions are longer given multi-year sponsor contracts.

For 2016, there may well be more ARU $s flowing to the Reds from the ARU's new media deal via SANZAR, but I worry that Reds' gate, membership and tactical sponsorship $ levels could return to c.2007-09 levels thus gradually imperilling, best case, the spare $ the QRU has for all of QLD amateur rugby and, worse case, the QRU's own viability as a whole.

Recall it was only the dramatic revival of the Reds in terms of a wonderful playing style, some really exciting players, and a much increased w-l% in the 2010-2011 period that dug the Reds out of the vast financial hole they they were in by 2009 and so allowed them to repay the solvency-restoring c.$4m loan back to the ARU. That major boost was needed to restore basic QRU viability.

All the current omens are that we are about to see at least two years where that crucial boost process is completely reversed.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Great to see the young guys getting locked in...but last time we bulk-hired un20s players (quirk, gill, schatz, toua and shipperly I think. Many of the recent young signings failed to make the un20 team or were on the bench. While it is SO important and fantastic they have been locked in...can we afford to have SO many in the 31 squad? Surely they must be in the WTS or EPS to work with Brad Thorn. Can't be competitve over a long season if your backups are mostly teenagers.

mafi, ready, thor, paraka, roddha, tui, Korzyke, fakasolia, browning, tuttle, greene, mcintyre, d.pauea, kerevi, magnay and CFS are all within about a year of playing un20s....half the squad potentially. Surely that's not quite balanced depth for a what is hoping to be one of the strongest provincial teams in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.