• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

A lot will depend on if the Reds keep Graham or not. If Graham stays, I won't be renewing my membership, and I am sure there will be thousands like me.

With all due respect, I really don't get this kind of thing.

I understand that members feel they can vote with their feet (or money) to send a message to the board regarding frustration and demanding change, but surely all this does is further weaken a bad situation.

You are penalising the club at all levels; the ability to recruit (and retain players), to upgrade facilities, to add value to grass-roots, etc, etc.

Buy your membership and support your club. If you really want to affect change, make noise on social media, send letters to the CEO and storm the floor at the AGM.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Now that's something I'd pay too see a good old fashioned lynching at the Reds AGM.. It's been too long since some ones stormed in sorted out any mess.. Way too PC these days.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

T

Train Without a Station

Daz I don't think you know what you are talking about.

So many of the comments on this thread have been complaints about social media comments being deleted or just disregarded by Reds admin and about letters being sent to the Reds renouncing membership and being ignored.

Are Reds members invited to attend the AGM? It's not a Reds AGM, it's a QRU AGM.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
@Daz, you forgot to mention holding up signs at the matches that "Richard Graham must go".

That's another thing that is as equally ineffective as the other things you have suggested.

*if* RG is still coaching, my wife and I will probably still be members next year as it is generally a nice night out every couple of weeks with some horrible, ugly, rugby in the middle of it that we try to ignore.

This is not an organisation that is just underfunded, or hasn't got a good grounding/history in the game, or is a fledgling club that needs to learn the ropes and structures needed to develop a winning culture.

This is an organisation that absolutely knows that their head coach is a complete incompetent at that role and is choosing to ignore that to the detriment of everyone for some reason.

This is an organisation that is choosing to lose.

I can certainly understand people not giving money over to such an abomination.

D

daz

Daz I don't think you know what you are talking about.

That is entirely possible and happy to concede that point. On the other hand, given how close and opinion-formed you are as a current Reds member, maybe I can see the tree's where you can only see the forrest.

So many of the comments on this thread have been complaints about social media comments being deleted or just disregarded by Reds admin and about letters being sent to the Reds renouncing membership and being ignored.

Are Reds members invited to attend the AGM? It's not a Reds AGM, it's a QRU AGM.

By all means go ahead and not re-new your membership. I think it will simply add petrol to the fire, but you are right to do as you see fit; It's actually in my best interests if the Reds fall over, as it means my team will have better access to the players you will no longer be able to afford.

T

Train Without a Station

Not really Daz. The ARU pays the salary cap to the teams anyway. No team is able to afford any players which the others can't unless they have room in their cap which the others don't, or if the player is a foreign marquee, which we can only have 1 of anyway.

The overwhelming fan feedback has been to get rid of Graham. Every opportunity possible fans have passed this on to management. When we are called asking for feedback, when we are emailed asking for feedback, on social media, on emails by our own accord.

Should we just continue to blindly support if we are ignored?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Not really Daz. The ARU pays the salary cap to the teams anyway. No team is able to afford any players which the others can't unless they have room in their cap which the others don't, or if the player is a foreign marquee, which we can only have 1 of anyway.

The overwhelming fan feedback has been to get rid of Graham. Every opportunity possible fans have passed this on to management. When we are called asking for feedback, when we are emailed asking for feedback, on social media, on emails by our own accord.

Just to add to that entirely appropriate post, one factor inciting us all to riot is the way the QRU has barely admitted concern or even acknowledgement that we the fans and members have had to endure two appallingly poor Reds seasons with a pathetic 28% w-l outcome and built largely (and sadly) on skill-less, dumb-headed play that was a travesty in relation to the traditions of precisely the opposite that Link and the team had build in 2010-2013 and that had totally rejuvenated the Reds brand in that time.

It's the almost wanton destructiveness and casual, arrogant disregard of something wonderful crafted in rugby in that short time which gave us all enjoyment and pride and made the QRU a bucketload of cash as the crowds and viewers poured in.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
@Daz, you forgot to mention holding up signs at the matches that "Richard Graham must go".
......(snip)

I can certainly understand people not giving money over to such an abomination.

gel, correct me if I am wrong, but was it not so that in fact one fan at a recent Reds game actually held up such a prominent sign in the crowd and Reds minders nearby asked, in fact insisted, that it was not displayed as it 'distracted from the game and was not appropriate'.

I am sure this was reported in the Courier Mail or such like.

T

Train Without a Station

The fact is that the fans have put up with 2 years of the Reds shitting the bed. The same fans barely wavered throughout the tough times prior to 2010. That was due to a lot of the pain being unavoidable.

I use the term "shitting the bed" because this time, it has been avoidable. The Reds had a strong base for 2010-2013 with great junior development to build on. It was not an unreasonable expectation at all for them to remain in the top half of the ladder with what Graham had been left with.

born-red

Chris McKivat (8)
For all the negativity, even my own about the signing of so many youngsters (only a negative f they are ALL in the 31, and not the EPS/WPS which would amazing!) ... there is NO DOUBT whatsoever, that I am excited/nervous about announcements tomorrow night..Reds are still my team!

D

daz

Maybe I'm just looking at this from a different perspective, but I love my club in-so-far as I refer the "whole" of the club. I'm sure you do too, and that isn't up for debate.

I see financial penalties as being detrimental to the "whole" of the club, rather than to specific elements of the club, if that makes sense.

So let me ask you this question: Assume you decide not to renew your membership. Would you still attend games as a general entry or basically boycott the entire year?

T

Train Without a Station

Probably would not attend.

It's the financial bottom that has seen the rise of the Reds and Waratahs in the past. Continually supporting as support over time slowly dwindles has proven to be the most detrimental actually.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
gel, correct me if I am wrong, but was it not so that in fact one fan at a recent Reds game actually held up such a prominent sign in the crowd and Reds minders nearby asked, in fact insisted, that it was not displayed as it 'distracted from the game and was not appropriate'.

I am sure this was reported in the Courier Mail or such like.

I was at the Reds v Rebels game at Suncorp in Round 14 taking photos for GaGR. There was a guy there at the southern end holding a sign that said, "If Graham stays, we go". I took a few pics that you have probably seen on this site. I'm not sure if he's the guy or not but he was there for at least the whole first half (I spent most of the second half up the other end).

He was decked out in all his Reds merch and was sitting alone. I spoke to him briefly and asked if he only came to the game to hold up his sign and he replied, "Yep". The guy was a member and clearly a strong supporter of the Reds and obviously thought that was his only way of getting his message across. If he was told to pack up or get out by the Reds staff then that would be a new low.

This is him.
b2e44a8a35989f41088b7d703ad5ee88.jpg

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
For all the negativity, even my own about the signing of so many youngsters (only a negative f they are ALL in the 31, and not the EPS/WPS which would amazing!) . there is NO DOUBT whatsoever, that I am excited/nervous about announcements tomorrow night..Reds are still my team!

What's the deal with the Rebels logo in your posts then? I don't care particularly, it just amused me. :)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
You will all become Rebels supporters eventually. The QRU board secretly work for the VRU; it's part of our long-term conference domination strategy.

Players first, then the fans. So far, so good.

:p

I am offering no ultimatums to the club. I'll be emotionally attached to the Reds come what may. Daz, all the same I find myself increasingly interested in the Reds "B team". If in deed "B" can apply to the Rebels anymore.

I can imagine a blood letting in the board room, new HC and a sensible Director of Rugby, with hubris and a real plan. I'd be back 110%. This seems increasingly like mindless optimism.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
RG has lost the players - no doubt about that. - happened in 2014.

RG does not inspire the fans.

RG must go and until he does the reds will suffer both on and off the field.

Blind Freddy can see that.

We have a great brand, full of history and success. I hate seeing the brand being dented.

Hopefully tomorrow night we get some answers. I'll hold my breath, down quite a few RED wines and patiently wait...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.