• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Scrubber just make sure you leave some in the tank to support the Bond Pirates in the major semi final on Saturday.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
I guess Peter Grant's confirmed signing today by the Force just contrasts what's been happening here, in terms of recruiting Super Rugby ready players?

I believe these youngsters, who are not yet up to this level, will start, but the QRU will be bringing back some players from the 1970s to mentor them.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
<snip>The vacant 5/8 slot will be announced in the upcoming weeks and they are showing interest in a All black currently abroad.</snip>

Luke McAlister (Toulouse) and Stephen Donald (Mitsubishi) are the two that spring to mind for me. I never rated either of them highly but of the two I think I would prefer Luke.

Am I close?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'm stoked we've signed those batch of young players. I think they are all excellent players. Surprised Greene is only 1 year however.

Regardless, it doesn't lessen my concern for next year. We've lost too many options over recent years to be able to fill that depth. It just shows a lack of foresight in my eyes.

Some big announcements will be needed to convince me otherwise. A Fijian leaguie winger, Kane Douglas, Hendrick Tui won't do it. And unless its Dan Carter I don't think a former All Black from overseas will do it either. Particularly if its Carlos Spencer!

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Scrubber just make sure you leave some in the tank to support the Bond Pirates in the major semi final on Saturday.

Train, well done on Pirates getting to the semis, good luck with that, maybe you can get a late call up to the Reds squad! Had a look at the Pirates website - what's up with that? The latest news is from 2014.

T

Train Without a Station

Train, well done on Pirates getting to the semis, good luck with that, maybe you can get a late call up to the Reds squad! Had a look at the Pirates website - what's up with that? The latest news is from 2014.

We're targeting QLD Premier Grade admission in 2016 haha.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
You will all become Rebels supporters eventually. The QRU board secretly work for the VRU; it's part of our long-term conference domination strategy.

Players first, then the fans. So far, so good.

:p

Not without a bloody fight Daz!

I KNOW..hm in my details its says reds and brothers so I'm not sure!

ahh fixed it.boom

Got one back.

Now does anyone know what Higgers's's alias is on here?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Maybe I'm just looking at this from a different perspective, but I love my club in-so-far as I refer the "whole" of the club. I'm sure you do too, and that isn't up for debate.

I see financial penalties as being detrimental to the "whole" of the club, rather than to specific elements of the club, if that makes sense.

So let me ask you this question: Assume you decide not to renew your membership. Would you still attend games as a general entry or basically boycott the entire year?

daz, if I go back to c.2010-11 here, weren't you a then-local Force supporter that somehow also at that time supported the Reds in some way? The Rebels being your 'latest' fan incarnation?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I'm stoked we've signed those batch of young players. I think they are all excellent players. Surprised Greene is only 1 year however.

Regardless, it doesn't lessen my concern for next year. We've lost too many options over recent years to be able to fill that depth. It just shows a lack of foresight in my eyes.

Some big announcements will be needed to convince me otherwise. A Fijian leaguie winger, Kane Douglas, Hendrick Tui won't do it. And unless its Dan Carter I don't think a former All Black from overseas will do it either. Particularly if its Carlos Spencer!

I could be over-parochial, but does anyone think as I do that, from the State that produced M Lynagh and QC (Quade Cooper), it's a fucking sad day that the QLD Reds no less are having to IMPORT FFS a full-time 10, and then on top of all that, perhaps an ex-AB.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)

Matbe the announcement of a playing comeback by RG.

he could be Captain Coach

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I could be over-parochial, but does anyone think as I do that, from the State that produced M Lynagh and QC (Quade Cooper), it's a fucking sad day that the QLD Reds no less are having to IMPORT FFS a full-time 10, and then on top of all that, perhaps an ex-AB.

Yes and no RH. As good as we are at producing top talent, guys like Lynagh and Cooper don't come along all that often and we'd be foolish to expect that.

Whilst I would love nothing more to select only from within our own Rugby nursery and at the same time making finals after finals, it just doesn't work like that. Astute recruitment of foreign marquees can bring so much to a club like the Reds. Dan Braid is a great example. Alby Mathewson for the Force was an excellent pick up.

The danger is that we end up doing a Danny Cipriani/Melbourne Rebels type thing. *shudders*

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Particularly when we've let go a few decent 10s of late.

Don't expect any big announcements tomorrow night. I'm guessing it will be Douglas only.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Particularly when we've let go a few decent 10s of late.

Don't expect any big announcements tomorrow night. I'm guessing it will be Douglas only.

A few people mention Mike Harris going as being a big loss (and he was) but lets not forget that he is Auckland born and raised and was picked up by Link from the ITM Cup. He wasn't a product of QLD Rugby and we'd do worse than shopping in the NZ Domestic scene for another one of him or better. An ex-AB would be a step up again.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)

I don't want to dwell on it, but for someone who advocates for the recruitment of the coach to be far reaching and to secure the best for the job regardless of where they come from, the over-parochial view of our search for a 10 seems a little contradictory. I know they are slightly different, but there are certainly some similarities also.

EDIT: I just re-read your post and I may have missed the point a little. I acknowledge that your post is more lamenting the sad state of affairs that result in the need to search elsewhere and not an opposition to said search.

T

Train Without a Station

None of the 10s lost prior to this year were very successful when tried there. Lucas was the best and he still had his struggles.

D

daz

daz, if I go back to c.2010-11 here, weren't you a then-local Force supporter that somehow also at that time supported the Reds in some way? The Rebels being your 'latest' fan incarnation?

Nope. I was based in Perth for a few years for work, so went to Force games so I could watch rugby as a neutral.

I supported the Reds for the better part of a decade, simply because I spent a lot of years in QLD and needed a team to hang my hat on, even though I didn't really feel a true connection and was never a paid up member. However, I'm a Melbourne boy in my soul, so I dropped the Reds the very second the Rebels entered the competition.

I wrote a front page article about this very thing last year.

I'm sure you will use this as a way of explaining some of my views, by saying I am a mercenary supporter with no true allegiance, but you would be way off the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.