• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
^ That might be true but the available evidence would suggest that Hunt is at his most effective on attack when joining the line from 15 and getting to pick and choose his times to strike a bit more than he can at 13. Kerevi is the bulldozer, he takes 1 centre spot and realistically Ant Fainga'a will take the other 1. Goromaru is a nice story but I wouldn't have signed him for a number of reasons.
- We could have used our Jap spots to chase the best Jap player which is Amanaki Mafi. Dynamic back row bruisers with a bit more maturity and experience than our young bulls are an area of greater need.
- Hunt has proven himself to be better at 15 (see above). To me it makes ore sense to go with Hunt primarily at 15 with an Australian journeyman back up (or JJT if he'll be fit)
- He's a national hero. They should have let him play for the Sunwolves

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
So is the update 35 man squad;

Props
Slipper
Holmes
Daley
Talakai
Fa'agase

Hookers
Fainga'a
Ready

Longbacks
Douglas (injured)
Simmons
LLT (the big young lock)
Neville

Back Row
Tui
Gill
Schatz
Browning
Fakaosilea
Korzcyk
Gunn

Halfbacks
Frisby
Tuttle

10's
Jake Mac

Centres
Kerevi
Magnay
Duncan P
Fainga'a

Wingers
Kuridrani
CFS
Nabuli

15's
Hunt
JJT
Goromayru

In one of the other many "squads" the Reds are running
Paraka
Tupou
Mafi x2
Rodda
Gale
Greene
Banks

Have I got that right? With EPS, EDS, WTS it all get's very confusing. Do we any squad spots left. It seems that Hooker and Inside backs are where we might be short

Red-L

Frank Nicholson (4)
Hunt is average and will be lucky to make run on IMO. Not to sure where this hype is coming from other then from commentators. Passes to ground/drop balls/slow for a super back/small and first up misses in defence is all I have seen from him in the NRC.

Goromaru is a great signing. With Quade and Will gone and the same coach we all know we are not going to be scoring tries. His boot will keep us in games.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Hunt is average and will be lucky to make run on IMO. Not to sure where this hype is coming from other then from commentators. Passes to ground/drop balls/slow for a super back/small and first up misses in defence is all I have seen from him in the NRC.

Goromaru is a great signing. With Quade and Will gone and the same coach we all know we are not going to be scoring tries. His boot will keep us in games.
Hunt dropped a lot of ball in the last two NRC matches but in other games that I saw he clearly stood out as having class.

I think the only team Hunt will be lucky to make the run on will be the Wallaby spring tour starting team. He will be picked in the Wallaby squad this season and will be very good for the Reds.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Just on the Douglas thing, It sucks and I know he will be doing rehab but as a silver lining he may have more time at home for his baby, I was lucky enough to play house hubby for a while, toughest and best experience ever.

Dru, Gel's enthusiasm got me to renew, I agree it was a weird feeling hitting the submit button, it shouldn't feel that way. We're all in this together now.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Just saw on the website they are floggin the "million dollar jersey" for 2016 already. I don't mind it, looks like it could be comfy.

T

TOCC

Its not much change from last year, BLK will change it for the sake of change but it looks pretty much the same.

Goromaru has a bit of cult following in Japan especially following his RWC efforts, with the inclusion of Japan in Super Rugby next year it will be interesting to see what/if any profile boost it gives to the Reds in Japan.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Its not much change from last year, BLK will change it for the sake of change but it looks pretty much the same..

Except it cost a million bucks to develop, surely BLK would have developed this as a new jersey type platform for all their clients not just a million dollar one for the Reds. Reading the blurb about it at the online store, a fair bit of Lycra is used.

Is the red a slightly different shade?

T

TOCC

Except it cost a million bucks to develop, surely BLK would have developed this as a new jersey type platform for all their clients not just a million dollar one for the Reds. Reading the blurb about it at the online store, a fair bit of Lycra is used.

Is the red a slightly different shade?

Take the '$million' claim with a grain of salt, it's probably the amount that BLK have spent on all development and marketing over a set period leading up to this, apparel companies always make claims like that when they release new clothing.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
^ That might be true but the available evidence would suggest that Hunt is at his most effective on attack when joining the line from 15 and getting to pick and choose his times to strike a bit more than he can at 13. Kerevi is the bulldozer, he takes 1 centre spot and realistically Ant Fainga'a will take the other 1.

I agree with this. Too many people are writing Ant off. Forgetting how good he has been for the Reds. No frills player for sure - but at his best is our defensive leader and essentially like having a 7 in the backline.

We would do well to remember that defense and ruck work go a long way to having a successful super rugby season.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Take the '$million' claim with a grain of salt, it's probably the amount that BLK have spent on all development and marketing over a set period leading up to this, apparel companies always make claims like that when they release new clothing.

yeah, its more along those lines.

Meanwhile, I suspect the Reds are making a strong play for the Japanese market.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
So according the trailer the new Reds jersey looks like the new Toulouse jersey, with a strange line in the middle of the jersey:

Reds_jersey_2016.jpg

New_Toulouse_Rugby_jersey_BLK_2016.jpg

T

TOCC

Its ok, the line looks a bit stilly but might look better in full uniform
12187680_10153601143935236_1780335399732505616_n.jpg

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Goromaru has a bit of cult following in Japan especially following his RWC efforts, with the inclusion of Japan in Super Rugby next year it will be interesting to see what/if any profile boost it gives to the Reds in Japan.

Something like 2k new followers after the announcement of the Goromaru's signing

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
When would KD's contract with the reds actually start?

There must be all sorts of liability arguments going on at the moment between the ARU, QRU and their insurance company's.
It must have already started or he wouldn't have been able to play for Australia.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
If you sign a contract that binds you in TO play for a province for at least 2 years, then you can play for Aus. That signed contract doesn't necessarily have to have started yet.

If today, S.Timani signed a 2 year contract with the rebels STARTING in Novemeber 2016 for 2017 competition, he could play for the wallabies tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.