• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
They should make up their mids and pick the teams as there is not much time left and those that you mentioned above have not started training or running with the u20 training squad as yet.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
We've been hearing about all these young, talented world-beater backs in Queensland for a coupla seasons now. Two things seem to be happening to them:
  • they don't reach their potential and don't beat anyone, or
  • they go down injured.
Why?
Based on no evidence other than a gut feel, I think that Qld rugby has a setup conducive to producing talent, but there is something in the Reds setup that severely impedes the development of that talent.

I think the brumbies have the best setup, and I think the tahs and now the rebels are also pretty good.

The apparent inability of the Reds to adequately self analyse, and/or learn from others is one of the issues impeding them.

Red-L

Frank Nicholson (4)
Goromaru should here for the trials one would think. His top league team got bundled out 2 weeks ago now.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Based on no evidence other than a gut feel, I think that Qld rugby has a setup conducive to producing talent, but there is something in the Reds setup that severely impedes the development of that talent.

I think the brumbies have the best setup, and I think the tahs and now the rebels are also pretty good.

The apparent inability of the Reds to adequately self analyse, and/or learn from others is one of the issues impeding them.
I think Link was too loyal to his premiership winning team,and by the time he worked it out he was on his way to what he thought was bigger & better things.
He was then succeeded by an incompetent.
Bit hard for youth to blossom in those circumstances.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
I'll take a stab. Like doing this. So our best available team for Trial #1

Slipper, Douglas, Korczyke, Tui, Sautia, JJT and Goromaru unavailable for that early ?

1. Daley 2. Fainga'a 3. Holmes
4. Neville 5. Simmons
6. Fakasolia 8. Schatz 7. Gill
9. Frisby 10. Mcintyre 12. Fainga'a/Taefu13. Kerevi 11. Nabuli 14. Kuridrani 15. Hunt
16. Ready 17. Paraka 18. Faagase 19. Matwijow 20. Browning 21. Gale/Tuttle 22. Greene 23. Laloifi

Would like to see A.Mafi, Thor, L.Tui, Tuttle, Sorovi, Mason, Magnay & Perese all play big roles in the u20 curtain raiser which I think is on?

Means as many as possible get a good match.

And yes just realised it could potentially just the Brisbane City backline to start with...

Few injury concerns;
FTS and FTA have been in rehab since returning from the holiday period

1. Daley 2. Ready 3. Holmes
4. Simmons 5. Neville
6. Fakaosilea 7. Gill 8. Schatz
9. Frisby 10. McIntyre
12. Taefu 13. Kerevi
11. CFS 15. Hunt 14. Nabuli

16. M Mafi 17. Faagase 18. Talakai
19. Matwijou 20. Browning
21. Tuttle 22. Greene 23. Kuridrani

Besides the players in rehab e.g. Slipper, FTA, FTS, Douglas and returning Japanese players Tui & Goromaru. That's probably the Reds match-day squad. Don't see many changes.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Few injury concerns;
FTS and FTA have been in rehab since returning from the holiday period

1. Daley 2. Ready 3. Holmes
4. Simmons 5. Neville
6. Fakaosilea 7. Gill 8. Schatz
9. Frisby 10. McIntyre
12. Taefu 13. Kerevi
11. CFS 15. Hunt 14. Nabuli

16. M Mafi 17. Faagase 18. Talakai
19. Matwijou 20. Browning
21. Tuttle 22. Greene 23. Kuridrani

Besides the players in rehab e.g. Slipper, FTA, FTS, Douglas and returning Japanese players Tui & Goromaru. That's probably the Reds match-day squad. Don't see many changes.

Love your work.

Still I remain concerned at 10 and hope Greene is being given a shot. With unknowns I think we need to let both have a view of the big seat. Also, I'm really hoping to see more of Korczcek (bugger the spelling!) than waiting for injury.

T

TOCC

QRU should release their annual report soon as well, it will be interesting to see what impact the last two years of poor performances have had on the revenue of the organisation. QRU forecast last year that the last of there debt would finally be paid off In 2015($7million paid off since 2009).

The last few years has seen net cash flow profits of $800k-$1million, I imagine 2015 will be closer to $700k with a forecast increase to over $1million in 2016.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think Link was too loyal to his premiership winning team,and by the time he worked it out he was on his way to what he thought was bigger & better things.
He was then succeeded by an incompetent.
Bit hard for youth to blossom in those circumstances.

I wasn't referring to just the last five or six years (except for the rebels, of course).

Good on Simmons for the captaincy.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Love your work.

Still I remain concerned at 10 and hope Greene is being given a shot. With unknowns I think we need to let both have a view of the big seat. Also, I'm really hoping to see more of Korczcek (bugger the spelling!) than waiting for injury.

I'm still struggling with all the love for Greene. McIntyre has been the 10 for Brisbane City who have won the NRC twice, player Aust 20's and for the Reds (where he did ok). What has Greene done that gets all this love? He has a monster boot and apparently runs fast. Played ok for Wests first year out of school but wasn't part of the Aust 20's program. Did he set the world on fire for Qld Country?

I hope they both have time in the trails and we can get a gauge on them from there but I think it would be a big risk not to start McIntyre for round 1.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Its about watching them both play and whether you like their style. Admitedly my only viewing has been NRC and I just found McIntyre conservative.

But its not love for Greene. Just our options arent strong and I'd like to see how they both shape up before one is written off.

If I had seen more flair Id be less bothered by making a call now.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'm still struggling with all the love for Greene. McIntyre has been the 10 for Brisbane City who have won the NRC twice, player Aust 20's and for the Reds (where he did ok). What has Greene done that gets all this love? He has a monster boot and apparently runs fast. Played ok for Wests first year out of school but wasn't part of the Aust 20's program. Did he set the world on fire for Qld Country?

I hope they both have time in the trails and we can get a gauge on them from there but I think it would be a big risk not to start McIntyre for round 1.

yeah, I thought he did. He looked about the only option for Country to get points and I mean more than just his boot. Looked very dangerous in attack. I thought he was excellent and showed more with less, in terms of players around him.

I don't think its a risk to start him ahead of Jake when you consider all he has is a cap off the bench, whilst Jake just has two starts (and one of the bench). What Jake really has, and what will secure him the starting spot, is a combination with Frisby inside him and the likes of Samu and Karmichael outside him.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

I just don't see McIntyres value add.
Yeah he was in the two winning City sides but last year,they literally played around him.
They won despite him, not because of him.
In most cases the 20's side is a composite of the previous 2 Schoolboy sides,so it's no wonder Greene was not selected.
From the little I have seen (NRC only),
Greene has a better boot,moves better,reacts to opposition decisions better,and is a better ball player.i think they are both a risk defensively at Soup level.
I don't think its a risk to play Greene,as I believe that you are doomed to fail with JM starting.
But time will tell!

Reactions: dru
T

TOCC

Well two questions which are critically important, who is the better goal kicker and who is the better tactical kicker?

Goromaru is obviously a goal kicker, but I think it's too early to have him as an automatic inclusion. So, who is next in line?

And clearing kicks and kicking for field position, who is better out of Greene and McIntyre?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.