• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeh those two randos you pointed out would be filling in for Tui and Goromaru for face digital swap probs.

L. Tui is next to douglas

T

TOCC

Makes sense, what about the guy in between RG and Simmons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Jim Tucker giving Mack Mason a good rap this morning. Should lead the u20 team around well, but great to read he should also get a crack in one of the reds trials.

Kids got the goods. If he can do a good job with QLD u20, earn a spot in AUS u20, be the starter 10 for QLD Country (actually from the Qld country...) then by 2017 he will really be making Greene and Mcintyre earn their spots.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Jim Tucker giving Mack Mason a good rap this morning. Should lead the u20 team around well, but great to read he should also get a crack in one of the reds trials.

Kids got the goods. If he can do a good job with QLD u20, earn a spot in AUS u20, be the starter 10 for QLD Country (actually from the Qld country.) then by 2017 he will really be making Greene and Mcintyre earn their spots.

First time I have heard this kids name. Like you say be good to him and not give him too much responsibility too young. Let him enjoy growing into the main squad. I don't like the trial bolter talk from Tucker.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
First time I have heard this kids name. Like you say be good to him and not give him too much responsibility too young. Let him enjoy growing into the main squad. I don't like the trial bolter talk from Tucker.

The bolter trial talk is all good and well however we have to be realistic with these young players coming through e.g. Mason, Tupou etc. The boys are still kids, period. We can't throw them in the deep end too early in their careers.

Sure a few minutes in the trials won't harm them but we need the majority of the match day squad to get as much as possible. Beside from an injury toll, I don't see both getting much of if any game time this season.

T

TOCC

Mason is one for the future, not 2016, its great to have him back in Rugby Union though.

Mason was playing 1st XV Rugby for Downlands in year 9 and 10 with Jason Gilmore as coach, Gilmore then moved to Churchie in 2013/2014 and took Mason with him, he was the 5/8 for the all conquering Churchie 1st XV of 2014, which was probably one of the best QLD schoolboy teams in the past 10years( besides BSHS of 2009). Jason Gilmore joined the Reds as U20's coach in 2015 and has slowly assembled a squad featuring a few of his former Churchie team.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Thanks for the background TOCC. I would love these young guys to be nurtured and not brought in till they are ready. Seems like for ever that the reds have injury crises exposing the next generation too early.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
Thanks for the background TOCC. I would love these young guys to be nurtured and not brought in till they are ready. Seems like for ever that the reds have injury crises exposing the next generation too early.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Mason is one for the future, not 2016, its great to have him back in Rugby Union though.

Mason was playing 1st XV Rugby for Downlands in year 9 and 10 with Jason Gilmore as coach, Gilmore then moved to Churchie in 2013/2014 and took Mason with him, he was the 5/8 for the all conquering Churchie 1st XV of 2014, which was probably one of the best QLD schoolboy teams in the past 10years( besides BSHS of 2009). Jason Gilmore joined the Reds as U20's coach in 2015 and has slowly assembled a squad featuring a few of his former Churchie team.

Gilmore coached at TGS, never Downlands.

T

TOCC

Yes my mistake, Gilmore coached Mack Mason in 2012 but it was for the QLD U16 rep team and not at Downlands. In 2013 Gilmore moved Churchie and recruited Mason and a few others from the U16 Rep squad including Harley Fox, Richie Asiata, and Izaia Perese.

Just to give a bit more of a background, GAGR's own LG nominated Mason as fly-half of the tournament at the 2012 U16 National Tournament. But yeah i agree, nurturing the young guys and bringing them through slowly needs to occur even if there is a temptation to rush them, at least the development pathway is much better then it used to be with the rumoured U20's tournament and the NRC.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I went to one of those Churchie games, against my former school, specifically to watch that amazing fullback (Ponga?) and Harley Fox. They were good (Perese was outstanding) but the previously unknown to me Mason was just brilliant. Controlled that game wonderfully. A fantastic rugby brain.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Ponga perese and fox got most the raps in that year. I saw some of those churchie games to, but (as a prop) it was only when a former schoolboy flyhalf starting to point out to me what mason was doing it was really amazing. I hadn't seen nor expected game control like that in schoolkids before, hence I didn't even care to notice.

He's only a year or so younger then mcintyre and greene. I think he's 20 already? So if he follows a similar path, through aus u20 and NRC first, then he's a a genuine long term option. I'd say his experience in the league setup written about in that article, and what little I've seen of him, he gives me more hope for the future then the other 2 slightly older ones do.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I only got to see a handful of Mason playing and training (and nearly 2+ years ago to boot..) but he was an absolute gun then and it's no surprise to hear he's still playing at that level. He was one of those players that seemed almost overwhelmingly comfortable playing in their position of choice - bossing a game and setting players up looked totally natural for him.

T

TOCC

Goromaru should arrive at Ballymore next weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.