• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Surely Gilly must feel a little snubbed yet again? i'm very happy for Simmo and his dedication to Queensland Rugby deserved some recognition but Gilly has just led us to a 2nd NRC title and was leading us all year last season with some unbelievable performances, hes very articulate and surely as respected amongst the playing group as Simmo. i dont understand the decision tbh.

Gilly is great but you have 2 young blokes ahead of him - Slipper and Simmo. He is terrific on and off the field.
It would have been a disgraceful decision to install Gilly over the current VC - it would have sent a terrible message to the group (IMO).
Unfortunately Gilly's tenure at the Reds must be coming to an end. He has been loyal and given great service but IMO he is out of the Wallaby mix for the next few years (because of Hooper and Pocock). He needs to look after himself financially and head to Europe or Japan to fill the coffers. He may be obe of the new breed that returns to Australia towards the end of his career.
From a selfish point of view I would much rather him stay

Does anyone know when his current contract finishes ?

Reactions: LMU

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Gilly is great but you have 2 young blokes ahead of him - Slipper and Simmo. He is terrific on and off the field.
It would have been a disgraceful decision to install Gilly over the current VC - it would have sent a terrible message to the group (IMO).
Unfortunately Gilly's tenure at the Reds must be coming to an end. He has been loyal and given great service but IMO he is out of the Wallaby mix for the next few years (because of Hooper and Pocock). He needs to look after himself financially and head to Europe or Japan to fill the coffers. He may be obe of the new breed that returns to Australia towards the end of his career.
From a selfish point of view I would much rather him stay

Does anyone know when his current contract finishes ?
Gill's only 23 - I think he's got a few years left in Oz rugby before he needs to worry about chasing the overseas dollars.

Only an injury or 2 away from being back in the Gold jersey too.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Gill signed a one year contract for 2016 I believe. I think he's keen to see what happens in the coaching role(s).

LMU

Allen Oxlade (6)
From a selfish point of view I would much rather him stay[/quote]

I agree completely, we are much better off having Gilly in OZ rugby. He was huge for the Reds last year.
However I fear he is under valued and any topup from the ARU will be too little to keep him here, in the face of the French Euros being touted.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Gill should surely be the player the Reds look at putting on a flexible contract. He's not going to get an ARU top up but clearly he's a world class player and vital for the Reds.

Instead of playing the NRC he could easily go and make some extra coin in Japan.

LMU

Allen Oxlade (6)
Gill should surely be the player the Reds look at putting on a flexible contract. He's not going to get an ARU top up but clearly he's a world class player and vital for the Reds.

Instead of playing the NRC he could easily go and make some extra coin in Japan.

That is the best idea I have heard this week. If you are risking injury, it may as well be for Millions of Yen.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

and QLD have some fantastic 7s coming through which could benefit from quality NRC game time.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
The Reds have released their 'Goromaru Membership'. Pretty clever marketing given the new fan base the Reds have gained with his signing. :)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454369224.052144.jpg

EDIT: pretty clear indicator on whether he will play fullback or somewhere else as a few were guessing at some pages back.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Has anyone who got the email the other week saying "whoops, we didn't send your membership pack" actually had it turn up yet?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Reds have released their 'Goromaru Membership'. Pretty clever marketing given the new fan base the Reds have gained with his signing. :)

EDIT: pretty clear indicator on whether he will play fullback or somewhere else as a few were guessing at some pages back.

I've said this previously, but I think the Reds were a little taken aback by the impact of this signing. They have apparently been INUNDATED with requests for access etc. So this "Goromaru Membership" is too appease them. If marketed well they could get as many memberships in Japan as the Sunwolves.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Has anyone who got the email the other week saying "whoops, we didn't send your membership pack" actually had it turn up yet?

I spoke to the again today.

Mine still has not arrive and they tell em it will arrive in the next few days.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
View attachment 7391

I was speaking to the membership people today and they said they have sold a few of these in both QLD and Japan so far.

I suggested they also do it for other players, I would certainly buy a Liam Gill membership.

I doubt Richard Graham memberships would do so well

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I like the idea of the Goromaru membership as it has such a wide appeal in Japan, however, I wouldn't be so keen if they started doing it for other players in the squad.

Where do you draw line? The Reds might flog 5,000 Liam Gill memberships but how many Rob Simmons would they go through or Jake McIntyre? Could it psychologically affect players if they were aware their 'personal' membership packs weren't selling? Would you have to market them for every player in the squad or just the 'leaders'?

I think it creates too many issues.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I hear that the Reds trial coming up is being streamed, and Rugby Reg is commentating, but don't know any other details.

Nothing in RedsTV yet.

Reactions: dru
T

TOCC

Jim Tucker article suggests Frisby-McIntyre halves pairing with Taefu at 12 and Karmichael at fullback for the first trial match.

Gunn, CFS, Daley and Luckhan Tui are all fit again after offseason shoulder surgery. Goromaru and Hendrik Tui won't play the first trial.

Team lineup to be released tomorrow morning I imagine..

Status
Not open for further replies.