• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Don't despair, Scoey, the presents'll all be soon broken and the paper'll be cleaned up and thrown away. Somewhat of a metaphor for the Reds these last few Januarys..... :cool:

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Ahhh..... No one does pessimism quite like a Tahs fan! ;)

We'll be right Lindo ol mate! We'll be right.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
St.George Queensland Reds v Crusaders
Pre-season match, Ballymore Stadium, Saturday 6 February

1. Ben Daley
2. Andrew Ready
3. Sam Talakai
4. Cadeyrn Neville
5. Rob Simmons (C)
6. Lolo Fakaosilea
7. Liam Gill
8. Jake Schatz
9. Nick Frisby
10. Jake McIntyre
11. Eto Nabuli
12. Henry Taefu
13. Samu Kerevi
14. Chris Feauai-Sautia
15. Karmichael Hunt

Reserves
Saia Fainga’a
Sef Fa’agase
Taniela Tupou
Ben Matwijow
Lukhan Tui
Curtis Browning
Maclean Jones
Michael Gunn
James Tuttle
Mack Mason
Chris Kuridrani
Duncan Paia’aua
Campbell Magnay
Alex Gibbon
Sam Greene

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
That looks a pretty useful lineup Reg - are all those reserves actually allowed to be used in a trial or are they culling the list? I will be interested to Nabuli as haven't seen him before - hopefully he can provide some speed and strength when we need it.

What's the thinking on Duncan P's position now? Last year he was meant to be the back up to Quade at 10, then injured and then I think in U20's and NRC he mainly played 12 so wondering what position he is seen as. Considering Mason and Greene are in that reserves list they would seem to be the 10's backing up Jake at this stage.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
nelic, agree, a pretty decent squad. Some real talent. Some young guys who will need to step up big time. It's a trial, so all bench players will play I suspect. Will make it hard for whomever is commentating this thing! The reserves are basically a 2nd half team I suspect.

I think Duncan P is perhaps more a centre now. He actually played very well there on his few runs for Country. Looks like he will play 12 here, in the 2nd half, with Greene at 15.

1. Ben Daley - Sef Fa’agase
2. Andrew Ready - Saia Fainga’a
3. Sam Talakai - Taniela Tupou
4. Cadeyrn Neville - Ben Matwijow
5. Rob Simmons (C) - Lukhan Tui
6. Lolo Fakaosilea - Maclean Jones
7. Liam Gill - Michael Gunn
8. Jake Schatz - Curtis Browning
9. Nick Frisby - James Tuttle
10. Jake McIntyre - Mack Mason
11. Eto Nabuli - Chris Kuridrani
12. Henry Taefu - Duncan Paia’aua
13. Samu Kerevi - Campbell Magnay
14. Chris Feauai-Sautia - Alex Gibbon
15. Karmichael Hunt - Sam Greene

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
You've got to imagine that the first choice team is what they'll run with in the Super Rugby season.

Poses an interesting question - has Ready finally supplanted Saia in the starting team?

(Obviously when Goromaru arrived there will be a re-shuffle in the backline at the expense of Taefu. Shame - I'm quite a fan)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'm comfortable with Ready starting. They'll probably rotate a bit.

As for that being the Super Rugby starting team, Goromaru arrives at Ballymore on Monday so I assume Tui does too. I'm guessing they will play next week v the Brumbies and we'll see how they go then. But they'd be strong options too.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
I'm comfortable with Ready starting. They'll probably rotate a bit.

As for that being the Super Rugby starting team, Goromaru arrives at Ballymore on Monday so I assume Tui does too. I'm guessing they will play next week v the Brumbies and we'll see how they go then. But they'd be strong options too.

Reg, I read that Hendrik Tui has arrived already this week and is expected to be available for the Brumbies trial match.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
This actually looks like a fairly useful team. In a relatively down year for the Aussie conference I could see us finishing third if the new coaching staff gets it right.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Crusaders lineup for the trial: Crusaders: Marty McKenzie, Jone Macilai, Sean Wainui, David Havili, Sione Fifita, Ben Volavola, Leon Fukofuka; Jordan Taufua, Tim Boys, Jimmy Tupou (capt), Scott Barrett, Luke Romano, Mike Ala'alatoa, Ged Robinson, Alex Hodgman. Replacements: Codie Taylor, Ben Funnell, Joe Moody, Oliver Jager, Samuel Whitelock, Mitchell Dunshea, Reed Prinsep, Mitchell Drummond, Richie Mo'unga, Kieron Fonotia, Mitchell Hunt, Johnny McNicholl, Nemani Nadolo.

Interesting to see Marty McKenzie there at fullback - he has come from the Chiefs, played ITM Cup for Taranaki at 10, his preferred position. He is seen as vying with Volavola for the starting 10 role but can play across the backline. His brother is Damian McKenzie who I think is still with the Chiefs.

The Crusaders lineup is clearly experimental - lots of debuatants, none of the key AB's, no Matt Todd, but interesting to see Ged Robinson there - he played for the Rebels for a few seasons I think. Some of the new guys have a lot of speed apparently - Macilai on the wing is a Fijian Sevens player, Andy Ellis is still in Japan, the halfback starting Fukofuka is part of the Wider Training Squad so we will not be able to read much into the result of this match at all, hopefully though it provides a good hit out for the Reds guys and gets them off to a good start. I notice that the prop Ala'alatoa is an ex Waratah.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Ged I think is into his 2nd Season as the Saders 3rd stringer, after being the 3rd stringer at the 'Landers in 2014. Interesting that in a fairly experimental line up, Pete Samu isn't playing. IIRC, he's a Vic boy that moved to Sydney and played with Randwick, and spent the last 2 seasons with Taranaki before bring signed to the Crusaders.

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
^ bugger, was looking forward to watching Quade.

Will be heading out to Ballymore for the trial so hopefully we put on a good show

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I believe they plan on streaming it same as last year on RedsTV TOCC. Pretty sure RugbyReg will be calling the game also!
Last I read though (maybe on a Reds Instagram post?), the details of the broadcast were still being sorted out.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Does anyone else think Greene should start at flyhalf for the Reds in 2016? Or has consensus been achieved with McIntyre?

Please note: This isn't a pro-Brothers statement.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
From what I've read over the last however many pages, the majority probably feel that there isn't a lot between the two; both bringing somewhat contrasting pros and cons. I'm hoping they both get decent minutes to show what they can bring at this level and also to develop them both at a similar rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.