• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Wouldn't be surprised if Gill goes to the UK actually. His skill-set would be particularly valuable in a marketplace where Southern Hemisphere open-sides are the new black.

I thought it was just an Aussie flavour being coaches of national sports in the UK. We've got moles inside their Rugby, Cricket and now Loogie. Just need to work out how to get Ange into the FA!

T

TOCC

Wouldn't be surprised if Gill goes to the UK actually. His skill-set would be particularly valuable in a marketplace where Southern Hemisphere open-sides are the new black.

Yep I think UK clubs would value Gill more then French clubs, but then again French clubs have more dollars then sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think a Premiership club would offer him loads given how well Smith and even Salvi have gone over there. He'd be automatically the 2nd best 7 in the Premiership after George.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
English clubs are cashed up with an increase in their salary cap of over £1m from £5.1m to £6.5m in 2016/17 per franchise, including 2 excluded players (read marquee) and scope for a 'joker' or two. They've got the dosh

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I think a Premiership club would offer him loads given how well Smith and even Salvi have gone over there. He'd be automatically the 2nd best 7 in the Premiership after George.
You have to have a fairly recent international cap to qualify for a UK work visa iirc.

He may not qualify. Any British grandparents?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)

Not forgetting Rob Louw, Brendon O'Connor, TJ Ioane and Daniel Braid who all feature in the Aviva Premiership.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Just looked it up. To get a UK work visa you need to have a full international cap in the 15 months before the application.

When did he last play for the Wallabies?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
huh? What does that mean, there's a ton of foreigners over there who don't have international caps at all

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
huh? What does that mean, there's a ton of foreigners over there who don't have international caps at all
Depends on the countries EU relationship - if the country is in the Cotonau agreement/Kolpac etc. Some places have different requirements to us.

Australia isn't in those agreements so we need to get visas/work permits.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Is it serious that Gill is leaving the reds?​
If so, that is nothing but a tragedy.​
Gill is still so young and I would absolutely, unequivocally prefer to keep Gill for the next seven or so years over a guy like Gunn.​

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I thought it was just an Aussie flavour being coaches of national sports in the UK. We've got moles inside their Rugby, Cricket and now Loogie. Just need to work out how to get Ange into the FA!

Can we send Graham Arnold instead. Ange is doing a good job here and Arnie is an angry man.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
It's 18 months without playing internationally at 15s or 7s to make the Olympics switch isn't it?

Don't know about specifics on Eligibility but if one grandparent has a British passport, theoretically he'd be able to fast track his own, then his national eligibility would be based on where that Grandparent was from.

At some point someone suggested the States as well. A couple of tournaments this series then a cap in the June internationals could make him eligible.

It's all moot until his intentions become clear though.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Are all 7s matches based on IOC eligibility or are only the Olympics and Olympic qualifier tournaments? If it's the latter he'll have to wait until 2019 to swap.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
It's not just a rumour! It's an "Intruder" rumour. He gets more things right than wrong.

I was almost certain about the Lealiifano one but this one with Gill is catching a lot of fire. The Reds are now trying to come to the party however a French deal looks very likely for Gill in 2017. Not so much leaving the Reds, however the ARU with what looks like McMahon is preferred over Gill.

Status
Not open for further replies.