• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Its a solid buy but nothing more. Think you could of got more value looking abroad to fill a gap for a season if needed. Cordero from the Puma's is looking for a club. Could of got him for a year waiting for a youngster to come through and also a better player than Toua

I reckon the price tags on those two players would be substantially different.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Higgers was a brilliant captain at the Rebels. Played his best footy and lead from the front. Excellent choice in my opinion
Led from the front thats for sure. Dont think his tactical nous is so great. Poor decisions cost the Rebs at least two games i can recall. But i think he is a very good choice for the Reds and Thorn.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
How many years has Higgers got left? I dont think many would think we are a contender this season and I wonder if we should look at a young captain to take us forward, kind of like Horwill did from a young age. I would prefer to have Paia'aua as captain for our lead up to victory in 2020
I’m a big fan, but Duncan is still a very young guy who has had one pretty good year. He is neither a seasoned player nor a proven performer over an extended period.

I’m happy to let him concentrate on backing up/improving on last year.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
What's the go with George Smith now? Ignoring the Japanese taxi thing, is he out with a back injury or was that overblown? Jim Tucker on news.com.au when talking about Higgers as captain option mentions a backrow of Timu, Higgers, and Smith but I thought that there was a possibility of Smith not being available for much of the season?

T

TOCC

Its a solid buy but nothing more. Think you could of got more value looking abroad to fill a gap for a season if needed. Cordero from the Puma's is looking for a club. Could of got him for a year waiting for a youngster to come through and also a better player than Toua

You get what you pay for... ‘a solid buy but nothing more’ is worth about $400k less then Cordero form the Pumas.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
You get what you pay for. ‘a solid buy but nothing more’ is worth about $400k less then Cordero form the Pumas.

He's been on a contract at the Jaguares who pay less than the Australian Super sides do, just thought with the European season half over he could be interested in a 6 month contract which would see him through until the next Euro season. Munster and Leicester were showing interest but that's died down. Anyways extremely unlikely to happen, Aus clubs aren't that creative or ambitious in thinking

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think slipper or Higs as captain is exactly what we need with such a young squad. I'd absolutely have a Tuttle or DP as a VC, working on their leadership skills and maturing as players with a look to becoming the next captain.

Higs is around for 2018 and 2019, whilst slipper is only turning 29 next month, still plenty of years left in him at the Reds if he wants it.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Toua is a good pickup mainly because I believe he would have been a bargain buy on the back of a japanese season, it gives us a kicker in the back field and an option for an experienced FB with positional nous.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Slipper great leader as a senior player but I don't want a prop as captain as it is to easy to get offside with the ref in that position. Higgers is probably the best option.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Higgers was a good leader for the Rebels and (I think) played some of his best footy when in the captain's shoes, however his relationship with the referees was *sometimes* sub-optimal.

He is definitely my choice though.

Of course - we severely screwed the pooch by pissing off our best candidate a couple of years ago :(

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I thought they were talking about Higgers captaining at the Tens, not the season.
And Toua is not a good pick up. He was a dumb player when he left. He was a dumb player at the Brumbies. If he hasn't smartened up by now it's not going to happen.

T

TOCC

The article on captaincy was about the Super Rugby season.

I think Higgers is a reasonable candidate, agree that having a prop as captain can be a little delicate, especially if on the receiving end of a dominant scrum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

T

TOCC

Tai Ford, Bond Uni no.7 looks to be another training in the wider squad as well. Bit of a late bloomer, but I thought he had a very impressive NRC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I thought they were talking about Higgers captaining at the Tens, not the season.
And Toua is not a good pick up. He was a dumb player when he left. He was a dumb player at the Brumbies. If he hasn't smartened up by now it's not going to happen.

Spot on, ever since he was playing in High School he's kicked it way too much (causing many coaches to go bald!), I think bottom line is he doesn't like going into contact (what sane person doesn't!) and perhaps he over rates his kicking ability. He'll be a nice utility back playing 11, 14, and 15 but I don't see him starting unless there are injuries. He *might* get the go ahead over the unproven (at Super Rugby) Daugunu but I suspect after a spectacular NRC that won't be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.