• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Douglas has been one of our best the last two weeks.

Maybe he needs to take someone’s legs out or do a tip tackle so people notice him.

Linebreaker

Allen Oxlade (6)
What's going on with Nick Jooste?
Wasn't he in the Squad or something, he was in the 10's squad and looked pretty good. Likely a better prospect than Teti Tela or Lachlan Maranta.

Josste? stop smoking that stuff ZC, he's here because he has a part contract with AR and Brumbies didnt want him.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Early days, but starting to get a bit of a Highlanders 2014 vibe off the Reds. They had that awful 2013 season where they'd brought in a few big names (Nonu, Woodcock, Thorn) and then ended up cleaning much of them and their existing names out for 2014. Really started to build something out of the players they had and snuck into the finals before winning it all in 2015.

The rugby wasn't identical but the way they laid a foundation around their available strengths and then built from there is feeling pretty familiar.

Given Thorn was there to watch this all happen I wouldn't be surprised if this is the experience he's drawing from at the moment. It's probably a bit more relevant then his time at the Crusaders/All Blacks/Broncos.

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
Reds are not playing pretty but who cares they are winning and giving their all. Well done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

The Reds should keep an eye out for Caleb Timu, he was an absolute standout at Schoolboys level and was the starting 8 for Australian schoolboys in a team which featured Browning and McMahon, he was signed by the Broncos following school and earned praise as one of the most promising forwards in the system.. He started on a mormon mission at the end of last year so isn't likely to be available for 2015, but as an 18yr old he was 190cm and 108kg with a frame similar to that of Cliffy Palu.

I believe his mormon mission is due to continue for another 12months, but i'd hope the Reds are keeping an eye on him.

It only took 4 years, but Caleb Timu has finally arrived as the player i had hoped of him...

Now who do you start next week against the Stormers, Higgers or Timu, personally i would just play Higgers at blindside and keep Timu at 8, but i think that might unbalance the backrow. Conversely Timu has had a few monster games in a row, so perhaps using him off the bench might be good for him.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It only took 4 years, but Caleb Timu has finally arrived as the player i had hoped of him.

Now who do you start next week against the Stormers, Higgers or Timu, personally i would just play Higgers at blindside and keep Timu at 8, but i think that might unbalance the backrow. Conversely Timu has had a few monster games in a row, so perhaps using him off the bench might be good for him.

I suspect that Thorn doesn't hold a lot between 1st 15 and the rest. I would imagine we may see some rotation. I'd bench Korczyk and start Wright at 7. Higgers 8. Pick a 6. Wouldn't be surprised to see Douglas start from the bench either, though he completely in form.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I'd also imagine that Stewart and DP may be looking to second half time, repeating this week.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
It only took 4 years, but Caleb Timu has finally arrived as the player i had hoped of him.

Or Vice versa with Higgers coming off the bench. After all, he's only played 9 minutes of Super 15 this season

TSR

Mark Ella (57)

I would like to see 8. Timu & 6. Higgers and I would be tempted to play a 6 forward bench and keep ASY (Angus Scott-Young) & Wright to come on late.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
In that case, he probably won't be the captain next week.
I can't see BT putting on a player who is not match fit from the start whistle.

Yeah some match fitness would be ideal.

Higginbotham will be the captain. Would be surprised if he gets relegated to the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.