• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Sorry to burst your bubble

Reds players Moses Sorovi and George Smith unveiled the unique Indigenous Round jersey, designed by Samantha Booth, whose three children Shelley (Year 9), Dinequa (Year 8) and Natalie (Year 7) are Reds Future Indigenous Leaders Program participants in Woorabinda, Central Queensland.

The program seeks to identify young Indigenous leaders from remote communities and mentor them from school years 6-10, ensuring they display positive behaviour and attend school.

Samantha is a proud Butchulla woman. The Butchulla people are the Traditional Owners of K'gari (Fraser Island). She is currently a Special Education (& Well Being) Teacher Aide at Woorabinda State School.

"The Reds Future Indigenous Leaders Program is outstanding, and I can see how my three children are benefitting from being part of it - which will certainly help them in the future.

"This design was created to represent that all roads lead to home. With the hands as the central element, representing how family is at the core of every home. The warm colours represent the earth we stand on the dots represent different places across Australia, the animals represent bush food in Woorabinda and other communities, and the lines visually demonstrate that no matter where you go, you always come home.

"My first experience of Rugby Union was playing for the Maryborough Wallaroos and playing for Maryborough High School around the same time," Samantha said.

Don't worry about bursting my bubble !

It's nice, educational and extremely worthwhile hearing the story of the "art".

Otherwise it is just a series of dots.

Well done Samantha !

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
bugger. its locked.

general gist?? Souths crowds up and crowds up when he plays away too?

Here you go, today's Courier Mail online

"LAST week a Sydney rugby writer took the long handle to the Queensland Reds.
Nothing he wrote was untrue. Money is tight, crowds aren’t great and the Reds won’t make the Super Rugby play-offs — although after upsetting the Rebels last weekend they could now end the season with six wins — a 50 per cent improvement on last year.
And yes, as he says, Queensland Rugby is in the ridiculous situation of having to pay Quade Cooper and Karmichael Hunt hundreds of thousands of dollars to play club rugby for Souths.
Now the jury is still very much out, so to speak, on the rights and wrongs of the Hunt case, but I take a different tack on Cooper.
True, the $325,000 component of QC (Quade Cooper)’s $650,000 annual salary that the Reds are up for is an awful lot of money, but it’s not completely wasted.
In fact, Brisbane clubs might argue it is the best dough the QRU has spent for years.
A couple of weeks ago I was at a barbecue and people were talking about going to watch their local club rugby team in action against Souths.
Not that anyone mentioned Souths. They all said they were, “going to watch Quade Cooper”.
It is the same every week. I understand Brothers Rugby Club officials were devastated recently when Souths informed them during the week that Cooper was injured and wouldn’t be playing against them. For weeks they had been selling corporate tents for “Quade Cooper Day”.
Even so, a lot of people didn’t get the memo and the crowd was still massive in anticipation of the QC (Quade Cooper) Show.
As one rugby official told me yesterday, “he’s selling a lot of cans of beer”.
And that’s no small thing. With so much money being spent by the ARU and state unions to keep Super Rugby afloat, there isn’t a lot left over for the grassroots. The clubs have to use creative marketing to make a buck and get people along to their grounds.
Right now Cooper is the best thing they’ve got going for them — and no-one is cashing in more than Souths.
Not that it’s just about money for them. The one-time wild child of Australian rugby is proving to be an outstanding captain on and off the field.
He’s leading the way at training, hangs around after games until the last autograph and selfie, makes a speech to congratulate every player who makes his first-grade debut — the kind of things that used to happen in club rugby.
Interest in the Brisbane club scene is the strongest it has been for years, so much so that Fox has started replaying the Saturday match of the day on Wednesday nights and as from this week Triple M has come on board as sponsor.
The first game under the new sponsorship deal will be shown tomorrow week. GPS versus Quade Cooper … er, I mean Souths."

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
he makes a strong point that Quade has the pulling power to bring crowds and therefore money to our club rugby system. I am in agreement with him because every time a big name Reds players plays at Wests it makes me all the more excited to come down.
He creates goodwill for our grass roots system.
However I'm not sure it out weighs the monetary cost.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Thorn’s not really at the Reds to be a coach, he’s just a NZ special forces plant exacting revenge upon Quade for slighting King Richie all those years ago.

Comments like this were met with disdain back in the days of Deans. I know it's a joke but wonder if we can do better. I say this as someone who is increasingly irked by NZ in SANZAR and thought Thorn was a mistake up front.

I also have no doubt that Thorn is genuine when he says Brisbane is home.

There are three fundamental issues here:
x Thorn has been thrust in too early - largely a QRU issue
x "My way or the highway" only works if you have a few runs on the board
x No business or sport can be competitive with a very large $chunk of their investment sitting unused.

FWIW while I would prefer locally developed coaches, when that pathway has been poor, NZ builds some of the best coaches on the globe. They should be welcome at the Reds.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Comments like this were met with disdain back in the days of Deans. I know it's a joke but wonder if we can do better. I say this as someone who is increasingly irked by NZ in SANZAR and thought Thorn was a mistake up front.

I also have no doubt that Thorn is genuine when he says Brisbane is home.

There are three fundamental issues here:
x Thorn has been thrust in too early - largely a QRU issue
x "My way or the highway" only works if you have a few runs on the board
x No business or sport can be competitive with a very large $chunk of their investment sitting unused.

FWIW while I would prefer locally developed coaches, when that pathway has been poor, NZ builds some of the best coaches on the globe. They should be welcome at the Reds.
I really couldn’t give a rat’s arse where the coaches come from. Cron and Gibson are both from NZ but there’s hardly been any mention of that now the Tahs have started performing. Like almost any other job in the 21st century, professional coaching is becoming globalised, pick the best man for the job regardless of where they come from and judge them on performance.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Anyone noticed how Thorn kind of sounds like Sly Stallone when he speaks. Sorta grunts as he forces air out of his muscle bound throat.

Not that this is a issue for me.

But I wonder what’s the deal with Paul Carozza doing the half time coach interview during most of the super rugby games.

Is Brad Thorn shy? Or is it simply Thorn is sending Carozza out to the tv interviewer while he finishes up his chat with the team?

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Is Brad Thorn shy? Or is it simply Thorn is sending Carozza out to the tv interviewer while he finishes up his chat with the team?

After watching Brad lead the warm up last Friday night, I do wonder if he has a problem delegating? Previous HC's would oversee the warm up, but Brad was literally screaming "up" for each exercise on the pads. Was strange to see considering they have a S/C guy who's worked with the firebirds when they won the netball championship.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
After watching Brad lead the warm up last Friday night, I do wonder if he has a problem delegating? Previous HC's would oversee the warm up, but Brad was literally screaming "up" for each exercise on the pads. Was strange to see considering they have a S/C guy who's worked with the firebirds when they won the netball championship.

That is his way of engaging the team. Thorn doesn't have the runs on the board as a coach but they will follow him based on what he did as a player. I think as he grows/develops as a coach he will rely less and less on that.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2018/07/11/mcdermott-told-to-cut-hair-by-thorn

Seems pretty weird that Thorn would require players to cut their hair short(er).

It's not the army.

Did he talk to Ben Lucas as well? He had a pony tail. What would he have made of George Smith when he had dreadlocks? Or Ardie Savea? Sounds like what Singapore used to be like in the 70s - forcing guys to cut their hair to enter the country. I don't care what their hairstyle is, as long as it doesn't detract from their playing of the game. Just seems to add to the idea that Thorn wants conformist robots with no individuality. Memo to potential recruits - list your bench press PB, get a letter from your pastor, and get your hair cut, otherwise go elsewhere. Maybe Twiggy can set up a WSR team here for disaffected Reds supporters and players.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
If I recall correctly McKenzie did the same thing with Cooper. I’m pretty sure Cooper praised him for it in some sense later.

I’ve heard of it happening a few other times too.

It seems to happen often enough - apparently Samson wouldn’t have made much of a footballer.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
If I recall correctly McKenzie did the same thing with Cooper. I’m pretty sure Cooper praised him for it in some sense later.

I’ve heard of it happening a few other times too.

It seems to happen often enough - apparently Samson wouldn’t have made much of a footballer.

Pretty sure it was Horan who recommended that QC (Quade Cooper) get rid of the rat-tail all those years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.