• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Considering that Douglas returned to Australia (and broke his contract with the Irish club early) to 'be close to wife's family' I can imagine she is not impressed with having to move overseas again. Still, that is the life of a pro sportsperson and have to assume that he was not getting the offers from the other Oz Super Rugby sides of a similar size to wherever he is off to.

Her comments seemed to focus around the lack of communication from the organization regarding Kane’s non-selection for his last game at the Reds - they had family fly up from Sydney, etc.

While no player has a mortgage on the jersey this seems to speak to the lack of organization/emotional intelligence that have become hallmarks of the current Reds administration.

If nobody wants to play for us I guess it really doesn’t matter who the coach is - maybe if the QRU/Reds rehires their marketing department they can find a way to put a spin on this ;)

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Ok, so I THINK the Reds scored 49 tries this season (16 games) for 389 points total.

That's the most since 2011 when we scored 51 tries (18 games) for 477 points.

So you could say it's the most tries we've ever scored in the regular season.

Unfortunately we have also conceded the most number of points we've ever conceded in the regular season.
We also won a game without scoring a try at the start of the season.

It would be interesting how many tries we have scored with a one man advantage due to an opponent being sent off or binned. We seem to only be able to get a numbers advantage from the referee and not through quick passing to get the overlap.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Her comments seemed to focus around the lack of communication from the organization regarding Kane’s non-selection for his last game at the Reds - they had family fly up from Sydney, etc.

While no player has a mortgage on the jersey this seems to speak to the lack of organization/emotional intelligence that have become hallmarks of the current Reds administration.

If nobody wants to play for us I guess it really doesn’t matter who the coach is - maybe if the QRU/Reds rehires their marketing department they can find a way to put a spin on this ;)

Yes that lack of communication is pretty crap. It appears that Thorn just used the match to give a newbie a cap (Blyth) which is fine but doesn't allow for any send off for Douglas. Given that other departing players were selected to start (Nabuli and Lance) I guess he decided he had enough depth in lock to do that.

The selection that I thought was most odd was that for the Indigenous Round he benched Sorovi, who had been playing well. Surely the most identifiable indigenous player in the team who has been starting because of his own capabilities (not a token selection) is put on the bench for the round that relates to indigenous people? I would have thought someone at the Reds would have spoken to Thorn about the smarts of doing that but it appears he has free reign to do whatever he wants.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I don’t think the dropping of Douglas to blood Blythe was necessarily well timed or that the communication to him or his family was, based on reports, handled as it should have been. Nor do I completely follow the switching of halves for this game. And I get the rational for wanting Sorovi to start in the Indigenous round.

However, when it comes to team selection I would prefer a situation where a coach is given free reign as opposed to one where people in the back office have any sway in game day decisions. For better or worse, a coach needs to be empowered to make the decisions he feels best to achieve the desired outcome.

By the same token, Thorn (and his assistants) now needs to be accountable to the decisions they have made. It will be interesting what post season review process is implemented by the QRU.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I don’t think the dropping of Douglas to blood Blythe was necessarily well timed or that the communication to him or his family was, based on reports, handled as it should have been. Nor do I completely follow the switching of halves for this game. And I get the rational for wanting Sorovi to start in the Indigenous round.

However, when it comes to team selection I would prefer a situation where a coach is given free reign as opposed to one where people in the back office have any sway in game day decisions. For better or worse, a coach needs to be empowered to make the decisions he feels best to achieve the desired outcome.

By the same token, Thorn (and his assistants) now needs to be accountable to the decisions they have made. It will be interesting what post season review process is implemented by the QRU.

Thorn should be brutally reviewed - same as Richard at the end of the day.

We may have won a game or 2 more than last year under Stiles but I think we came lower in the ladder. That says a lot.

The way Thorn "manages" his players, his press conference skills is a fucking joke.[/quote]

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Thorn should be brutally reviewed - same as Richard at the end of the day.

We may have won a game or 2 more than last year under Stiles but I think we came lower in the ladder. That says a lot.

The way Thorn "manages" his players, his press conference skills is a fucking joke.
[/quote]
Technically we finished 1 position on the ladder above last year ;)

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Technically we finished 1 position on the ladder above last year ;)[/quote]

But we didn't have the Sunwolves in our group last year, and did have the Force (who were our bogie team that we struggled to beat).

O.J.

Frank Row (1)

The treatment of Kane Douglas to promote one of their 20's players leaving him on 99 Super Rugby games and disregarding the sacrifice he and his family have made for the good of Australian Rugby is disgraceful and typical of the Reds administration that is attempting to use our game for their own warped agenda. They hijacked the National 20s, they have pushed their youth policy to the detriment of Super Rugby and are displaying values that are against what our game stands for. It is not a surprise that they are performing so poorly. Is Thorn coaching for the good of Australian Rugby or New Zealand because at this stage I see no value for Australia or the Reds

Linebreaker

Allen Oxlade (6)
The treatment of Kane Douglas to promote one of their 20's players leaving him on 99 Super Rugby games and disregarding the sacrifice he and his family have made for the good of Australian Rugby is disgraceful and typical of the Reds administration that is attempting to use our game for their own warped agenda. They hijacked the National 20s, they have pushed their youth policy to the detriment of Super Rugby and are displaying values that are against what our game stands for. It is not a surprise that they are performing so poorly. Is Thorn coaching for the good of Australian Rugby or New Zealand because at this stage I see no value for Australia or the Reds

HERE HERE..

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
I'm happy with the decision. The Reds need to get better and Kane Douglas coming off the bench for 30 minutes wouldn't be beneficial for us next season so stop putting a negative spin on it

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I'm happy with the decision. The Reds need to get better and Kane Douglas coming off the bench for 30 minutes wouldn't be beneficial for us next season so stop putting a negative spin on it

totally agree, but this could be said for a number of players who started the game too.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)

That’s great, because between the way the players are treated and having an amateur head coach our side will look and play like a U-20’s team for the foreseeable future

But hey, Thorn actually had success at that age group.. ;)

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

The Reds had over 1,320 super rugby minutes to get better for next season but they couldn't spare a fraction of that time in a dead rubber of a game where we were already winning and a man up to say thanks?

We bitch and moan about player loyalty and how it doesn't exist, but here's a prime example of why we don't deserve it.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)

It would seem one item on the agenda for the Red's board should be re: the culture of staff including the HC on down. They are all part of the team, and if they don't respect the player's families, feelings, needs etc, then the player's will not respect them

Status
Not open for further replies.