• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Strangely how many of us have been following Quade?

His little bullshit with Auckland gives me a giggle. It's unlikely Quade is joining the Blues?

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Strangely how many of us have been following Quade?

His little bullshit with Auckland gives me a giggle. It's unlikely Quade is joining the Blues?
Well he did post an insta story from the airport yesterday.

So hopefully that means back to Ballymore for training but who knows.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ok, I am now of the belief that Quade and Frisby (and Vanzati) stuff was all a big beat up. I reckon Thorn has used the media to try to showcase a 'new start' at the Reds. I've no doubt he's given the 3 a big reality check and told them they need to lift their game, but I reckon they'll all be there come the start of the season and I, at least, would have all three in the 23 man match day squad.

Still plenty to go through around Karmichael, but I don't expect him to be there.

Which leaves us up shit creek without a 15. Even if we sign someone I expect they will be far from a starter given the season timing (Japan perhaps our only hope?).

So here are the candidates to wear the 15.

1) relocating one of our 10s. Either QC (Quade Cooper) or Stewart starts at fullback with the other one at 10. Of the two I'd be more inclined to play Quade there to allow the Stewart combo with Duncan to continue and because I think it more suits QC (Quade Cooper)'s game back there.
2) QC (Quade Cooper) plays 10 and Stewart plays 12 and Duncan moves to 15. He's played there before for QLD Country and a handful of times (at least) for his club side Norths.
3) Lachlan Maranta was signed to be a backup 15 last year. He failed miserably in his one start last year against the Brumbies. He played some good club footy for Wests, but at 13, and looks anything but a fullback.
4) The only other option in the squad is new signing Filipo Daugunu who was a stand out on the wing for QLD Country. I am not sure if he played any fullback for Wests but it would be a gamble selection, notwithstanding his electric pace and handy boot.
5) From the wider squad. Paddy James, Teti Tela and Jayden Ngamanu are probably the most likely candidates. Not sure where Jayden as wasn't named in the squad despite I believe having a year to go on his contract.
6) Premier Rugby - who knows? Jake Strachan might be an option. Alex Horan at a pinch. Byron Hutchinson, Todd Winkley are also club options.

So in summary, we're fucked at fullback. Genuinely.

As far as I can see Japan is our best beat and trying to convince someone like Ben Lucas, Aidan Toua, Jack Debreczeni or even Berrick Barnes to come back and play another season. At least we'll have a bit of money to play with.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I like your thinking Reg... Filipo Daugunu will be the fullback for the REDS. Decent enough boot and a handy pound for pound defender! I guess we are going to see which direction the REDS are heading when we see the first starting 15 for the preseason trials which can't be too far off.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Ok, I am now of the belief that Quade and Frisby (and Vanzati) stuff was all a big beat up. I reckon Thorn has used the media to try to showcase a 'new start' at the Reds. I've no doubt he's given the 3 a big reality check and told them they need to lift their game, but I reckon they'll all be there come the start of the season and I, at least, would have all three in the 23 man match day squad.

Still plenty to go through around Karmichael, but I don't expect him to be there.

Which leaves us up shit creek without a 15. Even if we sign someone I expect they will be far from a starter given the season timing (Japan perhaps our only hope?).

1) relocating one of our 10s. Either QC (Quade Cooper) or Stewart starts at fullback with the other one at 10. Of the two I'd be more inclined to play Quade there to allow the Stewart combo with Duncan to continue and because I think it more suits QC (Quade Cooper)'s game back there.
2) QC (Quade Cooper) plays 10 and Stewart plays 12 and Duncan moves to 15. He's played there before for QLD Country and a handful of times (at least) for his club side Norths.
3) Lachlan Maranta was signed to be a backup 15 last year. He failed miserably in his one start last year against the Brumbies. He played some good club footy for Wests, but at 13, and looks anything but a fullback.
4) The only other option in the squad is new signing Filipo Daugunu who was a stand out on the wing for QLD Country. I am not sure if he played any fullback for Wests but it would be a gamble selection, notwithstanding his electric pace and handy boot.
5) From the wider squad. Paddy James, Teti Tela and Jayden Ngamanu are probably the most likely candidates. Not sure where Jayden as wasn't named in the squad despite I believe having a year to go on his contract.
6) Premier Rugby - who knows? Jake Strachan might be an option. Alex Horan at a pinch. Byron Hutchinson, Todd Winkley are also club options.

As far as I can see Japan is our best beat and trying to convince someone like Ben Lucas, Aidan Toua, Jack Debreczeni or even Berrick Barnes to come back and play another season. At least we'll have a bit of money to play with.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

Did Perese come to notice at 15 in his first year of NRC? Is he an option? Pickle played 15 at U20 world cup I think, he can also kick a ball which is lacking in Australian 15's. He might also be an option. My preference out of the current squad is Paia'aua, I think he has all the skills to be a great 15 and has leadership to direct the back line into what is required.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I don't think Perese has played 15. Definitely not at NRC level at least.

Pickle is a pretty good shout to be honest (putting aside recent issues). He probably has the most experience at fullback out of the squad! I remember watching him there and him looking pretty damn decent. It may actually reinvigorate him.

QPRRF

Frank Nicholson (4)

QPRRF

Frank Nicholson (4)
Thank god your not coaching. Lets bring back a has been and and finish last and look really stupid again. Or maybe tap into the young breed here . Ask Quade Cooper what he thinks of Strachan. He’s our club freak. Last year played last 6 games with a seperated shoulder. Finally in the system and killing it training. Him and Finzy offered brumbies deals with club commitments Finzy gone he’s staying. If the reds train and play with his courage the may win some games. For god sake lads we have to give these young blokes a crack. Quade Cooper was the reason why he played the last two NRC games he demanded it. His mates tell me he benched 140kg last week and is now 88kg. Injuries no longer.

QPRRF

Frank Nicholson (4)
To win a super rugby comp you have to be professional the reds don’t even feed there players. Sam Cordingly doesn’t call any managers back. The whole set up is constant with finishing last. Who would want to coach at this shit fight

QPRRF

Frank Nicholson (4)
Reds v rebels. Breed them here
Reds v Jauguars. Breed them here
Ready for the bulls

Spend the first half of the season breading for the last half.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
narratgif_zps7zva4las.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.