• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
I get that Quade isn't what he once was (lost step after his knee blowing out and terrible into contact after his shoulder).

That being said he's on the payroll - it makes no bloody sense to just tell him to piss off & stay away from the squad!

He's also better than the other options we have & the money spent bringing in a replacement could have been better used shoring up some of those now looking to leave (or securing Genia).

If a contract to play means nothing to our coach, how can we expect our contracted players to stick around.....

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeh while like to see hunt play elsewhere on a one strike you are out there is no way reds could play him after his 2 strikes with them.

In fact I would respect if no other oz franchise wishes to sign him given his tarnished image etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Did the Brumbies ever actually make an offer? They had discussions I thought but nothing more

From the Brumbies coach, the discussions were informal and no offer made:
"We won't be going there. Quade indicated he wants to stay in Queensland try to get back into the Reds," McKellar said.
"There will be no further discussions from our end. It was an informal conversation ... I've known Quade from our links to Souths [in Brisbane] and it was just seeing where he was at."

Even if a deal was somehow done, the Brumbies would have only met part of the QRU payment share, IMO. They're not that dumb to just take it all on.

Might have still have been worth it for the Reds, mind you.

duckbill

Sydney Middleton (9)
I get that Quade isn't what he once was (lost step after his knee blowing out and terrible into contact after his shoulder).

That being said he's on the payroll - it makes no bloody sense to just tell him to piss off & stay away from the squad!

He's also better than the other options we have & the money spent bringing in a replacement could have been better used shoring up some of those now looking to leave (or securing Genia).

If a contract to play means nothing to our coach, how can we expect our contracted players to stick around...

And he is worth his salary just with the extra bums on seats - crowd figures are appalling and won't get any better...

After the misery of the RG years, I didn't think it could get worse but IMO it is - there is just no hope on the horizon. I said it when he was made HC, and I repeat it now - Thorn is not the answer and nothing he has done the last year has given me reason to think otherwise

Scott Robertson - now there's a proper coach - wonder if he could be tempted by the climate and the challenge? There's no other reason for anyone with half a brain to go to the Reds

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeh while like to see hunt play elsewhere on a one strike you are out there is no way reds could play him after his 2 strikes with them.

In fact I would respect if no other oz franchise wishes to sign him given his tarnished image etc

He's also kind of old and was good but not exceptional in Union. Not worth the slice of budget he'd demand.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
He's also kind of old and was good but not exceptional in Union. Not worth the slice of budget he'd demand.
I thought he was alright before the drama and noting he was improving as adjusted to the game. Anyhow I think if could be picked up on cheap would be good buy for brumbies as at least a good bench option for season or two.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
The Three.
1. Cooper - wasn't wanted by BY and Reds should have to pay his salary. End of.
2. Hunt- definite long term problem with the social use of illicit drugs. He is a journeyman who has changed codes in pursuit of the mighty dollar. He has no real loyalty to the Reds or rugby in general. However he was sanctioned for 3 weeks and fined yet BY is playing God by extending his penalty by a possible 2 years. Hunt has great prospects in suing BT and the QRU for liss of future earnings over the next few years.
3. Slipper. This bloke has spent his entire adult life at the Reds. He has been loyal blah blah yet fell over due to depression/wellness stuff. He deserved much better treatment. Again Slips was penalised at a Tribunal and accepted and owned his fuckup. It sounds like RA have been terrific and the SRI quite negligent.
The treatment of the 3 but Slips in particular has created big dramas with existing players and now some who are not prepared to play under Thorn and a rather toxic environment overseen or unforeseen by Miller and the Board.
Reds players and supporters deserve much much better

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I thought he was alright before the drama and noting he was improving as adjusted to the game. Anyhow I think if could be picked up on cheap would be good buy for brumbies as at least a good bench option for season or two.

It's a huge risk to take on the potential reputational damage that would arise if he got caught again. The potential upside he offers on the field doesn't seem worth that to me.

You would look like an unbelievable idiot if you signed him and he fell foul of the law again.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It's a huge risk to take on the potential reputational damage that would arise if he got caught again. The potential upside he offers on the field doesn't seem worth that to me.

You would look like an unbelievable idiot if you signed him and he fell foul of the law again.

I think this undervalues Hunt's still improving ability on the field, and over-estimates reputational damage. It is 2018 not 1980. You'd want to construct the contract carefully to avoid scenarios like now, where his actions are not enough to invalidate the contract.

The contract with RA is a different matter and there I agree that the downside can only (at this stage) be handled by no top up and no contract.

He's not likely to gain huge $ here in Australia and the likelihood is a very good purchase with the downside covered by the right contract clauses.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think this undervalues Hunt's still improving ability on the field, and over-estimates reputational damage. It is 2018 not 1980. You'd want to construct the contract carefully to avoid scenarios like now, where his actions are not enough to invalidate the contract.

The contract with RA is a different matter and there I agree that the downside can only (at this stage) be handled by no top up and no contract.

He's not likely to gain huge $ here in Australia and the likelihood is a very good purchase with the downside covered by the right contract clauses.

It is 2018 but I think you underestimate how much damage that would do to his employer if it happened for the third time.

I also think it doesn't really matter if you can fire him on the spot. The damage is done.

I don't think any other Australian side will be making him an offer.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It is 2018 but I think you underestimate how much damage that would do to his employer if it happened for the third time.

I also think it doesn't really matter if you can fire him on the spot. The damage is done.

I don't think any other Australian side will be making him an offer.

How much actual reputational damage has been done to the Reds? Plenty to Hunt.

Your last statement may well be true. Another scenario is that without top up, and with a reduced offer any deal on offer may simply not be closed. Even if an Australian franchise is willing to make an offer.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
The Three.
1. Cooper - wasn't wanted by BY and Reds should have to pay his salary. End of.
And I think they are.

Paying well over the odds from the start but they foolishly signed him too high.

Consider it a retirement package.

2. Hunt- definite long term problem with the social use of illicit drugs. He is a journeyman who has changed codes in pursuit of the mighty dollar. He has no real loyalty to the Reds or rugby in general. However he was sanctioned for 3 weeks and fined yet BY is playing God by extending his penalty by a possible 2 years. Hunt has great prospects in suing BT and the QRU for liss of future earnings over the next few years.
Yeah nah

3. Slipper. This bloke has spent his entire adult life at the Reds. He has been loyal blah blah yet fell over due to depression/wellness stuff. He deserved much better treatment. Again Slips was penalised at a Tribunal and accepted and owned his fuckup. It sounds like RA have been terrific and the SRI quite negligent.

He fucked up under pressure, we get that. Binned two months; that's his Super season done as handed down by RA.

Future is yet to be determined but if he has to suffer playing for Bond Uni or Melbourne Rebels on up to half a million a year, he needs to own that.

The treatment of the 3 but Slips in particular has created big dramas with existing players and now some who are not prepared to play under Thorn and a rather toxic environment overseen or unforeseen by Miller and the Board.
Reds players and supporters deserve much much better

I make no excuses for the running of the Reds but they've been a basket case for longer than Thorn or Miller have been in charge.

The re-signing of Cooper by the Reds two years ago was all their own work.

But the Reds were thrown a curve ball on Slipper this year with his contract going through blind, only some days before his two drug test positives were revealed.

I'm all for rehabilitation and a third chance but if Slipper has loyalty and integrity he needs to own that as well.