• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Whether thorn is right or wrong with his approach, I do actually admire him taken a strong position and sticking by it as at least consistent and maybe a old school hard nose approach is what is required to make reds great again. This is why I have found it hard to critise his position on Quade as he knew it would be controversal but stood by his belief on what was best for the team. Same with his position on drugs and hunt / slipper as hard to actually criticise someone taking a zero tolerance position on this and this is someone who would have loved hunt given another chance let alone slipper.

It is actually very easy to criticise a zero tolerance position. On any topic. Polemics like that will invariably lead to problems. Intelligence requires critical thinking and an understanding of a scale of grey.

In the mean time within the world of professional rugby in Australia no Head Coach should be allowed to intentionally trash the value of the investment provided by the board beyond the need for discipline. This comment applies to Hunt as easily as Slipper or Quade. Basic economics.

Look, these discussions are well circular at this point. Achieves little but I’m getting tired of letting go on this sort of post. May I suggest that if I can cope with living with “we are where we are” that the opposing view might do similar?

Otherwise it sounds like applied philosophy gloating.

I don’t wish to be done with the Reds and Thorn, but these incessant and repetitive conversations have already lead to at least one Reds fan withdrawing. Is that good for rugby?

Time to live and let live.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
According to Wayne Smith in The Australian Cheika is pretty ken to get Naivalu up to QLD to get him more game time in the lead up to the world cup:

Wallabies coach Michael Cheika sounded out Melbourne Rebels about allowing their Test winger Sefa Naivalu to move to the Queensland Reds next year to ensure he was given plenty of football in the lead-up to the World Cup and not caught in a selection bottleneck.
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...u/news-story/563ede5ccf90a1700e85710e4ebcc282

Goes on to say that the rebels and maybe sefa as well weren't too interested. Understand the desire and while I'd welcome him I think we need more of a fullback for that last outside back spot.

Article also has Dargaville as a recruitment target:

Queensland-born former Brumbies three-quarter James Dargaville is very much on the Reds’ recruitment list. A highly-rated player with a low mistake rate, Dargaville looked to be on the road to a long and successful Super Rugby career when he was chosen in the Australian under-20 side, but he could never quite nail down a permanent position at the Brumbies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Really Chek? The head of rugby in this country? The Reds don’t need any wingers. Not even ones that can play 13.

That’s what the Tahs need. Sefa should have been pushed there.

The Reds need a fullback. The top 4 fullbacks in the country are Izzy, Banks, DHP and Maddocks. Two of those play for the same club. That’s what Chek should have been trying to make happen.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I'm guessing that the Reds haven't got enough in the piggy bank to get any marquis players to fill in the 2 vacancies, especially on a 12 month contract.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Really Chek? The head of rugby in this country? The Reds don’t need any wingers. Not even ones that can play 13.

That’s what the Tahs need. Sefa should have been pushed there.

The Reds need a fullback. The top 4 fullbacks in the country are Izzy, Banks, DHP and Maddocks. Two of those play for the same club. That’s what Chek should have been trying to make happen.
Just seems beyond belief that anyone clued into Super and NRC would think QLD needed an extra winger. I'm not sure Sefa would necessarily even get a start at the Reds if Daugunu and Petaia were on the wing.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

You'd have thought the ARU and Reds could have put some pressure on the Rebels with Quade going south. Same with Slipper and the Brumbies.

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Depending on the new signings/recruits, I imagine this would be our best 23
1. Ruan Smith
2. Brandon Paenga-Amosa
3. Taniela Tupou
4. Izack Rodda
5. Lukhan Tui
6. Scott Higginbotham
7. Adam Korczyk
8. Caleb Timu
9. Moses Sorovi
10. Hamish Stewart
11. Filipo Daugunu
12. Duncan Paia'aua
13. Samu Kerevi
14. Jordan Petaia
15. Karmichael Hunt
RESERVES
16. Alex Mafi
17. JP Smith
18. Harry Hoopert
19. Harry Hockings
20. Liam Wright
21. James Tuttle
22. Chris Feauai-Sautia
23. Izaia Perese

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
1. Ruan Smith
2. Brandon Paenga-Amosa
3. Taniela Tupou
4. Izack Rodda
5. Lukhan Tui
6. Scott Higginbotham
7. Adam Korczyk
8. Caleb Timu
9. Moses Sorovi
10. Hamish Stewart
11. Filipo Daugunu
12. Duncan Paia'aua
13. Samu Kerevi
14. Jordan Petaia
15. Karmichael Hunt
RESERVES
16. Alex Mafi
17. JP Smith
18. Harry Hoopert
19. Harry Hockings
20. Liam Wright
21. James Tuttle
22. Chris Feauai-Sautia
23. Izaia Perese

Hunt won't play and Tuttle out for a while. JP to start over Ruan and Liam Wright will start at 7 not Korczyk.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'm sure I remember Tune showing up Lomu with the chip and chase but that's probably not the type of kick you mean!

I remember at least one in that 1998 England test match drubbing that Larkham ended up scoring from.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
1. Ruan Smith
2. Brandon Paenga-Amosa
3. Taniela Tupou
4. Izack Rodda
5. Lukhan Tui
6. Scott Higginbotham
7. Adam Korczyk
8. Caleb Timu
9. Moses Sorovi
10. Hamish Stewart
11. Filipo Daugunu
12. Duncan Paia'aua
13. Samu Kerevi
14. Jordan Petaia
15. Karmichael Hunt
RESERVES
16. Alex Mafi
17. JP Smith
18. Harry Hoopert
19. Harry Hockings
20. Liam Wright
21. James Tuttle
22. Chris Feauai-Sautia
23. Izaia Perese

I am tending towards this now:

1 JP Smith
2 BPA
3 Tupou
4 Rodda
5 Tui
6 Higgers
7 Wright
8 Timu
9 McDermott
10 Stewart
11 Daugunu
12 Kerevi
13 Petaia
14 Perese
15 Toua

16 Mafi
17 Hoopert
18 Ruan Smith
19 Hockings
20 ASY (Angus Scott-Young)
21 Sorovi
22 Paia'aua
23 CFS

Happy with that, other than fullback. we really need one!

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
This would be my starting 23:

1. JP Smith
2. BPA
3. Thor
4. Rodda
5. Tui
6. Timu
7. Wright
8. Higginbotham (c)
9. Tuttle
10. Stewart
11. Daugunu
12. Paia'aua
13. Kerevi
14. Perese
15. Toua

16. Mafi
17. Hoopert
18. Ruan Smith
19. Hockings
20. Korczyk
21. Sorovi
22. CFS/ASY (Angus Scott-Young)
23. Petaia

Sorovi to start, McDermott on the bench when Tuttle is out.

Gives us a squad of 34 (33 is you discount Hunt)

I wonder who the TBA prop, loose forward, flyhalf & centre are?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
If you were going with the team above I would be tempted to start Paia’aua at 15 over Toua.

Ideally, one of the remaining spots will go to a 15 who covers 10.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
FWIW my team on current squad.

1 JP Smith
2 BPA
3 Tupou
4 Rodda
5 Tui
6 Higgers
7 Wright
8 Timu
9 McDermott
10 Stewart
11 Daugunu
12 Kerevi - Paia’aua
13 CFS - Kerevi
14 Perese - CFS
15 Petaia

16 Mafi
17 Hoopert
18 Ruan Smith
19 Hockings
20 ASY (Angus Scott-Young)
21 Sorovi
22 Paia'aua - Perese
23 Toua

I must have CFS in there after his form this year. Never rated him however he was the most destructive ball runner in the Oz conference before he got injured. I also highly rate Duncan so would lean towards the second back line with him at 12... imagine with Kerevi, CFS, Daugunu and Petaia as running options. I can’t split McDermott and Sorovi both wonderful prospects, I’d love them to develop a kicking game like Gale’s. I think some time at 15 would be great for Petaia’s development at this stage of his career. Would rather that and have our best players on than Toua at 15 and having to drop a starting winger.

Forwards more or less pick themselves. 7 possibly the only contentious selection. Wright to get first crack for me. Interestingly I was reading “The Rugby Paper” a few weeks ago and Steven Luatua was being interviewed... they’re of the impression that G Smith is contracted to the Reds next year. He was saying they would love to have him back after the 2019 Super season. Wonder if they’re still working through that at the Reds. Clearly I’d be happy for it. Next gen of forwards learning from one of Australia’s best.