• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
Peter Ryan was Fiji's defensive coach during the November tests..maybe he might like the idea of coaching an international team in union, who knows castle might all him up.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Getting Sefa gives me a lot more confidence for the Reds next year. Our backline has a lot of potential, but a lot of things need to go right for it to be deadly. Sefa adds some consistency and experience that was lacking last year. Also now we don't have to just shift the ball to Samu every damn time, we have two options.

Edit:
This is the backline I'd go with:
9. Tate 10. Stewart 11. Sefa 12. Paia'aua 13. Kerevi 14. Daugunu/CFS 15. Petaia

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Or if Paia'aua continues to have a form slump and Thorn wants both Sefa and Kerevi closer in:

9. Tate 10. Stewart 11. CFS 12. Kerevi 13. Sefa 14. Daugunu 15. Petaia

I think I might almost prefer that second backline. That's some serious defensive starch running through with Stewart, Sefa and Petaia (and Kerevi if he can make contact).

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Or if Paia'aua continues to have a form slump and Thorn wants both Sefa and Kerevi closer in:

9. Tate 10. Stewart 11. CFS 12. Kerevi 13. Sefa 14. Daugunu 15. Petaia

I think I might almost prefer that second backline. That's some serious defensive starch running through with Stewart, Sefa and Petaia (and Kerevi if he can make contact).
Isn't he the next big thing at 13? so 12. Kerevi 13. Petaia.

Sefa really suits the strike winger role, even if he can do a job at 13.

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
too early for Jordan at 13, good cover but would you really trust him to start there against NZ teams (not the blues, the other 4) i personally think Cheika ensured Sefa moved to Reds so that he gets to play 13 there as the Rebels captain, Tom English was the designated 13 at Rebels..i'd like to see JP as the starting 13 at the Reds by 2020 though.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
too early for Jordan at 13, good cover but would you really trust him to start there against NZ teams (not the blues, the other 4) i personally think Cheika ensured Sefa moved to Reds so that he gets to play 13 there as the Rebels captain, Tom English was the designated 13 at Rebels..i'd like to see JP as the starting 13 at the Reds by 2020 though.
I don't see why not. In the ordinary course, an 18 year old wouldn't be trusted against anyone, anywhere. Lad seems up to it.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Form slump? .

Sorry mate but he came really good for the reds and was one of the best players in for QLd Country.

I believe he turned a corner with his Thorn benching and became a better player for it after spending time coming off the bench.

It’ going to depend on how the coaching team wants to shape up the back line. In essence twin pairing of “big boppers” or running a second playmaker. If it’s the first then Duncan’s value will be dictated by being able to be back up 10. If it’s the latter he starts.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The final piece of the St.George Queensland Reds 2019 coaching puzzle has been finalised with the appointment of Dave Alred as Kicking Coach.

Alred has mentored some of the biggest names in world sport, most notably the man who kicked England to a fairytale Rugby World Cup victory over the Wallabies in 2003 – Jonny Wilkinson.

He is also a trusted advisor for many golfers and most recently worked with Francesco Molinari, who with Alred’s help, became the first Italian professional to win a Major when he took out the 2018 Open Championship.

Alred holds a Ph.D. in Performing Under Pressure from the sports-renowned Lougborough University in England and is regarded as one of the world’s best elite performance coaches with more than 30 years of experience.

He has a proven ability to help athletes exceed their own expectations and has worked with world-class organisations, including the England Rugby team (four World Cups), the British and Irish Lions (three tours), the Springboks, the England Cricket team, and Manchester City.

Alred has already dipped his toe in the water at Queensland Rugby having spent time at Ballymore earlier this year developing the kicking skills of Reds contracted players who were preparing for the 2018 National Rugby Championship (NRC), including Hamish Stewart, Moses Sorivi and James Tuttle.

Alred said he’s looking forward to the opportunity with the Reds and working within a team environment again.

“I’ve missed working with a team. I’m still working with individuals in Europe and in professional golf, which challenges my thinking about skill development and performing under pressure,” said Alred.

“Having been in touch with Brad and seeing the ethos, work ethic and attitude he’s created is really a coaching dream to come in and start form scratch and try to have an influence on players in a way which hopefully will help them throughout the whole of their Rugby career.

“First of all my role is to give the players confidence and to give them a technique which is not physically debilitating. I’m very concerned about the biomechanics and how that works. Also teaching them how to kick under pressure and to have more of an appreciative idea of a kicking game,” Alred added.

Queensland Rugby Union (QRU) Interim CEO David Hanham said: “Dave is a world-leader in his field and his appointment completes our 2019 coaching staff roster.

“Improving the quality of our kicking from our Academy through to the Reds is a priority and we believe Dave will provide our players the development needed to achieve this.

“We’ve been focused on ensuring we have the best coaches with experience and proven success surrounding Brad Thorn.

“Dave will complement the coaching group to ensure the QRU continues to develop elite playing talent coming through the Queensland Pathway,” Hanham added.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Dave Alred signed on as kicking coach. I think he is also a bit of a expert in motor learning and skill acquisition as well as sports psychology.

While I'm still pretty sure the Reds are going to be bottom half of the table for another year at least I'm encouraged by the clear change in strategy to a more money-ball/Darwin theory approach (get talented players who have played together through the QLD system, keep them together make sure they are well coached). I think whoever is running the skeleton crew at the QRU (Hanham and others?) deserve some credit for having the courage to stick to their guns on this. If this squad and coaching team are able to be kept together for a couple of years I truly believe it could deliver some great returns (unlikely in 2019 though).

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
In other news, not sure if he was still on the books, but Lachlan Maranta has moved back to league to join the Dragons