1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Discussion in 'Rugby Discussion' started by RugbyReg, May 9, 2019.

1. PhilClinton Jim Clark (26)

And does any team have adequate compensation for a World XV tight forward that they’re willing to part with? At this point I’d be happy with a washing machine for Hockings and Lucas but you’d want at least 75c back on the dollar for Rodda.
  2. upthereds#! Bob Davidson (42)

Yes sorry, brumbies article said 2019, but in fact was 2017.
  3. dru Simon Poidevin (60)

After I don't know how long we were finally seeming to put some effort into building a 10. There's been several attempts, one at least built a great player. But building a true 10 is different.

There is the old adage when building a rugby team the first bloke you procure is #3. The second is his back up.

Now I know hooker is going to feed into this discussion at some point but very very soon you need that 10.

Losing Lucas is losing our future. Or at least what we thought was our future. At any rate it isn't good.
    Silverado likes this.
  4. Jimmy_Crouch Arch Winning (36)

Adequate compensation? QRU have no bargaining power in this scenario. They certainly will be on the wrong side of any deal proposed.

Also world XV is a bloody stretch. Rodda wouldn't be in the top 12. Off the top of my head NZ 4, SA 3, Eng 2, Fiji 1, Ire 1 and Wal 1 better locks playing for them.
    Getwithme and Derpus like this.
  5. Roberts Rugby Cyril Towers (30)

If that’s the case, they’re not the players we want to be the best performing Reds team of all time. If they don’t have the confidence or drive to prove they are the best man for the job, then bon voyage.
  6. PhilClinton Jim Clark (26)

I think they have a fair bit of bargaining power. They hold his contract for the next few years.

Take a look at another competition where unhappy stars and trades are more frequent such as the NBA. If a player is unhappy with the organisation, they hold them out of play until they can find what they believe is an adequate trade (or just stop them from playing until their contract expires and lose them for nothing). Granted that approach isn’t really in the DNA of Australian sports but it seems appropriate here. Rodda doesn’t want to play for the Reds? Fine, give us something for him or he won’t play professional rugby for three years and lose value.
  7. dru Simon Poidevin (60)

How can they do this without paying his wages?
    Jimmy_Crouch likes this.
  8. The Nomad Vay Wilson (31)

They can’t long term , the stand down rules only apply to situations of hardship outside of the employer’s control such as the current global pandemic.

It would be QC all over again.
    Silverado and PhilClinton like this.
  9. Rugger Mate Allen Oxlade (6)

Hey Phil, think your missing the point, They now don't hold his contract for the next 3 years as ARU and QRU have broken it by Compulsory making them take a 60% paycut or no pay at all, Think the Israel affair broke the ARU think what this will do, Let them go if they want to, will be the cheapest open long term,
  10. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

Our contracting system doesn't work like it does in American sports. The Reds don't have the ability to trade his contract.

On top of this as Rugger Mate points out, he may be able to be released from his contract entirely due to the COVID-19 situation.
  11. dru Simon Poidevin (60)

Just spiffy.
  12. PhilClinton Jim Clark (26)

Take the points, but isn't this whole thing because he doesn't want to alter his contract and be part of the COVID stand down? By refusing to take that agreement, haven't those three players kept the current conditions of their contract intact for now, and therefore Rodda is still contracted to the Reds for the long term?

Anyway this is getting too legal mumbojumbo for me, my point was more along the lines of what Nomad has said where I could see this becoming a QC situation again if Rodda is deadset on moving to another franchise and the Reds successfully argue that his current contract with them remains intact and they would be seeking some type of compensation if he were to move.
  13. Derpus Simon Poidevin (60)

Yeah Rodda is serviceable at test level but he's no AWJ, Etzebeth or Retallick.
  14. upthereds#! Bob Davidson (42)

Australias best starting lock combo would be Arnold and Skelton.
  15. Brumby Jack Steve Williams (59)

Reports the 3 players in questions have terminated their contracts with QRU and RA.

When/if this is official, will post any updates
  16. qwerty51 George Gregan (70)

Had to happen. All three off to Japan you'd imagine.
  17. PhilClinton Jim Clark (26)

Skelton hasn't played for the Wallabies since 2016 though. If we're talking about current players available for selection and with international form, Rodda is one of the first forwards picked, in my opinion.

Of course that may all mean nothing if he signs overseas now.
  18. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

Likely to be moot with the news that they have terminated their contracts but it would be a massive call for the Reds to sit Rodda out until 2023 and keep paying his contract.

At some point they'd opt to let him go so they actually get benefit out of the dollars being spent. Other teams know that the Reds have very little bargaining power in this situation.
    dru likes this.
  19. sunnyboys Ted Thorn (20)

The question now, is how many more are going to leave for more certainty??
    Silverado likes this.
  20. KOB1987 Steve Williams (59)

My read on the article is that they had to terminate their RA contract to get out of the Reds one, so there's still hope they can renegotiate a new RA contract if they sign with another franchise. Picone is booting the boot into the Reds but not RA.

“Izack Rodda, Harry Hockings and Isaac Lucas respect and support their teammates in their decisions and understand that each individual player will assess the situation in relation to their own circumstance,” Picone said.
    Picone urged the new RA management – which includes chairman Hamish McLennan and interim CEO Rob Clarke — to adopt a “more nuanced” approach to player relationships and player movement.
    “It is disappointing the QRU chose to air the issues publicly,” he said. “Given the parlous state of rugby in Australia and Queensland we offered the organisation the opportunity to deal with these matters in private and confidentially. This offer was rejected.
    “It would be wise for the Reds and RA to maintain amicable relationships with these players. The future is uncertain, but we should always have as many players in the tent as possible. South Africa have jumped the gun on us in this space and they won the World Cup with a unified squad selected from all around the world.”
    Jets likes this.