• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
My belief is you go out and resign the absolute stars like your Kerevis or amcDermotts

For the rest of the squad. unless there is a glaring weakness at a certain position of depth then you allow the playing group battle it out in NRC a and see which current players excel over their club counterparts or you sign the club counterpart who’s stepping up and putting his hand up for a gig at next level.

NRC is too late. You will miss the better talent.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Didn’t you hear, Cordingley’s reducing the squad. We’ve got a run on team with 15 contracted players. Throw Rodda into flyhalf, Speight into Hooker and JP into the centres. That’s called saving money. Thorn and McKay on the bench for injuries.

To be fair, I wouldn't mind seeing Thornie on the bench. He looks like he could still cut it.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Yeah mate thinking the same thing. That mental toughness in his games and how to push beyond all to get that win is something the players could learn a lot from.

B

Bobby Sands

Reds should look into Jamayne Isaako. Current Broncos winger about to lose his spot to a couple of generational talents. Was rookie winger of the year, prefers fullback, kicks goals and grew up playing union in Christchurch.

Mr Tank

Herbert Moran (7)
Reds should look into Jamayne Isaako. Current Broncos winger about to lose his spot to a couple of generational talents. Was rookie winger of the year, prefers fullback, kicks goals and grew up playing union in Christchurch.

I agree with the above, but if Isaako is likely to lose his spot what does that mean for Izaia Perese?

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Don't rate Isaako enough to chase him hard. To be honest I think we sometimes mythologise a bit about the average standard of play and athlete in the NRL. Now don't get me wrong, the top games and players are absolutely extraordinary, a real cut above all but the world's best in Rugby Union but the average (e.g starters/bench players in mid-table teams, 9th vs 12th in round 18) is not a higher standard that the average Super Rugby standard.

If Isaako is about to lose his NRL spot to an 18 year old (though I'll grant that Coates is likely to be a real freak) then I think serious pause should be given before assuming he'd be a success in Super Rugby. This is the type of thinking that caused the Reds to crow about what a coup it was to sign fucking Lachlan Maranta for two years (on absolute peanuts because he was unwanted by the Broncos) and Jayden Ngmanu (a young league player from Perth) and miss out on signing Banks (the outstanding player in QPR and NRC for the previous two years).

And yes I'm still bitter about it.

Basically unless it's pretty obvious that a league signing is going to be almost nailed on to start in their first game, I'd prefer we look locally (or try repatriate somebody) first

B

Bobby Sands

Don't rate Isaako enough to chase him hard. To be honest I think we sometimes mythologise a bit about the average standard of play and athlete in the NRL. Now don't get me wrong, the top games and players are absolutely extraordinary, a real cut above all but the world's best in Rugby Union but the average (e.g starters/bench players in mid-table teams, 9th vs 12th in round 18) is not a higher standard that the average Super Rugby standard.

If Isaako is about to lose his NRL spot to an 18 year old (though I'll grant that Coates is likely to be a real freak) then I think serious pause should be given before assuming he'd be a success in Super Rugby. This is the type of thinking that caused the Reds to crow about what a coup it was to sign fucking Lachlan Maranta for two years (on absolute peanuts because he was unwanted by the Broncos) and Jayden Ngmanu (a young league player from Perth) and miss out on signing Banks (the outstanding player in QPR and NRC for the previous two years).

And yes I'm still bitter about it.

Basically unless it's pretty obvious that a league signing is going to be almost nailed on to start in their first game, I'd prefer we look locally (or try repatriate somebody) first

No-one raved about Maranta. Ever.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
There must be some real finessing on JOCs contract happening. I imagine Cheika wants it sorted quickly.

Won’t be a great marriage if forced/either party unhappy with their deal

dru

Tim Horan (67)
There must be some real finessing on JOCs contract happening. I imagine Cheika wants it sorted quickly.

Won’t be a great marriage if forced/either party unhappy with their deal

I’d imagine once he was invited to RSA the lawyers were told have it ready for signing when returns. Patience.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Does he not have to be signed to a Super franchise before pulling on a Wobs Jersey? - come to think of it, I don't think Nic White has announced a team either has he?
So am i correct that he has signed with ARU but not QRU?

It isn't impatience but intrigue as to the apparent (or lack of) logical sequence in signing from overseas to be Wallaby eligible.

Could he return from RSA and think fuck it - i'm not signing with the Reds and their onerous non-pelican clauses.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
There does appear to be inconsistency around the JOC (James O'Connor) and Nic White situations. By all appearances, it would seem that Nic is available to play for the Wallabies without having signed for a Super club, but JOC (James O'Connor) must sign before playing. It might just be that Nic will be signing a standard contract while JOC (James O'Connor)'s will have those extra commitments that require the formality of his signature before he gets on the field.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
So it is possible, whilst unlikely - we could have a wallaby playing club rugby to earn their super spot.

Says it all - regardless of which way you look at it.