• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I'd be getting Ben Mowen in for the lineout as a whole as well. He's in Brisbane and signed on as the Junior Wallabies forwards coach and is an excellent lineout operator. He was apparently running the lineout (and the training around it) at Pau for his last 3-4 years there.
Posted this in the 2020 thread, but thinking about it Mowen might be an excellent option to come in next year in a coaching role around the lineout. It'd have to be worked out with his u20s coaching commitments, but I think it's pretty unlikely the u20s competition will be back to normal next year, so it may make sense from an RA perspective to have him utilised in dual roles, at least at a coaching level.

Aside from his ability at the lineout I think he'd be a great experienced head to have around the younger guys and depending on what the competition looks like he may even be a playing option. Not sure where he's at at the moment but, I wouldn't be surprised if he was still a handy bench 4/5/6/8 option, at least in an Australian domestic competition.

The Phoenix

Sydney Middleton (9)
I posted this in the Waratahs 2020 thread so apologies if I am breaking rules, but is this the answer to our flyhalf issues?

NEW South Wales Waratah great, Mack Mason will be swapping his sky blue jersey for a Roma Echidnas jersey as the joins the local boys in the fight against the Toowoomba Bears tomorrow, Saturday, August 14.
Downs Rugby League manager Matt Hammond said the signing of Mason will be a phenomenal boost to the team, and the ticket to victory – easing the Echidnas current losing streak as they’ve been defeated at every match this year.
“This is fantastic for the Roma Echidnas, they’ve been struggling with the spine of the backline – number nine, the scrum half and number 10, and the fly half positions,” Mr Hammond said.
“Both of these positions were lost to players who signed in Brisbane.
“As the team cohesion with Mack Mason in the side over the coming weeks, it will bring a much-welcomed boost and exciting time for Downs Rugby League and for the Roma community.”
Mason spent his early years growing up in Mitchell and it was thought this season was his chance to make the Waratah’s number 10 jersey his own, after he debuted with the club in 2017.
However, due to current biosecurity protocols, players outside of New South Wales are not eligible to return to the NSW Waratahs.
Mason is still contracted with the team until November but was granted permission by the club to explore employment opportunities on the farm in Queensland while continuing strength and conditioning programs from afar.

B

Bobby Sands

I love that Mack is doing this, he just needs to find the love of the sport again.

He’s a good player, very organised - but he was treated poorly and it affected his development.

Plenty more football in him if he wants to play on.

The Phoenix

Sydney Middleton (9)
I love that Mack is doing this, he just needs to find the love of the sport again.

He’s a good player, very organised - but he was treated poorly and it effected his development.

Plenty more football in him if he wants to play on.

Works two ways - great for rugby on the Downs as well.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
No, local Risdon Cup rugby. Story has it wrong. It's definitely rugby.

Correct, Roma Echidnas are definitely rugby union, likewise the Toowoomba Bears, I've played against both teams over the years. Roma Echidnas were always a difficult road trip.

As I understand the Risdon Cup is facing real hard times this year, with traditional heavyweights like Goodiwindi Emus pulling out of the 2020 season entirely, and a number of other teams opted not to submit teams in the A-Grade tournament as well.

The Phoenix

Sydney Middleton (9)
Correct, Roma Echidnas are definitely rugby union, likewise the Toowoomba Bears, I've played against both teams over the years. Roma Echidnas were always a difficult road trip.

As I understand the Risdon Cup is facing real hard times this year, with traditional heavyweights like Goodiwindi Emus pulling out of the 2020 season entirely, and a number of other teams opted not to submit teams in the A-Grade tournament as well.

I believe Goondi and Dalby pulled out only because of Covid restrictons which meant they couldn't operate their bars. All other teams except for UQ Gatton are playing. UQ Gatton may be because their student numbers are down because of Covid. The local league competition is not being played at all.
'

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Maybe we might see Mack Mason join the Reds in 2021. We need a flyhalf now that Gordon’s gone. When JOC (James O'Connor) went of the field injured in the last 10 mins last night it was a obvious reshuffle.