• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Knowing a bit about Mac, he won’t hang around for any bullshit. The last thing the Reds need is another mass departure of quality players because of poor player management.
You claimed on the QPR thread that he didn’t have a Reds contract , or did I misunderstand your post ?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Knowing a bit about Mac, he won’t hang around for any bullshit. The last thing the Reds need is another mass departure of quality players because of poor player management.
Are you suggesting that a kid 2 years out of school would/should walk if he isn’t promoted into the starting squad next year? I like confidence/hunger but that seems extraordinarily precious/arrogant to me if that is what you are suggesting he would do.

B

Bobby Sands

He'll be plenty good if he can displace Jock. I thought Ken Oates stood out just as much though, what is his story?

Another good Toowoomba lad.

Best position 12 I think

B

Bobby Sands

Are you suggesting that a kid 2 years out of school would/should walk if he isn’t promoted into the starting squad next year? I like confidence/hunger but that seems extraordinarily precious/arrogant to me if that is what you are suggesting he would do.

I think he’s suggesting he will be good enough next year, and he will be looking for a birth somewhere.

I’d be surprised if he doesn’t get a taste this year, in fact, I am certain he will.

Good trick that, give them a taste before pre-season to make them know the level.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think there's a real issue with Australian Rugby fans and placing too much expectation on the 'next big thing', Jordan Petaia is the exception and not the norm and even his development hasn't been without hiccups.

I urge restraint in anointing him the Reds starting 15 for 2021 and instead using him off the bench, and all of a sudden there's a retort that that we're going to lose him to another club as part of poor roster management. Shit man, they gave caps and contracts to Hockings/Lucas... but that didn't stop them going did it..

B

Bobby Sands

Before the "making them earn their keep" chatter starts, the good players are ready far earlier these days and they know their worth.

Jock is a damn good footballer, and it will be a tough ask for Mac to get his spot.

But he should be given every opportunity to get it if hes good enough.

Losing Gordon is a big blow in my opinion, so was losing Reesjan, I would be beside myself if we lose Mac.

But hes a true blue QLDer and I reckon he will want to stay around. All he can ask is that he is given a chance to impress, and I am pretty sure he will.

Apparently he has been skinning all comers at Reds training.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Jock is growing into a pretty good fullback IMO, what he lacks in the speed or size he makes up for with smart play and good field positioning. I'm not real keen to see him tossed aside for a greenhorn just yet, he has improved every season.

2021 will be an interesting backline with Vunivalu still planning on heading to Ballymore.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Before the "making them earn their keep" chatter starts, the good players are ready far earlier these days and they know their worth.

Jock is a damn good footballer, and it will be a tough ask for Mac to get his spot.

But he should be given every opportunity to get it if hes good enough.

Losing Gordon is a big blow in my opinion, so was losing Reesjan, I would be beside myself if we lose Mac.

But hes a true blue QLDer and I reckon he will want to stay around. All he can ask is that he is given a chance to impress, and I am pretty sure he will.

Apparently he has been skinning all comers at Reds training.
Do you know who he is managed by?

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I think there's a real issue with Australian Rugby fans and placing too much expectation on the 'next big thing', Jordan Petaia is the exception and not the norm and even his development hasn't been without hiccups.

I urge restraint in anointing him the Reds starting 15 for 2021 and instead using him off the bench, and all of a sudden there's a retort that that we're going to lose him to another club as part of poor roster management. Shit man, they gave caps and contracts to Hockings/Lucas. but that didn't stop them going did it..
You have nailed it. There will always be exceptions to the milestones set out in the Reds coaching manual. No every player can be developed the same and not all development coaching across our states are the same. I have seen a lot of players come through the Australian system and I know when we have one is ready before others. Mac is one of those players who you can’t hold back. There has already been interest from league clubs in Sydney and no doubt there will be other states who will see him in Prems and reach out. There’s a fine line between holding a player back and playing a player too early. Knowing this makes great coaching.
All I’m saying is, Mac is one of those talents we need to do everything to get it right.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Jock is growing into a pretty good fullback IMO, what he lacks in the speed or size he makes up for with smart play and good field positioning. I'm not real keen to see him tossed aside for a greenhorn just yet, he has improved every season.

2021 will be an interesting backline with Vunivalu still planning on heading to Ballymore.
Why settle for mediocre is there’s a talent like Mac who has it all. Just saying.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Calling Campbell mediocre is a bit rough. He’s been excellent at fullback - although not so great on the wing. He was good enough to be included in the PONI squad.

Grealy may well prove to be better but if we’re talking good squad management we shouldn’t be rushing to cast aside a bloke who is already performing at Super Rugby level and catching the eyes of the national selectors.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I’d be surprised if he doesn’t get a taste this year, in fact, I am certain he will.

Good trick that, give them a taste before pre-season to make them know the level.

I know he was added to the wider squad at the start of super rugby AU, but if he's playing club atm I don't think there's much capacity to play him at this stage. As I understand it he'd have to go into 2 week lock down before he'd be ready to start training with the side again. I guess if Paisami and CFS are out for the rest of the season it might make sense to bring him in, but otherwise he'd probably be better off staying in club rugby and getting as much game time as possible.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I know he was added to the wider squad at the start of super rugby AU, but if he's playing club atm I don't think there's much capacity to play him at this stage. As I understand it he'd have to go into 2 week lock down before he'd be ready to start training with the side again. I guess if Paisami and CFS are out for the rest of the season it might make sense to bring him in, but otherwise he'd probably be better off staying in club rugby and getting as much game time as possible.

I don't know if that lockdown rule is actually still a thing? I'm fairly sure Felemi played for GPS one weekend and then came off the bench for the Reds last weekend.

I know when the competition was announced as resuming, they said they'd only be selecting players in the 'bubble' but it seems to have loosened a bit, at least in QLD.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I don't know if that lockdown rule is actually still a thing? I'm fairly sure Felemi played for GPS one weekend and then came off the bench for the Reds last weekend.

I know when the competition was announced as resuming, they said they'd only be selecting players in the 'bubble' but it seems to have loosened a bit, at least in QLD.

If that's the case then it's probably between him and Hardy to sit on the bench this week, maybe both if O'Connor takes a week off with a bruised sternum. Not sure there are any other backs left in the squad.

B

Bobby Sands

While we are talking about Mac.

Dion Samuela was selected ahead of him for Oz Schools last year (rightfully or wrongfully) and was circled hard by league, but chose to stay in rugby. He is in Brisbane somewhere as well, does anyone know what he's up to?