• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
When JOC (James O'Connor) returned we had no idea that he was going to slot into flyhalf because we had Lucas and Hegarty with Gordon on the horizon. I know this sounds out there but what about Tate as the back up flyhalf. We have ample emerging half backs coming though and zip flyhalfs.
I guess it’s an option, but I think I’d rather keep him at 9.

Maybe we just upskill Paisami to play 12.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Have given this some thought - this could be a really hard spot to fill.

Although I am making the assumptions that a) The Reds are happy with O’Connor at 10 and he plans to stay, or at least he hasn’t made it clear he intends to leave b) They are happy with Stewart at 12 and would prefer to keep him there

C) Not so much an assumption, but an opinion - I think Hegarty is a valuable squad member as injury cover, but ideally I don’t really think he is a starter anymore

So, the problem I have is that I want someone who is capable of playing 10 now if JOC (James O'Connor) is injured, so most/all 18-19 year olds are out.

They also need to be happy to sit behind O’Connor in the knowledge they probably won’t get a lot of time - so guys like Donaldson, Pasitoa & Kuenzle are probably all out, even if they weren’t contracted elsewhere. There are more current opportunities for guys like that at the Rebels & Force to compete for a starting spot

There is scope for a young guy to come in and maybe get some time and do well enough that it pushes O’Connor to 12 and Stewart back to the bench, but otherwise it doesn’t sound like a great option for a young guy who is looking for a starting gig to me. So we are potentially signing a player who is just a level down.

Which is fine - right up until they get 1, or even worse 2, injuries at 10 or 12, then they would seem to have a real issue.

The other thing this highlights to me is that our cover at 12 is just as poor. Unless I’m forgetting someone.

But maybe the play here is to sign the best up and coming 12 we can who can compete with Stewart for a spot. If JOC (James O'Connor) goes down, Stewart moves to 10. And go hard for the best 17-18 year old playmaker we can with no real intent on him playing next year, but bringing him through 2022-2023 & competing hard for a start in 2024.

This is all based on both O’Connor & the Reds seeing him as our 10 for at least the next 3 years. Otherwise basically disregard this post.

NB - I wonder if O’Connor at 10 has gone much better than was originally thought and, because of that, both Lucas and Gordon could saw their opportunity drying up. Could well have left them to feel they weren’t given the pathway they were ‘promised’.
‘On the grape vine’ it was said that Lucas and Gordon were both told that they were the next up and coming 10 then they got talking at golf about what was being said to each other. Allegedly, Lucas signed a shit 4 year deal and found out Gordon was on more and then COVID hit giving Lucas an out. Allegedly Gordon was offered big money ???? from the Rebels last year but wanted to stay at the Reds up until JOC (James O'Connor) told Gordon that he wanted to play flyhalf and stay at the Reds and was offered a 3 year deal.
You can’t blame Lucas or Gordon for chasing an opportunity to play. There have been a few more stories but the crux is that JOC (James O'Connor) wants to be around for another 3 years, so any player being signed as a flyhalf will expect to be a bench warmer at best unless they can play 12 or 15.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Lol - probably just keep it civil with other posters and you should be okay.

It’s a pity - I enjoyed a lot of his posts and he had some good insights. Really struggled In a disagreement with his inner Leyonjholm though.
I reckon we protest to bring him back. He’s got a good rugby head and knows his shit.

Reactions: dru

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Or bring in Isaac Henry with the added bonus that the 2 of them have played together.
Just a question here, but do we see Jock as the long term 15?
I haven’t seen Henry play, but from what I’ve read/heard he could fit the brief. Good goal kicker too, isn’t he.

I rate Jock highly at 15 and from what I hear we have signed a very promising up and comer who is still at school - so a prospect for 2023 - 2025 depending on just how good he is.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Or bring in Isaac Henry with the added bonus that the 2 of them have played together.
Just a question here, but do we see Jock as the long term 15?
I hear Issac Henry wants to come back home. He still needs more development to play in the centres. But give him 1 or 2 years. I don’t see him as a potential flyhalf. Has he ever played fullback?
If Gordon was still around you could have West’s players covering the backs. 10. Gordon 11. Filipo 12. Henry 13. Paisami 14. Petaia 21.Sorovi.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I haven’t seen Henry play, but from what I’ve read/heard he could fit the brief. Good goal kicker too, isn’t he.

I rate Jock highly at 15 and from what I hear we have signed a very promising up and comer who is still at school - so a prospect for 2023 - 2025 depending on just how good he is.
Mac Grealy is my new Carter Gordon. I’ll be raving about him now. He had another outstanding game on the weekend. A true talent. QRU better keep him or I’m becoming a Force fan.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
There’s half a dozen good up and coming backs in Queensland at the moment, I don’t see them all been retained; Samuela, JoJo Fifita, Vaihu and Grealy are all due for contracts within the next 12 months.
Glen Vaihu is with the Rebels. Are we talking his younger brother David? JoJo didn’t have a good year with injury but a great player. We still need a flyhalf.

Gervais_rugbylives

Allen Oxlade (6)
I hear Issac Henry wants to come back home. He still needs more development to play in the centres. But give him 1 or 2 years. I don’t see him as a potential flyhalf. Has he ever played fullback?
If Gordon was still around you could have West’s players covering the backs. 10. Gordon 11. Filipo 12. Henry 13. Paisami 14. Petaia 21.Sorovi.

I think he has played 15 (don't quote me), he has the boot for it. Plus I hear he is up 5 or 6 kgs from last season QPR so probably a lot stronger.
Who does Mac Grealy play for? Sorry for the ignorance :/

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I think he has played 15 (don't quote me), he has the boot for it. Plus I hear he is up 5 or 6 kgs from last season QPR so probably a lot stronger.
Who does Mac Grealy play for? Sorry for the ignorance :/
His goal kicking is top quality. I’d like to see Henry in the mix.
Grealy is 18 this year and plays 15 for UQ Prems. School was Downlands College.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I have said this before - and credit where due - QLD are probably the best rugby production line for players at the moment - and ahead of NSW imo - and given you guys only have 1 state pro side - thank goodness there are other rugby states and sides to provide pathways for all the talent you guys produce.

In short you guys can't hold onto them all but from what I see you keeping most of the really good ones coming through.

We often here of 6th side in Western Sydney but for all the talent QLD produce another pro rugby side in QLD would have to be in the mix in the medium to long term if we went it alone and did our own domestic rugby competition from a long term perspective