• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I have said this before - and credit where due - QLD are probably the best rugby production line for players at the moment - and ahead of NSW imo - and given you guys only have 1 state pro side - thank goodness there are other rugby states and sides to provide pathways for all the talent you guys produce.

In short you guys can't hold onto them all but from what I see you keeping most of the really good ones coming through.

I wonder how much of an impact the huge competition from league clubs, not only NRL, but also second tier, in and around Sydney is?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
FYI there is Rugby League in QLD too.

Nothing close to the competition in Sydney though. All the same I still see nothing to correct the appearance that the biggest issue in Sydney is the disconnect of SRU and, well everything else.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Harking back to my comments on Lawson Creighton. He played a lot of 10 at Junior levels but like JOC (James O'Connor) has played all over the backline.

Controversial opinion but I actually don't think the reds require a traditional 10 for their game plan. They have been very run and gun which is what has allowed JOC (James O'Connor) to be successful as a makeshift 10. A traditional 10 might be handy when it comes to the kicking duals which is an area where JOC (James O'Connor) struggled. Their attack is quite simple when compared to other teams. There isn't anything fancy about it but getting the ball in the hands of individuals whose own brilliance will make things happen.

This isn't a criticism but more of a kudos and observation of a team adapting to the tools they have available. It also probably would be a good environment for a young ten who doesn't have amazing game management to break in to.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Would love to see the likes of Cooper Whiteside, Isaac Henry be brought in for development down the line and Creighton as a more short term 1-2 year option

Wilson

David Codey (61)
The Australian has Thorn set to re-sign, announcement expected later this month:

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...t/news-story/89b8d1e2d59db453dddef7df0166d782

Article also mentions that St George have signed on for another 3 years, but they're moving from the front of the jersey to the sleeve. Looks like they might be focusing more of that sponsorship money to grass roots:

The bank’s sponsorship will also fund stronger grassroots initiatives with local clubs, diversity and inclusion across the code, and the Modified Rugby Program, which allows children with autism, Asperger’s and learning and perceptual difficulties to play competitive rugby.

Apparently in talks with 3 major companies about becoming the naming rights sponsor

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Interesting about St George, i think they only re-signed last year for a further 3 years, I guess there were a trigger in the contract which allowed them to renegotiate, or by mutual agreement.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Interesting about St George, i think they only re-signed last year for a further 3 years, I guess there were a trigger in the contract which allowed them to renegotiate, or by mutual agreement.

Every Reds supporter should have a St George Visa card. And should let them know at every opportunity that their sponsorship of the Reds is the reason! A few years ago we were thinking about buying an Audi. At the time they were sponsoring a league team. I sent them an email telling them that we would not buy their product because they sponsor a game that we do not like. I got several emails back from their marketing people, trying to explain, convince, apologise, etc etc

Corporations do not get much feedback about this sort of thing, they tend to take a lot of notice when they do get some. So let the buggers know!!!!

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
From a Reds fan point of view, I actually liked the fact that Tupou wasn't as dominant against the ABs as he was during the Super Rugby season. He was still very solid and did all his usual stuff, but it shows he still has a ways to go in terms of development. Assuming he keeps a good work ethic, his ceiling is very high and the Reds will be benefactors as he continues to improve as we head towards the next World Cup.

Very encouraging signs from the Reds guys who wore gold on the weekend - I think we genuinely have World XV caliber players in Daugunu, Wilson and TT.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
From a Reds fan point of view, I actually liked the fact that Tupou wasn't as dominant against the ABs as he was during the Super Rugby season. He was still very solid and did all his usual stuff, but it shows he still has a ways to go in terms of development. Assuming he keeps a good work ethic, his ceiling is very high and the Reds will be benefactors as he continues to improve as we head towards the next World Cup.

Very encouraging signs from the Reds guys who wore gold on the weekend - I think we genuinely have World XV caliber players in Daugunu, Wilson and TT.

I think you have a few more than that too in McReight and McDermott. You should be pretty excited about next year, certainly a lot more excited than us poor Waratahs supporters - our second row pairing next year looks like it is Staniforth and Sam Wykes for example and thats just the start of our problems. Credit to Thorn for nurturing the young talent - if I was Rob Penney I would be looking for out clauses on my contract right now.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)

Our 23 team is coming along nicely and will be able to stick it to the NZ Super Rugby teams in 2022. Thorn needs to find depth in our front row, locks and halves and we will be a powerhouse in the coming years. What Thorn has produced in Wilso and McReight over the last 3 years is a great indicator of where our team is going. The young development players coming through need to bide their time in the program before expecting to debut. The likes of Mac Grealy and JoJo Fifita will be a force to be reckoned with. Is it confirmed that Thorn has re-signed?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I really rate Stewart, but it’s hard to ignore the development of Paisami over the past 12 months, and the struggle is to squeeze both Hunter and Jordan into the same starting lineup.

9. McDermott
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Daugunu
12. Paisami
13. Petaia
14. Vunivalu
15. Campbell

21. Sorovi ?
22. Stewart
23. CFS(unsigned)?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
What do you do with Daugunu, Petaia, Paisami & Vunivalu? Also CFS?
I think Paisami could become a very good 12.

I think Stewart has been great there, but it won’t hurt him to have competition for his spot.

CFS has got better and better with age, but I still think he’ll most likely be bench cover.

You also have Josh Flook.