• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Only saw the one game (so a bit harsh) but he didn't even look SS level in the final.

The team played 100 tough minutes the week before, some of them were a bit under par, for sure. No team would make the final with a 10 who was not good enough for the comp.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If he’s so good why are you trying to persistently offload him. Mediocre (but inconsistent) at best. Give us Harrison or Donaldson.

I'm not trying to offload him at all.

I'm just challenging the opinion that he isn't very good.

I do think he's probably more suited to 12 though in the long run (and I see Harrison as the Tahs long term 10).

I also think Donaldson is really good. He's probably a better 10 than Edmed currently but I'm not sure he's a better overall rugby player.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I don't think there should be a massive focus on signing kids straight out of school. There are plenty of young 20ish year olds who have played in QPR or in other comps against men and I think that should be the focus. I am not surprised that the reds have not signed a bunch of teens. On top of that, money doesn't grow on trees and they forked out some cash for our new super winger, so I doubt they want to be splashing on unproven kids. A smart move is to keep an eye on the development of players at other franchises and sign them once they have proven themselves. The rebels have a pretty smart system ;P
If we don’t secure the young school talent in rugby then other codes will. There is always the risk (financial investment) component when scouting around young school talent, with better outcomes signing locks and backs. You’ve either got height, speed and playmaking abilities or you don’t. It’s rare to sign a 17 yo front row due the the unknown physical development, which is why you will see these guys being signed around their 20’s. Different stages for different positions.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
OK let's dance - we'll give you Harrison if you give us back LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto).

You have one hour before the offer expires.
Honestly - I’d be tempted but LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is just too good to let go.

What if we let Rodda & Hockings go so you can pick them up? Rodda’s a NSW boy anyway isn’t he? QRU can give you a warm handover to their manager.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Assuming we can’t get Pasitoa, that seems the best play IMO.

Although isn’t he already signed for 2021 with the Tahs.
That would be the ultimate but I think that ship has sailed. I think Pasitoa will find his way to inside centre this year and back up flyhalf. If the Reds haven’t picked up the phone since the knowledge of Gordon leaving then that would be outright stupidity. Is Picone still his manager?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
If we don’t secure the young school talent in rugby then other codes will. There is always the risk (financial investment) component when scouting around young school talent, with better outcomes signing locks and backs. You’ve either got height, speed and playmaking abilities or you don’t. It’s rare to sign a 17 yo front row due the the unknown physical development, which is why you will see these guys being signed around their 20’s. Different stages for different positions.

I don't have an issue with guys taking up league contracts straight out of school. They do a much better job with them physically as they don't seem to suffer the same injuries. That said, if you have Jordan Petaia, or someone of his ilk, you sign him up.