• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

Gervais_rugbylives

Allen Oxlade (6)
If you have Hunter at 12, you need a genuine play maker somewhere else, so maybe at 15 as Roberts Rugby suggests. At this stage in his career, I think JOC (James O'Connor) would be a great 12, but you would struggle to find another 10 to start from game 1. When I watch JOC (James O'Connor), I wonder if he would play his best rugby at 12, but none of us are selectors, that is kind of the point of a forum, to discuss our opinions with no actual connection to the coaching staff haha.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
If you have Hunter at 12, you need a genuine play maker somewhere else, so maybe at 15 as Roberts Rugby suggests. At this stage in his career, I think JOC (James O'Connor) would be a great 12, but you would struggle to find another 10 to start from game 1. When I watch JOC (James O'Connor), I wonder if he would play his best rugby at 12, but none of us are selectors, that is kind of the point of a forum, to discuss our opinions with no actual connection to the coaching staff haha.
An article in rugby.com.au states Tim Horan believes the partnership of Paisami and Petaia in the centres in a good one, and bringing Petaia into the play at 12. I would have to agree. Paisami’s passing game this year has gone from strength to strength. He’s defensive play and line penetration is better than Kerevi’s. A couple of missed tackles to be worked on, but overall a bloody solid performance.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Last night my wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas whilst I was looking at this Red’s team list for 2021, and without any thought I said “I want Slipper, Rodda, Hockings and Gordon back at the Reds”. I didn’t get the response I wanted. But I don’t think that’s too much to ask for. We would be unbeatable in 2021.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Last night my wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas whilst I was looking at this Red’s team list for 2021, and without any thought I said “I want Slipper, Rodda, Hockings and Gordon back at the Reds”. I didn’t get the response I wanted. But I don’t think that’s too much to ask for. We would be unbeatable in 2021.

Yes, except we don’t need Gordon. I suspect, subject to squad depth, we should be pretty competitive with what we’ve got.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I'd sooner have JP (or both) the Smith Boyz then Slipper, Slipper is the better player, but JP would be a better fit given his scrumaging.

And I'd only have wanted Rodda to be retained of the others in that list. But he made his choices.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Still think Lock is an area of concern (as for every team...) we are sticking with locals but not convinced Tualima nd Smith are Pro rugby standard. Being the better of the Brisbane Prem grade does not = professional rugby player on an international stage. BUT they are all we have so all I can say is I think we are lucky we are doing mainly domestic comps again...

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
I think a lot can be said about spending time in the system in order to develop. In reality Tualima has spent about 2 years being a professional after being a highly touted junior. Time to learn his craft, grow his body and be competitive will only further his development. Smith has spent a year in the system.

In todays player market, ready made locks are expensive and in short supply

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Spot on. Every club says “we need more locks”

You can’t teach height (something commonly seen on nba scouting reports)

Also I bet you if you did a player movement analysis of the last 10 years. You’d find that people over a certain height seem to land deals elsewhere.... who is the last lock to play 100 games of QPR? i just can’t recall a stalwart like that. Who performs in QPR and remains firmly off greener grass competition radars.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think the lock situation isn’t too bad.
Ryan Smith will be a handy replacement and see him as a Blake Enever type player, someone who toiled away at QPR before earning his Super Rugby stripes. Wilson Blythe is a solid development player as well, depends how he fills out over the next 12 months or so. Seru Uru is another who could backfill at lock as well, he has the height and physique to do it, not sure if he has the technical understanding though.

Across Uru, Blythe x 2, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Tualima and Smith, there’s some decent size and height in the squad

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Yeah I REALLY rate Uru physically. Physically he's so impressive, big enough to bed a dedicated ball runner, but still able to jump at the lineout. Hasn't quite taken his few chances, but dripping with potential, if he can figure it out.

Also don't forget ASY (Angus Scott-Young) can probably play at lock if needed and is a really good quality bench player for Super Rugby.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Talking of tall timber. Wilson Blyth was signed as a developmental player last year during year 12 through to 2022. How'd he go at QPR this year and is as tall as his brother?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Talking of tall timber. Wilson Blyth was signed as a developmental player last year during year 12 through to 2022. How'd he go at QPR this year and is as tall as his brother?

Played mostly colts this year, with a handful of games in the QPR towards the finals, didn’t look out of place, similar frame to his brother, maybe slightly bigger then him at the same age

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Only saw him play against Jeeps when he got to start alongside his brother for the first time ever . He didn’t look out of place , but could tell he needed to add a fair bit of core strength to his young frame to compete against men , not unlike his brother really.

As already mentioned , spent most of the season in Colts and wouldn’t say he was dominant. He has the attributes ( mainly height ) to play at a higher level , but definitely a work in progress and needs a least a couple of seasons of QPR.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Yeah, losing the NRC is probably the the worst thing to happen to Aussie Rugby in a long time.

I often wondered if the name confused people.

If all Super teams had two NRC teams that they owned and used as feeder clubs to Super Rugby and promoted as such, then I think it would be successful.

As a Super Rugby and Wallabies fan I am more likely to have an interest in a competitions that is designed to feature future Reds players (Reds member!) looking for a contract who eventually may become a Wallaby over a glorified best of club rugby competition.

I realise that it is not designed to be a best of club rugby competition but it can easily be seen as being this.

I don't follow club rugby, I grew up in country NSW and moved to Brisbane and hold no loyalty to any club, I enjoy watching club rugby but am really more concerned about the Reds.

I think the NRC is vital to increasing viewer to Rugby if it is done properly. The marketing needs to be done right and highlight the potential head to head line ups and what it could mean to the game in Australia.