• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Brumbies - Super Rugby Round 7 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
AND REMEMBER IF YOU GET BOOZED, DONT DRIVE THE NEXT MORNING... BECAUSE THERE OUT EARLY THIS YEAR..

Or you could not drink and drive because it's highly dangerous and people's lives are at stake.

In fact the majority of people who die from drink driving accidents aren't actually the driver, who tries to avoid danger. It's going to be the person in your passenger seat. Don't drink & drive just because they're are police out

N

Newter

I really like the look of Lane, has that composed tough as nails look Lucas had about him when he was 20. Is Lucas back for the stormers?

Agree. Very nervous kid, though. So overwhelmed his brain was starting to fail him and he kept trying to take his mouthguard out of his sock fold on the run.

N

Newter

Reds have picked up their game this week. And a bit of luck to go with it.

View attachment 2181

Fascinating stats. Only 4 errors all game, that's a big improvement. I also noticed James Horwill starting to dent the line for the first time this year. What causes such a turnaround?

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
My thoughts on the Reds last night
  • Front Rowers: Daley was suprisingly good last night, given his recent run of poor form, even his scrummaging was solid against a renowned front row bully in Palmer. Slipper was a bit quiet but still decent, Alexander started to get over him at the scrums later in the match. Chibba Hanson was brilliant I thought, he is really playing well this season, and should start when Saia is fit. Greg Holmes still should be starting.
  • Locks:Horwill and Simmons were quiet but I think it was because they had their heads in the every second ruck. Simmons best game of the season, although I still think he isn't up to it and should be replaced by Wallace-Harrison when he returns. Humphries was solid when he came on.
  • Backrow: Gill and Higginbotham outstanding. Gill's game was marred by that sin-binning, but apart from that he was a machine at the breakdown and made a few big hits. Higgers, I don't need to say anything, the bloke is playing his best rugby. Robinson was good also but I still think he's fallen behind this year, and that I think he'll find himself on the bench when Shatz is fit. Quirky was decent but nothing noticeable when he came on, but seems he might have overtaken Samo in the pecking order, given that Radike only got 10minutes when Higgers was in the blood-bin.
  • Genia, another shit game from him. Looks completely lost without Cooper. His kicking game has been terrible this season. And yet he still thinks he has the right to tear shreds off other players when they make mistakes. I want to see more of Frisby at scrum-half then on the wing.
  • Sam Lane, visibly nervous as shit, but I thought he looked pretty good given he was thrown in. Showed a shitload more promise then Murphy did. I can see him getting Dallan's EPS spot next season.
  • Wingers: Davies did some good things, then some average things, he needs to just back himself, because his speed is all he has at the moment. Shipperely was quiet but still solid, I want to see him in space, everytime he gets the ball he has 3 players on him straight away.
  • Centers: Tapuai was our best player, great in contact and in defence. But really needs to pass a bit more, few times he had Toua and Morahan in space outside and dummied himself. Toua was good defensively but really didn't get much chance to do anything in attack. Fingers crossed he was taken off just a precaution.
  • Morahan had his best game of the season, very strong in attack and his kicking game has improved massively.
  • Still alot of improvement for Queensland to make, but this is a step forward. Harris and Lucas are expected to play next week which will be a massive boost for the backline. Wallace Harrison is also expected to be back within the next two weeks. It's hard to say where we are at now but atleast we have a win under our belt. I think the Kicking game is something that needs to be worked on.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I won't go thru all the Brumbies players but Kimlin was my most frustrating player to watch last night. He made some beautiful runs only to destroy them with a drop ball or forward pass at the end. I actually think Kimlin is a really good player but last night I was pulling my hair out watching him.

Not having Hooper out there to begin with plus the reluctance to spin the ball wide after a number of good phases also has me slightly leaning more toward being bald this morning.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Genia, for my mind, is doing a pretty good job having to put up with the crap that has happened this season so far. How many 10's has he had to try and play along under immense pressure.
* He and Quade have played along side one another for a few years and have developed one of the best partnerships in super Rugby.
* He has had to partner Harris, Lucas, Murphy and Lane in how many weeks.
* He plays the full 80. Big season last year, then RWC and then back into it after a fairly short break.
To my mind he is doing a bloody good job.
I wouldn't think there are too many out there that would have his year and be doing better.
I liked the add at the game - the hunters have become the hunted. Every game for the Reds is BIG as everyone is out to knock of the Premiership winners, thats just sport and life. One of the most watched players is Willy G so room for him to play will be tough to come by.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Fascinating stats. Only 4 errors all game, that's a big improvement. I also noticed James Horwill starting to dent the line for the first time this year. What causes such a turnaround?
Sorry Newter, those were half time stats (be nice to have the full time stats too). But I agree on the improvement for the Reds.

I think they've had a bit of respect forced into them after three hidings in a row brought out some home truths. For one thing, their ball security has been poor and they haven't been respecting possession. Perth was particularly humbling for the Reds. Seemed like they just expected to turn up and go through the motions.

The Reds held the ball a bit better last night. Their kicking game was still pretty average.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Brumbies were just too impatient and too many handling errors...

Also, it didn't help that Walsh was just atrocious....

Allowed the crowd to sway him to award 2 non forward passes and completely ignore the laws of the breakdown for most of the first hour...

Anyways, kudos Reds...

Made up for the 4 that he didn't award.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I just can't add much to tl12's excellent list above (though do disagree re Morahan), and Sully's good game summary on the blog.

- outstanding to have a 31,000 crowd during Easter when a lot of Brisbaneites go coastal and with school holidays on top. And I thought we might see a few win-junkies fall away post the SA/WA debacles. Good signs here for solidity of this 'core support'. Great to see so many under 30s and teens at the game, really enjoying it. Going to the Reds @ Suncorp is becoming a social 'event'.

- Lane looks a keeper; I'd say he was more accomplished overall than QC (Quade Cooper) in his first Reds games. Be surprised if other unnamed franchises weren't calling him this week 'for a chat'. (Vs Blues, I'd actually like to run Lane again, and Harris at FB.)

- just maybe, the rusted-on Higgers doubters and the old school '6's must only do what they always did' will finally agree to this bloke's qualities. He's just a faster, better, more agile athlete than the 'traditional' 6 and Link has always consciously placed him in wider deployment to use these obvious qualities as a kind of hybrid 6/13. The 'flankacentre'.

- Genia's ego and performance are now clearly operating in inverse proportions. If he and Link persist with the idea that Genia is to kick at all sorts of reckless moments ('the gift that keeps on giving'), then ffs send him off to an AFL kicking coach to skill him in accurate field kicks under pressure where target placements are better identified and achieved.

- Shipps' qualities and all-of-80 guts becoming more obvious each match. Toua: shows how the youthful showreels are not entirely reliable predictors of what the pressure's like in S15 ;-). Let's see, the next time.

- The Stormers on April 20 will be a very different kettle-of-fish. To borrow from Robbie a bit, the Reds' deposits in belief last night were hardly gold bars. The Brumbies were beneath their recent best and looked as though a less than perfect game plan had been devised by Jake. The SA formula has its limits? (Jake may have still been haunted by that Suncorp night, what, 5 years ago when the Boks scored zero points?)

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
Not sure anyone mentioned how good McCabe looks outside of the wallabies playbook. He looked dangerous, and even (the bit that surprised me) elusive.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Genia, for my mind, is doing a pretty good job having to put up with the crap that has happened this season so far. How many 10's has he had to try and play along under immense pressure.
* He and Quade have played along side one another for a few years and have developed one of the best partnerships in super Rugby.
* He has had to partner Harris, Lucas, Murphy and Lane in how many weeks.
* He plays the full 80. Big season last year, then RWC and then back into it after a fairly short break.
To my mind he is doing a bloody good job.
I wouldn't think there are too many out there that would have his year and be doing better.
I liked the add at the game - the hunters have become the hunted. Every game for the Reds is BIG as everyone is out to knock of the Premiership winners, thats just sport and life. One of the most watched players is Willy G so room for him to play will be tough to come by.

27, I didn't realise you were WG, but why the nomme de plume '27'.
Oh, & Sanchez, less aimless kicking in future please.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
Don't know how anyone can be "definite" about that try - if it was definite we'd all agree and the TMO would have said no try. It's possible to have a strong opinion, but I doubt that even if they were high speed cameras fed into a digital 3d imaging program to rotate the view you'd get to definite. A lot happened pretty much simultaneously.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Oh, by the way, what's the name of the brumbie that was slotting the ball over from halfway during warm up? I don't think he was the guy that was kicking during the game but I could be wrong...

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Oh, by the way, what's the name of the brumbie that was slotting the ball over from halfway during warm up? I don't think he was the guy that was kicking during the game but I could be wrong...
Would of been Nic White, got a big boot on him.

Reactions: gel

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Not sure anyone mentioned how good McCabe looks outside of the wallabies playbook. He looked dangerous, and even (the bit that surprised me) elusive.

McCabe was a very adventurous runner in Sydney club rugby, played at full-back and did a lot of incisive broken field running. He seemed to have left that behind, before he was even selected for the Wobblies, so I don't think we can blame Deans. Let's hope he can get it back. After all, a player who can crash it up when required, or make a side-stepping run when the opportunity arises, would be a huge acquisition at any level. Why would't Deans want both attributes?

Status
Not open for further replies.