• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Brumbies - Super Rugby Round 7 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
Was nice to see the crowd get wound up again.

That annoying announcer actually provides some value!

You could see the circle go: good play, crowd gets vocal, reds play better, crowd gets louder.

The street kid chants are a bit off-putting though, I think that's what's been freaking people out.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
27, I didn't realise you were WG, but why the nomme de plume '27'.
Oh, & Sanchez, less aimless kicking in future please.
Ta. 27 is a bit like an emus arse!!!!!!
Come to think of it.
2 +7 = 9
Or 27 divided by 3 = 9

Who wears 9..............

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not sure anyone mentioned how good McCabe looks outside of the wallabies playbook. He looked dangerous, and even (the bit that surprised me) elusive.

It should be noted that this year he has been disproving the "never passes" myth by shovelling the ball out to his outside backs whenever the opportunity rises.

Lilo/McCabe could make for a potential excellent centre partnership...

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
OK. Have watched the replay now. What a great grinding win by the boys. Hopefully this will give the Reds some confidence for the rest of the season.

My thoughts (some maybe repeated from the previous posters but I will try not to).

Reds:
- Lane looks good. Cramping towards the end of the game and sucking in the big ones at times. Hopefully fitness will improve. Has done a lot for his stock value in that one game. Settled in well after the nerves wore off.
- Toua did well in defence. Was limping at the end of the game so I hope to god that it was just some cramp rather then another injury.
- Taps is going to have to be careful with his tackles. He has been lifting a few times this season and it will only be a matter of time before something goes wrong, or a JO takes exception. But wow - Those quads!!!! That is where the power is.
- Genia gets frustrated when crowded. I think that the Irish showed how to play him and teams have picked up on it.
- Hanson has made a claim for the #1 hooker spot.
- Slipper was absolutely empty by the end of the game.
- Higgers has been by far and away the best Reds player this year. Long may it continue. Loved the Robbo, Gill & Higgers backrow. They seemed to complement each other well.
- Shipperly has cemented his spot on the wing. Can even pack into a scrum at flanker if necessary. :)
- Horwill's nose wasn't bleeding at the end of the game. :eek:
- Chase the f*^&%$g kicks would you!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Higgers try #2 - I HATE THE CHIP KICK! Even when it is successful I still hate it. (I am starting to sound like Kernsy, but he is right it rarely comes off.) Well done Davies for the pass though.
- Reds tackling degraded in the second half.

Brums:
- Mogg has found his razor. Yay!!!!! Shows a wonderful turn of speed. He is going to be scary good at 15. His kicking is coming along nicely.... very Berniesque.
- White had a good game.
- Hooper and Gill played well. They both had brain farts as you can expect from young players. Gill just got a 12 min rest for his.

Ref:
- I was giving Walshy dig rap before the game to the blokes I was there with. Well, live it didn't look that good, but from the replay maybe he can be forgiven. Although it wasn't his best, it was not the worse ref preformance from the weekend. His handling of the breakdown wasn't good, but it was consistant so you can't complain. Called one forward that wasn't but missed one that wasn't so that evened out.
- Higgers try #1 - Live I initally thought yes. On replays I thought maybe not. I think the call could have gone either way. Instantenious. (I know it is not spelt right but I am to lazy to look it up OK.) Though call for the TMO. Robbo, Davies, Taps and Higgers all need raps for the try though.
- Palmer and Daley lucky not to be dealing with a White card. Well handled by Walsh. Handbags at 40 paces.
- Is it a ruck if there is no oposition pushing against you? I thought not. How then should this be handled in the laws? Not bitching, just asking.

Quote of the game:
Marto - "It's like a game of speed dating. Every week he [Will] has a different 5/8."

humanbeast

Ted Fahey (11)
Happy the reds won, at the same time disappointed for the brumbies. Not the best game skills wise but enjoyed watching it. Gill and Robinson looked like they had a field day, the brumbies battled without hooper. I think Lane is a much better prospect that the muppet(murphy). Glad to see Toua get a run and Mogg is coming along nicely.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Brumbies and Reds Props Dan Palmer and Ben Daley have both been issued with off field yellow cards for their punch up in the Reds vs Brumbies clash in Brisbane.

Both players were issued with an off-field yellow card for contravening Law 10.4 (a) Punching or Striking an Opponent

An Off-Field Yellow Card may be issued by the SANZAR Citing Commissioner for foul play incidents that are very close to, but in his opinion do not meet the Red Card threshold for Citings.
http://www.superxv.com/news/super15_rugby_news.asp?id=34645
link

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Brumbies and Reds Props Dan Palmer and Ben Daley have both been issued with off field yellow cards for their punch up in the Reds vs Brumbies clash in Brisbane.

Both players were issued with an off-field yellow card for contravening Law 10.4 (a) Punching or Striking an Opponent

What the hell is that meant to mean? Do they miss the first 10 minutes of the next game they play?

The citing commissioner would have been better off sending both Palmer and Daley to bed without their desert instead of coming out with an "off-field" yellow card.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
E

An Off-Field Yellow Card may be issued by the SANZAR Citing Commissioner for foul play incidents that are very close to, but in his opinion do not meet the Red Card threshold for Citings.

link

Excellent, that will surely teach them a lesson.

Reactions: BPC

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
What the hell is that meant to mean? Do they miss the first 10 minutes of the next game they play?

The citing commissioner would have been better off sending both Palmer and Daley to bed without their desert instead of coming out with an "off-field" yellow card.

Means it will count against them next time they are cited. But yes, without pudding might have been more effective. Or perhaps taking their easter eggs off them...

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Is there a rule regarding accumulated yellow cards? Do they get an auto-ban if they get more than 2 or somesuch? I know they do in the RWC, not sure about SANZAR?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Is there a rule regarding accumulated yellow cards? Do they get an auto-ban if they get more than 2 or somesuch? I know they do in the RWC, not sure about SANZAR?

There definitely is, that was the purpose of getting a yellow card after a match.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Doesn't three yellow cards mean an automatic red. did any of their punches land - besides first punch thrown, the gut punch, which was a low blow!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That's it... where are my armbands?!?!
Were the Brumbies robbed on Friday?
Chris Dutton
April 8, 2012
  • Read later
LI-art-wd-try_20120407212936112906-420x0.jpg
Higginbotham's try. Photo: Fox Sport
THE ACT Brumbies can officially feel robbed after a woeful television match official blunder dashed their hopes of victory against the Queensland Reds.
The Sunday Canberra Times has obtained proof TMO George Ayoub made the wrong decision when he awarded Scott Higginbotham the opening try for the Reds in their 20-13 win on Friday night.
Higginbotham's left elbow is clearly out before he gets the ball down, but Ayoub gave referee Steve Walsh the all-clear to award the five-pointer.
Advertisement: Story continues below
Sam Lane then converted the try to give the Reds a seven-point lead in the 24th minute.
SANZAR referees boss Lyndon Bray did not return calls yesterday.
The Brumbies are privately fuming and perplexed at how Ayoub awarded the try.
The try gave the Reds momentum and had it not been given, scores would have been level at full-time.
Determined to move on, the Brumbies are refusing to get caught in a war of words and be distracted from their mission to avoid a third consecutive loss this week.
The Brumbies know their horror turnover rate was the biggest contributor to their first defeat at Suncorp Stadium in Super Rugby history. But the evidence that Ayoub got it wrong will leave a sour taste in their mouths.
Higginbotham charged to the try line in the 24th minute after Ben Tapuai had made a break down the left wing.
Brumbies scrumhalf Nic White came across in cover defence and tried to stop the Reds' No. 8 from opening the scoring.
But his effort wasn't rewarded with Ayoub bizarrely telling Walsh there was no reason he could not give the try.
Just five minutes later Higginbotham scored his second try and, despite a valiant late fightback, the Brumbies could not close the gap.
White said he and the team had accepted the decision and ''we're not going to dwell on it''.
''When I saw the replay I knew it was going to be close,'' White said.
''I tried my best to get him out … sometimes I'll tackle them out and sometimes I won't, it's just the way it goes.
''In the past five games we've had close calls go our way and against us.
''I guess [getting the ball down and going out] was simultaneous and I don't know what the ruling is there and whether it's benefit of the doubt.
''I wasn't too disappointed because I thought it was 50-50 call, the only thing I would hope is that if that happens to us the same decision is made for consistency.''
As well as his strong effort on the 110 kilogram Higginbotham, White - who weighs 84 kilograms - made two more try-saving tackles.
He kept the Brumbies in the match at half-time when he put his body on the line to help hold up Reds prop Ben Daley.
The 21-year-old was at the bottom of a pack of players ''and I definitely felt the full force of 500 kilos when it was stacks on''.
Despite outscoring the Reds 13-6 in the second half, White said the Brumbies were not satisfied with simply getting close to victory.
''We're playing hard, we're just ending up on the wrong side of the scoreboard,'' White said.
''It's something we certainly need to look at, we can't keep saying we're proud of the effort we put in when we're losing.
''We need to address it and I think we've dealt well with that, more than half of the squad will learn from that experience and I know I certainly have,'' White said.
Brumbies skipper Ben Mowen was disappointed by the performance, and said players couldn't make the same mistakes again.
''You can't have back-to-back losses, we've got to turn the corner,'' Mowen said. ''That was an inconsistent game for us … we spoke at half-time about chasing harder, working the ground better, but we were inconsistent and that's not to our standards.''

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
THE ACT Brumbies can officially feel robbed after a woeful television match official blunder dashed their hopes of victory against the Queensland Reds.
Hyper-hyperbole strikes again! Not quite officially. And I wonder that they played on once the try was awarded - their hopes being dashed! White should have pulled them off to avoid injury.​
I'm glad the Canberra Times is ringing Lyndon Bray on Easter Saturday looking for comment.​
The real question is why Ayoub kept dropping the ball for the Brumbies.​

Status
Not open for further replies.