• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds V Brumbies Trial 11-2-12 Live Twitter feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
you were wondering if it was even before the last try. I cleared it up for you. Take the chip off your shoulder.

Sent using Tapatalk on a very old phone
You should know better then to try and argue with Slim, I just look past his unreasonable bias nowdays.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Gold Jerry... Gold...

Slim mate, the Reds are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Can you just accept this universally accepted fact, so that the forum discussion can carry on in a civilised manner.

19029.jpg

Reds8a.jpg

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Was at the game and can report that whilst the Brumbies penalty kicks kept them will in the game on the scoreboard, I never felt at any stage that they would win. Four tries to one was a pretty good indication of the difference between the two teams. Funny sort of game. As you would expect some sloppy ball handling and very stp/start due to a whistle happy ref.

Some quick observations:

• Mike Harris still has a 100% placekicking record in a Red jersey. Kicked two beauties from the sideline. His strength in this area is a big plus for him.
  • The first up halfback for the Reds, Frisby, is a decent size and had one great run for a try, but definitely needs to work on his pass. Harris was taking eveything way above his head.
  • Unfortunately for Aidan Toua, one very strong run ended with a hammy injury which apparently see's him out for a month or so.
  • I thought Shipperley was very strong and a there were a couple of trademark runs from Digby. Young Sautia was also in his debut in the Senior stuff.
  • Nic White from the Brumbies looked good as did Prior, so halfback looks well covered for them.
  • A couple of nice touches from the Brumbies wingers during the game.
As I said, a bit of a stop start game, but great to see some Rugby. The game was very well supported by the rugby community in Cairns and there was a great turnout.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Was at the game and can report that whilst the Brumbies penalty kicks kept them will in the game on the scoreboard, I never felt at any stage that they would win. Four tries to one was a pretty good indication of the difference between the two teams. Funny sort of game. As you would expect some sloppy ball handling and very stp/start due to a whistle happy ref.

Do you have feel for what the penalities were for? Just trying to work out what the problem is/was?

WWho was the ref?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Thanks for the repot Spectator. Good to hear the match was well supported. Trial matches are never the best spectacles but you don't often get to see such quality players in nth qld.

Sent using Tapatalk on a very old phone

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Some quick observations:

• Mike Harris still has a 100% placekicking record in a Red jersey. Kicked two beauties from the sideline. His strength in this area is a big plus for him.
  • The first up halfback for the Reds, Frisby, is a decent size and had one great run for a try, but definitely needs to work on his pass. Harris was taking eveything way above his head.
  • Unfortunately for Aidan Toua, one very strong run ended with a hammy injury which apparently see's him out for a month or so.
  • I thought Shipperley was very strong and a there were a couple of trademark runs from Digby. Young Sautia was also in his debut in the Senior stuff.
  • Nic White from the Brumbies looked good as did Prior, so halfback looks well covered for them.
As I said, a bit of a stop start game, but great to see some Rugby. The game was very well supported by the rugby community in Cairns and there was a great turnout.

Cheers for the report spectator.

How did the Brumbies' forwards fare in the second half compared to the first?

I'm curious as to whether these trial games might convince White to alter his preferred backrow selection and select those who seem to be in better form (Hooper, Vaea...)...

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Cheers for the report spectator.

How did the Brumbies' forwards fare in the second half compared to the first?

I'm curious as to whether these trial games might convince White to alter his preferred backrow selection and select those who seem to be in better form (Hooper, Vaea...)...

I honestly thought the second half Reds were going to towel the Brumbies second half side as there was a fairly large experience gap, but the young Brumbies acquitted themselves well. Like I said, I thought it was too stop start, so not many players got a chance to really shine.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Don't know who the ref was, just thought he was a bit pedantic.

How did the Brumbies look at the breakdown Speccy? What stood out for me in their Force trial waqs the aggression they had and they deffinatly looked like they had some SA influence.

Great to hear our boys got off to a good start. I am counting down the sleeps till round one.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Pleased that it is only a month or so and not season ending like some of his other injuries, I doubt he'd be needed anyway in the first couple of rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.