• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v. Crusaders, May 29th, Suncorp - 2011R15

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Hey guys,

I know it is a little early to start this one but I simply couldn't wait with all the hype. Who is in and who is out? Reds backline setup? Will Sonny-Bill play?

And with 30000 tickets sold already, will this game break the Aus attendance record?

Can't wait

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
SBW will play this weekend, Thorn will be back by the 29th as well.

As for the attendance record, I wonder whether the fact that it is an afternoon game might hold the crowd back a bit?

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
For some reason I don't think so...

My dad doesn't get out and watch much rugby, but he's taking my younger brother, lot's of families ect. I know that NJC purchased 300 tix as part of a father son day.

I'm also playing in the pipe band for the BBC V BGS gps game and I know that both will have a fair few at the game. With the amount of hype it just has to get close to a sell out, the Crusaders just seem to have that X-Factor that they bring to town.

M

Maroon Army

Everyone Rugby person I know has already bought tickets, I imagine its going to a huge crowd. I just hope I'm not surrounded by a bunch a Saders supporters.

G

GC

I'm flying up from Adelaide for it. Shit-load of fair-weather Reds supporters I know are coming along. Amazing how times change.

08umema

Carn Reds! Bandwagoning doesn't bother me at the moment as it is good to see Suncorp drawing big crowds. They are predicting 40 thousand so i expect the atmosphere to be electric

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I don't think the Sunday arvo slot will rule to many people out. It was the traditional time the big matches were played when I was younger. I also think a few league fans will come and have a look at Thorn and SBW. Broncos get big crowds in Brisbane on a Sunday. I also like the fact it is on the weekend after the State of Origin as it wont have that shadow over the game. They might even get a bit of press in the Courier Mail.

Tiger

Alfred Walker (16)
I think Sunday afternoon at this time of year is a cracking time to play rugby. If the weather stays true to form it'll be about 18 degrees and blue skies. With the 4pm start you can have a good boozy lunch somewhere and give it a bit of a nudge at the game but still be home for dinner. Perfect.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Bandwagoning is big in QLD. Just look at them jump off the Lions' wagon.

If you look at the very rapid drop down of Tahs' and Brumbies' crowd numbers in recent weeks, and to your reference to the (AFL) Lions above, isn't it now clear that Aus fans simply say: if it's not attractive to watch and the local team's not winning, I'm not paying and taking the trouble, period. The old pattern of enduring, tribal loyalty where a solid core of game-attending-always fans is rapidly decaying, and (at least) the football brands can no longer rely on it. The other fact that IMO MUST be accounted for: HD TV on a big plasma (60" versions can now be purchased for say $2-3k, and 50" a lot less) is, in all its impressive, immersive quality, likely taking fans away from live, and/or making fans say 'oh well, why bother to trek to a game and all the cost if my team's not doing well and I can just watch bits on HD TV if I need to'. But once the live spectacle improves and the consistent victories come back, the fans will very quickly come back as there's nothing like seeing exciting wins live (especially btw in a well sited rugby-friendly stadium like Suncorp).

You might have heard Link say this week that he was more than ever thinking hard about how the Reds must deliver a 'good crowd spectacle' as the Gold Coast AFL and a potential other NRL team in Brisbane were big rugby crowd-sapping threats...people only have so many $s to attend games. An interesting feature of the new QLD Link is how often he talks of the essential need for the Reds to entertain well and thus pull crowds, etc. He clearly has become much more attendance-and-fan-joy centric as a key metric in his thinking than he was in the NSW version. Partly to the credit of the very good new Reds CEO I suspect, and having a team with good natural rugby flair for an expansive, running game style (subject to winning).

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Crowd figures should be a KPI of the coach along with a number of others. It is really important. Ratings for their games could also be included to a lesser extent.

Staying home and watching the game is also a lot easier if you have young kids. I would love to go to the Crusaders game but I would need to bring my kids and that would involve not watching much rugby so I will stay home.

T

TheTruth

Crowd figures should be a KPI of the coach along with a number of others. It is really important. Ratings for their games could also be included to a lesser extent.

Staying home and watching the game is also a lot easier if you have young kids. I would love to go to the Crusaders game but I would need to bring my kids and that would involve not watching much rugby so I will stay home.

Understand your perspective Jets - but it is a shame that the kiddies don't get to enjoy the experience (agree that you would not get to see or enjoy much of the game - I used to be the same)

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Understand your perspective Jets - but it is a shame that the kiddies don't get to enjoy the experience (agree that you would not get to see or enjoy much of the game - I used to be the same)

The oldest one would be ok but his little brother isn't quite up for it. Next year I will be keen to take them both. Part of the reason too is that I want to watch the game closely as it is building up to be a big one. If the Reds win this then they can do anything.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Jets, knowing your son, can he sit still long enough to watch an entire game? Its what makes him such a fantastic (Under 6) Rugby player - he never stops. But I just watch him and I get tired. Sitting down for 100 minutes at Suncorp? Good luck!

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
If you look at the very rapid drop down of Tahs' and Brumbies' crowd numbers in recent weeks, and to your reference to the (AFL) Lions above, isn't it now clear that Aus fans simply say: if it's not attractive to watch and the local team's not winning, I'm not paying and taking the trouble, period. The old pattern of enduring, tribal loyalty where a solid core of game-attending-always fans is rapidly decaying, and (at least) the football brands can no longer rely on it. The other fact that IMO MUST be accounted for: HD TV on a big plasma (60" versions can now be purchased for say $2-3k, and 50" a lot less) is, in all its impressive, immersive quality, likely taking fans away from live, and/or making fans say 'oh well, why bother to trek to a game and all the cost if my team's not doing well and I can just watch bits on HD TV if I need to'. But once the live spectacle improves and the consistent victories come back, the fans will very quickly come back as there's nothing like seeing exciting wins live (especially btw in a well sited rugby-friendly stadium like Suncorp).

You might have heard Link say this week that he was more than ever thinking hard about how the Reds must deliver a 'good crowd spectacle' as the Gold Coast AFL and a potential other NRL team in Brisbane were big rugby crowd-sapping threats...people only have so many $s to attend games. An interesting feature of the new QLD Link is how often he talks of the essential need for the Reds to entertain well and thus pull crowds, etc. He clearly has become much more attendance-and-fan-joy centric as a key metric in his thinking than he was in the NSW version. Partly to the credit of the very good new Reds CEO I suspect, and having a team with good natural rugby flair for an expansive, running game style (subject to winning).

You make some good points. I have just observed that supporters of the Lions are more likely to jump off the wagon when their team is not doing well than say supporters of Collingwood. Admittedly, I am using an AFL example.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The oldest one would be ok but his little brother isn't quite up for it. Next year I will be keen to take them both. Part of the reason too is that I want to watch the game closely as it is building up to be a big one. If the Reds win this then they can do anything.

I took my two year old to the Force game. He is a live wire - full on (as many describe him). I was really worried, but just the spectacle of the whole thing kept him entertained. That and look for the 'dino' all the time (the St George Dragon).

In the end he got into the game though, and loved the set pieces the most - the 'jumps' and the 'pushes'. Much to my dismay as a former back.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
You make some good points. I have just observed that supporters of the Lions are more likely to jump off the wagon when their team is not doing well than say supporters of Collingwood. Admittedly, I am using an AFL example.

Collingwood supporters can't support anyone else - their ankle bracelets restrict such movement.
(Qualifier - when I lived in Melbourne I was taught about Collingwood by a Carlton supporter so may be biased)

M

Maroon Army

I went to the Lions game on the weekend and there was about 20 000 Bombers fans and about 5 000 Lions die hards. Couldn't believe my eyes.

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
I went to the Lions game on the weekend and there was about 20 000 Bombers fans and about 5 000 Lions die hards. Couldn't believe my eyes.

Yeah, I saw that on tv. I lived in Brisbane from 1995 - 2003 and witnessed the supporters jump on board around 2000 when the Lions started to become a force. Before that they would not have known what a footy looked like. Now they are jumping off.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Neh, I go with a lot of people to every game ( There was 30 of us at the blues), most would only watch a total of 35 mins of the game.

The chicks think it's funny when I go crazy when we score though...

That all said, everyone watched a lot of that blues game come to think of it, was pretty damn exciting

I think the whole bandwagonning thing is so true, and that's why clubs strive for membership - so even if things go so shit faced that no one turns up you still get a lot of revenue. Everyone loves a winner...

Status
Not open for further replies.