• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v. Crusaders, May 29th, Suncorp - 2011R15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I would actually think that SBW and Cooper would be going against Nasser's recommendations by chasing their desires. Nasser seems very money driven to me - my opinion, mind. I have a fairly low opinion of the vast majority of pro player managers around, and Nasser is no different. There just doesn't seem to be many ethics in the player manager profession. The way player managers very publicly shop their players around is unnecessary in my book, and it pisses me off no end to see players linked every which way when they have zero intentions of going there - for example, the regular parade of league stars so publicly stated as considering going to rugby a few years back.

I don't dispute that player agents are there to do the best for their client in terms of contract, but the way they do it is fairly lacking in ethics, in my book. The amount paid to the agent is also astronomical for the role they play. And going by what I have heard and seen from league players (for example, player agents giving "investment" advice to players so they can pocket kickbacks), the agents' general treatment of the client lacks morals and ethics. Just a general beef I have.

I respect decisions like SBW's to stay and chase his dreams (All Blacks + boxing) over more money. But I'd be amazed if there wasn't encouragement behind to the scenes to take the highest offer on the table.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Ash the way I read that article was that the Brisbane people were trying to make headlines by claiming they were in talks and such. Nasser himself said they're not an option until they actually win the bid, and the Brisbane bid seem to think that they'll be able to bring their 3rd party deals from rugby over to league? It's all a lot of hot air.

Yup, fair enough. I was probably reading too much into it, Nasser's comments were actually pretty damn reasonable to the journalist. It was the new league consortium talking it up. My apologies to Nasser.

To be honest, I was more frustrated by the lack of quality in the article - mainly from the "15,000 extra bums on seats" from the anonymous "Broncos official".

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
Also caught the second half of the replay and Lucas gets through so much at the breakdown both cleaning out and distributing the ball when Genia was otherwise occupied. I know this sounds like a radical idea, but any chances he could be the Wallabies back up 9? I realise this would relegate Burgess.

Interesting point VRF. I don't know how much practice Lucas does at 9 these days, Reg probably would know. But I watched the game again and you are right that he did a lot of work at the breakdown....I wonder whether this is under instruction or his natural game. Also you must remember that he kept Genia on the bench for some time until he did his ribs, so obviously he can play nine. I'm sure also that he got a couple of gigs with Aus A at 9.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Interesting point VRF. I don't know how much practice Lucas does at 9 these days, Reg probably would know. But I watched the game again and you are right that he did a lot of work at the breakdown....I wonder whether this is under instruction or his natural game. Also you must remember that he kept Genia on the bench for some time until he did his ribs, so obviously he can play nine. I'm sure also that he got a couple of gigs with Aus A at 9.

I think he is an ideal bench player, who can cover every backline position at a pinch, but would be a more than capable replacement, at 9,10,12 and 15.

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
I think he is an ideal bench player, who can cover every backline position at a pinch, but would be a more than capable replacement, at 9,10,12 and 15.

9,10 and 15 ...yes. I would be concerned if he had to play too long at 12. He gets knocked around as it is, but I feel like you do that he would be an asset.

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)

Very much agree. Would be a great bench option for the Wallabies. He is quickly developing into one of my favourite players.

Status
Not open for further replies.