• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v. Crusaders, May 29th, Suncorp - 2011R15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
AC: Just an add-on to your very good post on the game: at the game, my observation was that a number of Reds' players seemed very nervous and error-prone (especially in its earlier stages), as though 'the occasion', crowd size, the prestige of the opposition, the pre-hype, etc, really got to them when they hit the grass. Very much including QC (Quade Cooper) (but not Genia or Horwill) whom I thought was often anxious whenever he was not in a totally 'must react instantly' situation (and in those situations, as you note, his instinctive reactions were often extraordinarily good). His kicking from hand was often as erratic as was his place kicking (when he has place kicking blues it is often in the earlier periods, and he settles in the later periods).

I agree. When he was taking his later shots for goal I was yelling 'Stop fucking thinking Quade and just kick the thing'

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
AC: Just an add-on to your very good post on the game: at the game, my observation was that a number of Reds' players seemed very nervous and error-prone (especially in its earlier stages), as though 'the occasion', crowd size, the prestige of the opposition, the pre-hype, etc, really got to them when they hit the grass. Very much including QC (Quade Cooper) (but not Genia or Horwill) whom I thought was often anxious whenever he was not in a totally 'must react instantly' situation (and in those situations, as you note, his instinctive reactions were often extraordinarily good). His kicking from hand was often as erratic as was his place kicking (when he has place kicking blues it is often in the earlier periods, and he settles in the later periods).

I actually think Bullrush was somewhat right when he observed that QC (Quade Cooper), despite his exceptional talents which are now well recognised, has issues in high-pressure moments against the best opposition, not always, but it is there. NB: None of the foregoing is meant as any kind of 'excuse', just an observation. And an observation that is entirely consistent with Cooper's (and many other young Reds) age and short time at the top. Very few have had the years of game-hardening in the very top league that say Richie McCaw and Dan Carter and Brad Thorn have had, and for me, that showed in key moments (and certainly showed in Carter's peerless cool+talent at every moment). I also think these factors were partly true for SBW as well, he never seemed to relax into his game (plus the Reds dealt with him exceptionally well I thought).

Whilst it is absolutely admirable the incredible consistency of quality that Richie and Dan have shown over many years at the top, it is also noteworthy how the Reds are achieving what they are against top opposition, given the relatively young age of a number of their key players.

If, in time, QC (Quade Cooper) gets some of the 'presence' or 'calm' or 'inner peace' or whatever you call it, that Dan Carter always seems to have then he will be freakin' un-touchable.

You can call me biased if you like but the way Carter seems unfazed by anything that happens on the field and makes it look like he has hours of time and miles of space for anything he does puts him on another level. Even when his drop-goal was charged down he looked completely cool and calm.

I don't know if that type of temprement is compatible with the kind of audcaity that QC (Quade Cooper) seems to play with but if he ever gets the mix right.....let's just say I hope it doesn't happen before the RWC....lol

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
It seemed that Carter fielded almost all kicks in the second half. Is he being hidden

Nice one Scotty

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Strange question. As I said in my previous post, both teams played very well. Both teams did many good things and some bad things. Obviously when a game is decided by one point, both teams deserve to win.

As you hinted at in your earlier post, these two two teams went so hard at eachother that they forced eachother into uncharateristic errors. Both teams are arguably the best finishers in the comp and the amount of mistakes is a true reflection of just how intense this battle was. A draw in all honesty would of been a just result for this game. Personally I am happy for the win but happier that we have kept that unbeaten streak at home going. It is a bit easy for me to say being on the winning side of the ledger but the vibe I got out of this game was one of intense mutual respect.

O

OLDDOG

You can call me biased if you like but the way Carter seems unfazed by anything that happens on the field and makes it look like he has hours of time and miles of space for anything he does puts him on another level. Even when his drop-goal was charged down he looked completely cool and calm.

Carter is a class act indeed, and very calm.
I would however, like to add that he's not so calm if you set his team CRUS or ABs back on their heels a little, he does well when he's with the strong teams he's fortunate to be a part of, however, whenever his team are getting a bit of a touch up and fall well behind, which doesnt happen very often, his radar boot suffers from nerves, almost without fail. If his team gets superiority, he settles quick, and kills ya like ole morne' does.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
If, in time, QC (Quade Cooper) gets some of the 'presence' or 'calm' or 'inner peace' or whatever you call it, that Dan Carter always seems to have then he will be freakin' un-touchable.

I don't know if that type of temprement is compatible with the kind of audcaity that QC (Quade Cooper) seems to play with but if he ever gets the mix right.....let's just say I hope it doesn't happen before the RWC....lol

Experience is also on Carter's side. From what I gather, the common denominator between them is just how bloody hard the work off the field on their games. Cooper was hidden again in defence but when I was watching the game again this morning he made some much improved tackles. One that caught my eye was one on Corey Flynn front on which he executed with great technique. It looked like he has been working on this the way I seen it.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Carter is calm most of the time, but he didn't have a true pressure cooker kick. I remember morne Steyn in Bloemfontine had three pressure kicks from the sideline, one was close to 60m and they all went, to quote the commentators, "Straight down the kicking tee"

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
Experience is also on Carter's side. From what I gather, the common denominator between them is just how bloody hard the work off the field on their games. Cooper was hidden again in defence but when I was watching the game again this morning he made some much improved tackles. One that caught my eye was one on Corey Flynn front on which he executed with great technique. It looked like he has been working on this the way I seen it.

QC (Quade Cooper) is also amazing under the high ball. Ioane is hopeless, which could be targeted at the wc.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I'm starting to thing that with Cooper's high ball and freakish counter attacking skills that he should also be 'hidden' in defense for the Wallabies.

Beale to wing, push the centres in one?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Just watching the replay. Not wanting to start a shit fight but it is funny how off a saders scrum Mccaw often ends up in the way of the defending half back. Must just be clumsy I guess.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Another point that sticks out was that the reds won the game with both poor place kicking and general kicking. Not to mention the lineout.

I know the saders weren't at their best but the reds do also have a lot if improvement in them.

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
Also caught the second half of the replay and Lucas gets through so much at the breakdown both cleaning out and distributing the ball when Genia was otherwise occupied. I know this sounds like a radical idea, but any chances he could be the Wallabies back up 9? I realise this would relegate Burgess.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
And a finger has the work rate of a openside. One second he is at the bottom if a ruck next he is cleaning out at the next breakdown or supporting a mini break.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Another point that sticks out was that the reds won the game with both poor place kicking and general kicking. Not to mention the lineout.

I know the saders weren't at their best but the reds do also have a lot if improvement in them.

I agree, all kicking the Queensland was horrible, as was the line-out. Scrums were pretty poor (not much of a suprise, Daley needs to step up his scrummaging). But to think that if Quade Cooper had a good night with the boot, the Reds would of won comfortably.
Taking nothing away from the Crusaders though, they had injuries and weren't at their best either.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I would say that Genia has a similar calmness in his game that Carter has. Always has time to think things through. Cooper on the other hand has an over confidence in his amazing skill set, which makes it appear he is headless chicken when it doesn't come off, but boy, he knows what he is capable of alright.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
One match up that we were looking at before the game actually turned out a bit lopsided. Horwill vs thorn.

Thought thorn actually had a very quiet game.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Regarding the 48,301 people that showed up, allegedly only 33,301 people showed up to watch rugby, the Reds, and 14 Crusaders players.

[Sonny Bill Williams'] presence last Sunday helped the Reds attract a record Super Rugby attendance of 48,301 at Suncorp Stadium, with one Broncos official telling the Herald he believed Williams was responsible for ''putting an extra 15,000 bums on seats'' at the match, and could do the same in the NRL.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-brisbanes-new-dream-team-20110531-1feqz.html

Seriously?

Oh, and unsurprisingly Nasser is going around shopping SBW and Cooper to the highest bidder. I get the feeling that to sign any of Nasser's clients all you have to do is offer $1 more than anyone else - nothing else comes into it. Anyone read the article where Nasser was disappointed that Cooper signed with the ARU next year instead of shopping himself around to everyone?

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Oh, and unsurprisingly Nasser is going around shopping SBW and Cooper to the highest bidder. I get the feeling that to sign any of Nasser's clients all you have to do is offer $1 more than anyone else - nothing else comes into it. Anyone read the article where Nasser was disappointed that Cooper signed with the ARU next year instead of shopping himself around to everyone?

Can you explain why SBW didn't sign with Toulon instead of the All Blacks then? He would have been making many times the money - instead he preferred a contract that allowed him to pursue two great challenges: representing the All Blacks at the World Cup and continuing his development as a boxer. Likewise, what if Cooper genuinely wants to play State of Origin?

It's Nasser's job to get as many options and compensation available to his clients as possible, then for them to make the decision. All I see is a good manager that people are threatened by and 2 high-acheiving athletes with a broad set of goals. Big deal.

R

Redsfan

Ash the way I read that article was that the Brisbane people were trying to make headlines by claiming they were in talks and such. Nasser himself said they're not an option until they actually win the bid, and the Brisbane bid seem to think that they'll be able to bring their 3rd party deals from rugby over to league? It's all a lot of hot air.

Status
Not open for further replies.