• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v. Force Super Rugby Round 6 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
Put me in the anti-fan category... I'd be very happy for the Tahs to with the grand final, if it weren't for the nagging memory that these were the fans that boo their own team, and love players that niggle, but then have a sook when the niggle is returned.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
OK what were the positives? As someone said there are probably only three or four players who can hold their heads high.

Shipperley has been the Reds best player YTD and he was again one of the best on ground last night. Despite the Team not travelling well he is playing with confidence and can now be well and truly considered the starting right winger in a full strength side. Tapuai has also been solid but has had too much to do.

Higgers has been the pick of the forwards but really needs support. Slipper has impressed and with Holmes as a front row partner, and Hansen as hooker that is a solid area for the Reds. Chibba does need a bit more accuracy in the lineout though.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I think someone mentioned it before, bring in the now fit Toua into fullback, shift Davies to the wing and move either "Turnstile" or Shippers to 13.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Put me in the anti-fan category... I'd be very happy for the Tahs to with the grand final, if it weren't for the nagging memory that these were the fans that boo their own team, and love players that niggle, but then have a sook when the niggle is returned.
Because that's all Tahs fans, and, of course, there was universal displeasure in Qld with Quade's antics last year, and the bite on the arse that followed it?
I hardly think generalisations about fan groups help anything.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
The Reds have the stink of defeat about them now. They need to stop thinking about injuries and how hard it is and start thinking about getting out there and dominating with offensive tackling, accuracy at the breakdown and quick phases close to the ruck.

Even when they are building (back) into their game, as they did briefly last night, the decision making from senior players who should know better is woeful. Genia with the cross field kick when they were rolling forward in phases and were metres out. Horwill with the impossible pop pass.

What really pisses me off is the petulant whining instead of just getting on and paying attention. Genia gesticulating and complaining as the ball comes back - turnover.

The force were in their faces all night, and (wearing my red monocle here) they got away with murder at the breakdown - there was rarely release or daylight before Pocock or Hodgson attacked the ball. But the problem was the poor accuracy and speed of reds forwards getting there to take that way from the force.

Reactions: BPC

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Genia is less effective because his pigs are getting smacked about, he is getting slower, shittier ball and as such is under a shed load more pressure

I must admit that I am not seeing this amazing decline of genia that other reds fans are. His performances haven't been consistent across a whole game but the haven't been terrible.

And I wish people would get it out of their heads that the only way for a half back to pass is from the base of the ruck. Running a step or two allows your forward runners to get in motion and run slight angles. It allows genia to have the option of picking off one of two or three runners and is a lot harder to defend against than passing from the base to one stationary forward.

Passing quickly from the ground should occur when there is space out wide, but it is not necessary when using forward running options in tight.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Positive is we escaped without injury. Another positive is old man Samo no has a weeks rest under his belt. Positive is that a front row of Holmes, Chibba and Slipper are holding well up front. Positive is old man Van is going well. Positive is Higgers is playing very well and his team mates need to follow his example.

Do we have any positive news on the injury front? The critical two we need is Ant and Lucas.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Pocock certainly got away with more than Gill does. I suspect that is experience. One passage of play occurred where pocock came in to clean out from around 45 degrees then held onto Robinson well away from the ruck. A few plays later gill gets pinged as anae is about to turn over the ball.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
A good half back needs a good fly half and a good fly half needs a good half back. It's about trust and intuition. Genia's form is mediocre partly because of the standard of the back line, but also because the forwards are ordinary. Cooper wouldn't do well if he had poor service from the scum [edit: scrum! Should have also said ruck]. We saw that at the RWC when the forwards were bashed.
When Genia has Cooper outside him in attack the opposition defence has to spread just a little wider as they know that in 2 passes the ball can be 30m away as opposed to 20-25m with most other teams. Even if the channels open up by 50cm this allows room for genia to do those quick snipes. He is only 10cm from beaking the line when he attempts it at the moment, he is caught with a hand, not a body. QC (Quade Cooper) allows him to have bigger gaps to aim at

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
You'd think a few of the backs will be fit for the Brumbies game. I heard one of the commentators say last night that QC (Quade Cooper) was two months away?? Is that correct? I may be out of the loop but last I heard he was originally hoping to be playing before the end of April. Not that I think he is going to suddenly turn things around or save the Reds all on his own but it would be good to have our first choice flyhalf back.

Someone made a point earlier about Link bringing in blokes like Dallan and Rapana and then virtually hiding them in attack. Thats a very good point and to be honest I think I only saw the ball in Rapana's hands once or twice the entire game. So essentially the Reds were out there playing a few men down the whole game... at least in attack. Makes it pretty hard to score points. A team is only as strong as its weakest link and not to say the new blokes are weak but if they aren't even being used then i'd say there are some links missing entirely.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Pocock certainly got away with more than Gill does. I suspect that is experience. One passage of play occurred where pocock came in to clean out from around 45 degrees then held onto Robinson well away from the ruck. A few plays later gill gets pinged as anae is about to turn over the ball.

the ref was funny around the rucks. He seamed to allow some stuff in the first 30 and last 20 but in the middle penalized. Very inconsistent.

I'm amazed at how pocock gets onto his feet sometimes. It almost looks like a glitch in the tv. Unbelievable core strength.

Http://www.youtube.com/shiggins316

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Someone made a point earlier about Link bringing in blokes like Dallan and Rapana and then virtually hiding them in attack. Thats a very good point and to be honest I think I only saw the ball in Rapana's hands once or twice the entire game. So essentially the Reds were out there playing a few men down the whole game... at least in attack. Makes it pretty hard to score points. A team is only as strong as its weakest link and not to say the new blokes are weak but if they aren't even being used then i'd say there are some links missing entirely.

On the commentary last night Clarkie said something about Murphy not challenging the line and then Horan replied something along the lines as if he's been told directly just to shovel it on. Pretty weird that's the plan after Link came out directly and said Murphy was the most like Quade in terms of a "running" 10.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
OK. Now I have watched the replay, and alledgly calmed down a bit. I repeat one of my coments from last night - that would have to be one of the most depressing games of rugby I have watched in years - from a Reds perpective. From a Australian perspective however...... there are some positives I am sure. But from a weekend where the Force was the only Oz team to win, they are few and far between.

Reds work on the restarts, lineouts, posession, support and ball handling were generally shocking. Having said that there were some improvements from last week.

Defence I think was better, however there is still an element of of what appears to be mistrust in the line. This can only improve as the boys play together. At some point in time we have to be able to keep a similar team on the park for more then one week.

Dallan Murphy I think had a better game this week. Yeah there were a few stuffups on the tackle front but over all he was better. Needs to ditch the grubber kick.

Other then a couple of knock ons I think Davies actually had not a bad game either. Starting to think that perhaps he needs to stay at Full back and settle into the role. Morahan definitely performs better on the wing or in the centres, so maybe this is the solution.

Holmes, Hansen, and Slipper have to be our starting front row, at least until Daley gets his mojo back. Higgers still playing well.

Shatz had a poor game.... but I think this was as a result of his knock to the head early in the game.

Genia needs to start concentrating on playing his game and not trying to get a penality out of the ref. The pass that Morahan (?) put down at the 29 min mark from the scrum was meant for him. You need to play the ref. If the ref doesn't blow the whistle no amount of handwaving is going to get him there. This is starting to piss me off from Genia. And yes maybe a game or two on the Bench behind Fisby might be good, but can we afford his experiance to be sitting on the bench?

I was going to make this short but well...........

Positive, patient play from the Force. Sheehan played outstandingly. Seymour took his opportunity and should make a good fist of the 10 position if Stannard is out for a few weeks. Stannard was playing well until he was injured. There seems to be a lot of ankle injuries this year from players legs being caught under the tackler. Some worse then others. Is this a sutle technique thing?

Poey is sickeningly good. He seems to be running the ball up more this year. One thing we can be happy about is that Aust rugby is in good stead for openside flankers at the moment. In no particular order Poey, Hooper, Gill, Robinson, Hodgson....... Am thinking that it might be time to play two on the field at once. It worked well last night for the Force, and improved the Reds play as well. That would mean pushing Higgers to 8, but I think I would be able to live with that the next time we have to deal with the Force. We could then have Shatz and Quirke on the bench for fresh legs in the second half. Poey does have a lot of strapping on his back/shoulders/neck, and I have noticed this increasing over the weeks. I hope there is not a problem here that is going to lay he off for a little while.

Sharpie has a fair bit of niggle in him this year. Is still playing well adn it would be nice if he gets a couple of gold shirts this year. Had it all over the Reds lineout last night.

On the reffing. I actually didn't think it was to bad. There was a few tough calls on both sides, but that is going to happen. From my viewings there was nothing glaringly amiss.

Last comments:
Second half was better from the Reds.
I think Big Kev's nose bleeds from February to November every year.
Beau has found his razor, or at least stolen Higgenbothem's.
At least it wasn't a pants down.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Pocock the best Australian player since George Smith. Not particularly his debut. I think Australian rugby has forgoten just how good George Smith was.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Last year it was never about individual players at the Reds. They punched above their weight with team work. Like the Brumbies are doing now.

And then Robbie goes and selects the whole team for the Wallabies and look how that turned out.

Status
Not open for further replies.