• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v. Force Super Rugby Round 6 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

What2040

I don't think they'll throw in the towel, not Horwill, Link, Genia et al. These guys are relentless fighters.

But what we do need to do is right now get to the bottom of why our skill levels (handling, ball security, breakdown work, defensive work etc) have deteriorated, after 5 Rounds, so regularly and markedly v 2011. Coaching intensity lowered? Hidden 'champions' complacency'? Aging bodies? Hunger gone? The key is Quade? None of us really quite know, and our theories change nothing. The thing is: they have to come to know, and get the remedy right. If they don't, and not work hard, hard, hard on a fix, or fixes, by the Brumbies home game, we're gone for 2012, you can smell it a long way off after Loftus.

among others IMO Sanchez has been an absolute shadow of his skills and abilities shown last year and needs to really step up and again show what he is capable of. On current form he is behind other 9's in OZ

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Genia has caught the aimless kicking virus badly, both poor boxes (see RWC) and simple forward kicks. Typically under pressure without pause, and then right back to the opposition's waiting hands, grateful for the gift and the immediate counter in plenty of space. (Study the Sharks game and you'll see how damaging was his unnecessary kick forward at about 32 mins. Beauty said the Sharks, just as you had us under relentless pressure and we were yet again flummoxed as you attacked again, we can use the space now and mount our first major counter attack of the game, and, it was successful! They then rebuilt from that moment forward.)

In 2010 and most of 2011, his kicks were very disciplined and he had a wonderful, judiciously used, long-ish 'strategic' (a la Bruce R) kick for the corner that would bounce just right over the side line, say 5-10 metres in from the oppo's goal line. Winning tactic, beautifully executed.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Slow starts are fine but look at our draw, particularly the 4 weeks after the bye - Stormers, Blues, Crusaders, Chiefs.
All of whom we beat last season :rolleyes: - and we can do again. There is one thing that is becoming very evident though is how no team can really take thier finals hopes for granted this season. It seems to be very evenly matched! Loving that aspect of the comp!

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
I've put my tips in for next round.
Force to beat the reds by <10.
Reds on the road with too many injuries.
Reds look better in a head to head assesment on paper.
But the Force forwards will dominate set piece and broken play enough to give their reasonable backs a go.
MOM will come from the Force forwards.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I've put my tips in for next round.
Force to beat the reds by <10.
Reds on the road with too many injuries.
Reds look better in a head to head assesment on paper.
But the Force forwards will dominate set piece and broken play enough to give their reasonable backs a go.
MOM will come from the Force forwards.

The depressing thing is I think I agree...... :(

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Looking at the unavailable players for the Reds, I think they miss Digby and Harris the most.
Harris for points and Diggers for lots of things (speed, defense, X factor, work off the ball, he has leadership).

W

What2040

Looking at the unavailable players for the Reds, I think they miss Digby and Harris the most.
Harris for points and Diggers for lots of things (speed, defense, X factor, work off the ball, he has leadership).
Harris = points - YES YES YES
Diggers = leader - NAH - but agree with ALL the rest

Even though Reds in injury wonderland reckon Reds will come back strongly and win by 15.
Reds forwards last week with 3 exceptions (Higgers, Holmes and Slipper and Schatz maybe) were very poor. Think Link would have stuck a bomb up the arse of all 8 and they will exhibit a different performance against the Force.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I can't see the Reds pigs being as bad this week. The Force forwards are less likely to walk through leg tackles like the Bulls for a start

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Quirky also brings a high work rate to the side. As for playmakers, I think Murphy is the best available, with the possible exception of Matt Brandon. He would also answer the goalkicking conundrum.

He has a high work rate and aggressive in the tackle. He might be young and raw but he has a good aggressive edge.
Don't know why he didn't get a run over in SA. Gotta be mad to not use him this weekend.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I can't see the Reds pigs being as bad this week. The Force forwards are less likely to walk through leg tackles like the Bulls for a start

Have to agree fp. FWIW, Tatsy Taylor's tweeting last night sounded right on, they're hurting big time, going to work on it, expect much better outcomes Saturday. Didn't feel like PR stories.

Bulls game either a la Tahs loss to Force, the base shock therapy needed for a major Reds mental shift (coaches and team) or, we repeat the declines in Reds' skills' standards we've seen in Rnds 1-5 and thus we are in serious decline.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Wait and see what team we announce first. Personally I think even our weakened backline will match up ok against the Force.

They have done good job smashing us in other areas the last 3 times we've played though. Pocock probably a good fantasy captain this week actually.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
It was awesome watching the Reds last year. Surely we all knew that this year was going to be fard.
Being the most closely scrutinised team + Premiership hangover + injuries = a very tough year.
Go the Reds

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
It was awesome watching the Reds last year. Surely we all knew that this year was going to be fard.
Being the most closely scrutinised team + Premiership hangover + injuries = a very tough year.
Go the Reds

Yeah, and tough can the making of...

...this is what I said on the blog today:

The Reds are now a fascinating case of whether coaching toughness and calibre, ring-in selections, and team character can in unison survive and maybe prosper against all the odds now stacked again them. Hard to remember when an S1X team has lost its 3 credible 10s by Round 6 and you have no kickers left. Rugby folk lore for the ages could be made here if they can push through and get a Finals berth.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Does anyone have a list of when the reds injured contingent are expected to return?

I think the reds need to just focus on getting a win this week to make up some lost confidence.

Once the stars come back it will be a different team - but I think it is important that they come back into a team that is confident and still in contention.

Inter-conference games are super important to making the finals - we cant be dropping games to the force, although at this rate I don't expect a win this weekend.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Agree Bowside, I'd like to know injury time frames, because surley Wallace-Harrison and Ant Fainga'a were expected back around this time. I know Aiden Toua is training and fit again, but Link doesn't want to risk him just yet.

W

Waylon

The reality is the Reds are decimated by injury. The star studded backline that ripped apart defences last year isn't on the paddock.

The reality of top class professional rugby is you have to be strong everywhere to win. If you have an achilles heel it will be targeted with precision and exploited.

The Reds were mentally off their game against the Bulls. If you don't turn up when the Bulls are wanting to hurt you, you get pounded. They love it tough , direct and physical and they enjoy walking right over the top of you and belting you backwards when you have the ball.

If you put all the superstars back in the backline, the Reds start winning.

Injury presents opportunity for the Force.

Pro rugby is merciless. The Force smell a win and you can expect a hard game.

The Reds better turn up mentally or they can have some more pain

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
The reds forward pack will remain virtually unchanged this week, 'though I can see Robinson & Gill playing together with Higgers off the bench to give him a break against a lighter but faster Force pack. I think Simmons will keep his spot in spite of his poor performance last week. At the moment he is in poor form and putting him in the cupboard will not help things. Probably better for the coaches to mark him for special attention this week, even maybe get a sports shrink to session him.
Sam Lane has been brought in to keep Sanchez at half and probably give him some rest time as well, especially with Nick Frisby showing he is quite competent as his fill-in. Some of the previous posts here allude to Sanchez's lack of zip & he needs the time off which I notice other teams are strategically doing.
Murphy will probably be the run on 5/8 with Lane filling in off the bench for the inside backs. Tapai is obviously playing 12 but who at 13?
Wingers and full-back as from last week.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
They might play Samo at 13. Link could go for Robinson and Gill as the flankers, Higgers at 8 and Schatz off the bench.

My biggest worry (apart from place kicking) is our fullback. I am not a fan of Davies at the back. But we can't lump Morahan at fullback, he just isn't up to it at the moment. Best to keep him on the wing. So does link resign himself to Davies at fullback? Beats me, but with a casualty list as long as the British at the Somme, I don't see any other option.

W

What2040

Reports that Daley has a broken thumb - does anyone know for sure. If so the Slipper to LHP and Holmes at THP - that should adequately win the front row battle for the Reds. The Reds forwards need to man-up bigtime and dominate in set pieces and breakdowns.

Think Davies only spot is as an attacking winger. - - would prefer anybody at 15 to Davies

AND if Genia plays to ability Reds should get away with a reasonable win -

Status
Not open for further replies.