• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Force trial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
EMIRATES WESTERN FORCE TAKE FORMIDABLE SHAPE FOR REDS TRIAL
Monday, 2 February 2009 6:34pm RugbyWA

Matt Giteau will don the ocean blue for the first time in 2009 in Brisbane on Thursday

Emirates Western Force Coach John Mitchell has named a strong 24-man line-up for Thursday night?s pre-season clash with the Queensland Reds at Ballymore.

Wallabies Matt Giteau, James O?Connor and Nathan Sharpe will make their first appearance for the 2009 season in the WA side?s final trial fixture before the regular season kicks off at Subiaco Oval on February 13.

Sharpe has recovered from thumb surgery and resumes his captaincy of the side after David Pocock led the team to a narrow 24-19 defeat to the Crusaders in the pre-season opener on January 23.

The skipper will be joined in the second row by Pat O?Connor, who has recovered from a hamstring strain and will play his first match on Australian soil since 2006.

Teenage Wallaby James O?Connor has been named on a nine-man reserves bench, but will also take the field in a curtain raiser clash with Queensland A before the main fixture on Thursday night.

Scrumhalf Chris O?Young has also been named on the bench despite needing to pass a fitness test on an injured hamstring prior to the team?s departure for Brisbane on Wednesday morning.

Coach John Mitchell said the trial match would give his Wallabies contingent an opportunity for extended game time.

?The Wallaby guys are certainly looking forward to the hit out and you can?t substitute for match fitness.

They?ve prepared well since the first week of January but need to get back in and experience game situations and get used to the physicality again,? said Mitchell.

The trial match will also provide the first action of the new season for flanker Tamaiti Horua, however centre Ryan Cross will launch into the Super 14 season without playing in a pre-season match while remaining behind this week for the birth of his second child.

?We?re looking at developing some of our combinations ahead of the season, but there have been a number of other factors to consider in selections for this match,? said Mitchell.

?Obviously family takes priority and Crossy is not available for this match and a few boys haven?t played a lot of minutes in the pre-season. Guys like Pat O?Connor and Tamaiti Horua missed out on the Crusaders match through injury.?

Mitchell said he was looking for a more sustained effort from his charges in expected hot and humid conditions on Thursday night.

?The conditions are going to be tough, but we?ve prepared in very humid conditions this week.

?Against the Crusaders we played about half the match with the ball and half without, so it would be nice to us mount some more pressure on the Reds.?

Western Force v Reds Thursday 5 February, 2009 Ballymore, Brisbane
Kick off: 7.10pm AEST (6.10pm WDST)

Western Force
1. Pek Cowan
2. Tai McIsaac
3. AJ Whalley
4. Pat O?Connor
5. Nathan Sharpe (c)
6. Tamaiti Horua
7. David Pocock
8. Richard Brown
9. Josh Valentine
10. Matt Giteau
11. Drew Mitchell
12. Junior Pelesasa
13. Josh Tatupu
14. Haig Sare
15. Cameron Shepherd

Reserves
16. Luke Holmes
17. Gareth Hardy
18. Tom Hockings
19. Matt Hodgson
20. Chris O?Young
21. James O?Connor
22. Nick Cummins
23. Kieran Longbottom
24. Scott Daruda

There are too many tea leaves to shake here but the first thing I noticed is that PK Cowan (we always called him "PeeKay" at the Rats) is listed ahead of Gareth Hardy, but it may not mean anything.

That backrow looks like the best of the bunch. The midfield is not: is Spanner injured or something?

I would be surpised if Sare is a better wing than Cummins, even if Sare is a Rat. I can't remember if Sare was ever used by the Force at 13 - his best position - or so we thought at Rat Park.

C'mon Josh Valentine (another ex-Rat) - you've got to be better in Super rugby than what you've shown so far at the Reds and Tahs.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
hmm, with Blair Connor's good form, I was wondering if the selectors might consider this:

2008 Wallaby wing sensation Peter Hynes will switch to fullback for Thursday night's QR Reds? trial match against the Western Force at Ballymore, as selectors continue to experiment with the back three.

The versatile Hynes, last year's Wallaby Rookie of the Year, will wear No 15 to give Brando Va'aulu a chance to play wing for the first time this season.

Head coach Phil Mooney said it will also allow him to give recent league converts and fullback candidates Mark McLinden and Rod Davies more game time in the curtain raiser match against the Force Academy.

"We're still experimenting with the back three," Mooney said.

"Brando has yet to have a real crack at wing this season so he deserves the opportunity, and Hynesy has played fullback before. Mark (McLinden) really needs to play footy. It's better for him to have a good run in the early match rather than sit on the bench for the main game."

The Reds have opted to rest Hugh McMeniman from the match, although the Wallaby flanker won't spend the week on the couch.

"He?s obviously an athlete who has special requirements. Because he came back late from the Wallabies tour we?re going to give him some extra weights work,? said Mooney, keen for McMeniman to keep up the intensity in the gym this week to prepare for the opening two games in South Africa, rather than tapering off for the trial match.

"When we get to South Africa there'll be no time to do this type of work - you go straight into preparing for the first game (against the Bulls in Pretoria on February 14).

?So we need to get some good quality work into him before South Africa."

New recruit Adam Byrnes will partner Van Humphries in the second row, while Ben Lucas will start the match at scrumhalf with the equally talented Will Genia primed to come off the bench.

Young speedster Blair Connor has been rewarded for his impressive cameo against the Blues with a spot on the bench.

Mooney said there are still positions up for grabs before the squad for South Africa is decided.

"We?ve made a change at lock bringing Adam Byrnes in (for Robert Simmons) so that?s a great opportunity for him.

?The backrow we will have a look at as well.

?We?ve made a few changes from Auckland and clearly positions are up for grabs.?

As expected, Berrick Barnes is now fully recovered from last season's knee injury and will captain the side in the absence of James Horwill (foot injury). Morgan Turinui has been named in the side after earlier being in doubt with a shoulder injury.

?The medical opinion is that he will be right. We?ll get him to do a little bit of contact before the game and he should be there,? Mooney said.

The team is:

1 Greg Holmes - Sunnybank
2 Sean Hardman - Brothers
3 Dayna Edwards - Sunnybank
4 Van Humphries - Souths
5 Adam Byrnes - University
6 Scott Higginbotham - Wests
7 Daniel Braid - Sunshine Coast Stingrays
8 Leroy Houston - Norths
9 Ben Lucas - Sunnybank
10 Quade Cooper - Souths
11 Digby Ioane - Sunnybank
12 Berrick Barnes (c) - Wests
13 Morgan Turinui - Sunshine Coast Stingrays
14 Brando Va?aulu - Sunnybank
15 Peter Hynes - GPS

16 Saia Fainga'a - Souths
17 Laurie Weeks - University
18 Robert Simmons - Sunnybank
19 Poutasi Luafutu - Wests
20 Will Genia - Norths
21 Anthony Fainga'a - Souths
22 Blair Connor - Norths

The QAS Reds Academy/Reds 2nd XV squad to play the 5:30pm curtain raiser is:

1 Ben Daley - Reds/Gold Coast Breakers
2 James Hanson - Reds/University
3 Jack Kennedy - Reds/Souths
4 Liam Shaw - Brothers
5 Alastair Davidson - Souths
6 Cameron Bracewell - Gold Coast Breakers
7 Andrew Shaw - QAS Reds Academy/Brothers
8 Mitch Francis - Gold Coast Breakers
9 Brendan McKibbin - Academy/Brothers
10 Jono Lance - Academy/University
11 Rod Davies - Reds/GPS
12 Ben Tapuai - Academy / Gold Coast Breakers
13 Brett Gillespie- Academy/Brothers
14 Dom Shipperley - Academy / Brothers
15 Mark McLinden - Reds/Sunnybank

16 James Charalambous - Academy/Easts
17 Albert Anae - Academy/Sunnybank
18 Shon Siemonek - Sunshine Coast Stingrays
19 John Norton - Gold Coast Breakers
20 Mark Swanepoel - Academy/University
21 Albert Vuli Vuli - Souths
22 Elih Baillie - Academy/Brothers

The main match kicks off at 7pm. Gates open at 5pm. Tickets are available from Ticketmaster.

Limited on-site parking ($10) will be available, weather permitting. Brisbane bus routes 360, 361 and 364 stop outside Ballymore. Visit translink.com.au for more information. Traffic management will be in force around the stadium from 5pm.

F

formeropenside

Hynes to fullback for Force match

balance of quote deleted due to Noddy beating me to it

Ben Daley will have a fun night up against new Force signing Ben Castle in the curtain raiser.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Interesting that there is sign of Slipper? Is he injured? There are 7 props named (two on the bench for the Academy).

No team named for the Force Academy side but JOC (James O'Connor) is apparently playing? Lining up at 12 perhaps? Opposite Ben Tapuai perhaps? Nice little battle there.

And we must be struggling for locks if (1) we are picking Liam Shaw still (2) I have no idea who Alastair Davidson is and (3) I have no idea who John Norton is but I am assuming he is a backrower, leaving us no locks on the bench.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I'll be interested to hear how the first match goes as well.

Is Byrnes preferred over Simmons? I would've thought it'd be the other way around. The Reds looks slightly closer than the Force to full strength, but with a few injuries we could see both of these sides run out in the S14. Which is a bit worrying, as neither is very strong to me.

Regarding the Reds seconds:

- No Slipper. Guessing he's injured?
- No Toua. Guessing he's injured?
- Really interested to hear how Shaw goes at 7, Tapuai at 12 and Davies / McLinden at wing / fullback (guess they will each share half a game in those positions).

<edit> Damn Noddy beat me to Slipper.

F

formeropenside

No sign of Schatz for the Academy, which is a bit of a surprise.

Will Munsie was in the academy last year (at about 25) as a second rower (and he's over 2m) so I am a little surprised he did not get a call up.

Hopefully Punchy Shaw will keep him temper under control.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ash said:
I'll be interested to hear how the first match goes as well.

Is Byrnes preferred over Simmons? I would've thought it'd be the other way around. The Reds looks slightly closer than the Force to full strength, but with a few injuries we could see both of these sides run out in the S14. Which is a bit worrying, as neither is very strong to me.

- No Toua. Guessing he's injured?
- Really interested to hear how Shaw goes at 7, Tapuai at 12 and Davies / McLinden at wing / fullback (guess they will each share half a game in those positions).

The Australian Sevens squad for the World Series tournaments in Wellington and San Diego:

WILLIE BISHOP
WILL BROCK
BEN CORIDAS
DAMON MURPHY
AIDEN TOUA
LUKE MORAHAN
RICHARD KINGI
JONATHAN JENKINS
ED JENKINS
PETER BETHAM
SHAUN FOLEY
HENRY VANDERGLAS

R

rugbywhisperer

Ash said:

Slipper and Schatz are NOT injured, scared or hiding.
They are in new Zealand attending the Murray Mexted International Rugby Academy.
There are about 50 lads from around the world attending, about 50% yarpies, a high number from NZ, UK and only the 2 Aussie lads selected to attend.
The camp runs from the 1st Feb to 20th Feb.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
rugbywhisperer said:
Ash said:

They are in new Zealand attending the Murray Mexted International Rugby Academy.
There are about 50 lads from around the world attending, about 50% yarpies, a high number from NZ, UK and only the 2 Aussie lads selected to attend.

yeah? Thanks for the heads up. Is it invitation only or is it invitation by way of an initial down payment of $20,000 only?

R

rugbywhisperer

Noddy said:
rugbywhisperer said:
Ash said:

yeah? Thanks for the heads up. Is it invitation only or is it invitation by way of an initial down payment of $20,000 only?

No invitation only. Nominated by the Reds and paid for by the Reds.
As I understand each state/region nominates players and for the camp there is max only 3 players per position totalling 45 however apparently there are only 30 fronting up this year. Fairly elite gig if you can get a ticket.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
well it was a damn good decision to send over a prop and a backrower. That's perfect for us.

Really good work by the Reds in being proactive with this.

R

rugbywhisperer

Slips has an awful lot of promise. Apart frpm having the skills and the physique he has a deep burn to succeed.
I see a great future for him and obviously so do the Reds.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I thought this was interesting from Brett Harris in the Aussie this morning.

Queensland coach Phil Mooney revealed Wallabies winger Peter Hyne's selection at fullback was a strong pointer to him starting at No15 for the opening game against the Bulls.

T

TOCC

makes sense really, apart from Hynes having a pretty weak kicking game, he is the perfect candidate for fullback

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
The strong feeling was always that either Hynes or Vaalu was ging to start at 15. Agree TOCC, makes absolute sense.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
It made sense but I hadn't heard of Mooney giving such a strong opinion before about Hynes at 15.

Here is an excellent article on the matter:

By Jim Tucker

February 03, 2009 11:00pm

WALLABY winger Peter Hynes is certain to switch to fullback for Queensland's Super 14 opener in Pretoria with Mark McLinden on L-plates.

The move will be tested tomorrow from 7pm at Ballymore when Hynes wears the unfamiliar No. 15 on his back in a full-on trial against Matt Giteau's Western Force.

It is a shrewd call to cope with the tough kicking exam posed by South Africa's Bulls on February 14 rather than any snub on McLinden's ability to blossom in rugby.

High-altitude Pretoria, where the ball flies further, is not the place to expose him as a first-timer with scratchy positional sense and a modest kicking game to get out of trouble.

Coach Phil Mooney said yesterday he was still experimenting with his back three as the Reds dealt with filling the void left by departed fullback Chris Latham.

McLinden will continue his education in tomorrow's 5.30pm curtain-raiser for the Reds Academy against the Force Academy.

"Mark has ticked all the boxes so far but needs more footy to bring him along," Mooney said.

"It's best that both Hynsie and Mark get full games at fullback on the same day rather than have Mark sitting on the bench for the main game."

Equally, there is reward for Brando Va'aulu, stronger and more confident this year, in earning a wing chance.

The Reds need to make a statement of their intent for 2009 tomorrow night.

"We'll surprise a lot of teams. We're ready to put in a much better year and not let those chances for big scalps slip as they did in 2008," Hynes said of improving on 12th place.

Hynes is unfazed by being shifted from the wing, where he excelled in 13 Tests last year.

"The Wallabies for 2008 are over. I'm happy to play fullback if that suits the team but I'll let the coaches know if I'm not happy there as well," Hynes said.

"You get more ball at fullback, with a licence to run, so I'm keen to see how I go.

"Mark is a very good player. He has the speed and agility that a rugby fullback needs and he's working on a few things in the position that can only come with game time."

Hynes played some games at fullback for his old club, University, and has developed his left-foot kicking since former coach Eddie Jones experimented with him at flyhalf in late 2006.

The Reds are taking no risks with injury-prone forward Hugh McMeniman. He has been rested from the trial to top up his strength work for the Bulls clash.

"Because he came back late from the Wallaby tour, we're going to give him some extra weights work, because when we get to South Africa there will be no time to do this type of work," Mooney said.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
where's James Stannard now?

Emirates Western Force recruit Josh Valentine has been ruled out of tonight?s final pre-season clash with the Queensland Reds with a hamstring strain.

Team medical staff have taken precautionary measures in withdrawing the 51-capped veteran from the match, after he failed to fully recover from a slight strain of his hamstring sustained at a training session last week.

The news follows that of Chris O?Young?s withdrawal with a similar injury yesterday. O?Young did not travel with the team to Brisbane after straining a hamstring at Monday?s training session.

Valentine will watch from the sidelines tonight as 19-year-old Academy scrumhalf Justin Turner will take the field in the Number 9 jersey.

Kalamunda premiership captain Aaron Murphy has been called into the lineup as the back up scrumhalf on a nine-man reserves bench (see below for updated team list).

Emirates Western Force v Reds

Thursday 5 February, 2009

Ballymore, Brisbane

Kick off: 7.10pm AEST (6.10pm WDST)

Emirates Western Force

1. Pek Cowan
2. Tai McIsaac
3. AJ Whalley
4. Pat O?Connor
5. Nathan Sharpe (c)
6. Tamaiti Horua
7. David Pocock
8. Richard Brown
9. Justin Turner
10. Matt Giteau
11. Drew Mitchell
12. Junior Pelesasa
13. Josh Tatupu
14. Haig Sare
15. Cameron Shepherd

Reserves

16. Luke Holmes
17. Gareth Hardy
18. Tom Hockings
19. Matt Hodgson
20. Aaron Murphy
21. James O?Connor
22. Nick Cummins
23. Kieran Longbottom
24. Scott Daruda

and you don't have to answer that, I know where he is. Of course we know the better option would've been Gits to 9 and Daruda or JOC (James O'Connor) to 10...

Anyway seen the Force Academy side at all???

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Time at FB at S14 level could be the thing rhat could really mature Hynes game as an Int'l winger. His workrate will increase and his ability to read the game will improve.

Reds are my ''Aussie side'' and will be looking for a much improved Cooper, and despite what may seem the prefered move for the Wallabies, I like how Mooney has come out and backed Cooper as 10 and 8arnes at 12. Barnes is one of the best tackling 12s going around and I wouldn't want to lose that.

Status
Not open for further replies.