• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Force trial

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hatchie

Media update from the Force:

"Force have been defeated 22-19 by the Reds in front of 5632 at Ballymore. The Force led 19-0 after 42 minutes but were blown away from a fierce Reds comeback in the final 30 mins. David Pocock bagged 3 tries, while Digby Ioane crossed 3 times for the Reds."

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
This may take a while, one too many....

II sides:

Force - 1.Troy Tariaki 2. Ben Whittaker 3. Ben Castle 4. David Pusey 5. Brent Murphy 6. Richard Stanford 7. Flip Manu 8. Mark Scmidt 9. Aaron Murphy 10. James O'Connor 11. Conrad Gillingham 12. Scott Daruda 13. Zac Holmes 14. Adam Darcy 15. Dane Haylett-Petty 16. Ryan Tyrell 17. Brendan O' Dea 18. Fa'atu Faiuma 19. Alex Rovira 20. Nick Phipps 21. David Paurini 22. Tuki Muli 23. Heremaia Te Auta

Reds - 1. Ben Daley 2. JamesHanson 3. Jack Kennedy 4. Liam Shaw 5. Alastair Davidson 6. Cameron Bracewell 7. Andrew Shaw 8. Mitch Francis 9. Brendan McKibbin 10. Jonno Lance 11. Rod Davies 12. Ben Tapuai 13. Brett Gillespie 14. Dom Shipperley 15. Mark Mc Linden 16. James Charalambous 17. Albert Anae 18. Shon Siemonek 19. John Norton 20. Mark Swanepoel 21. Albert Vuli Vuli 22. Elih Baillie 23. Mitch Wade

Plenty of players that I have neither seen or heard of before.

The Qld side were convincing winners in what was a fairly ordinary game. I thought Dane H-P looked very useful for the Force, and I would lean towards Daruda as a reserve inside back in preference to O'Connor at this stage. Holmes was handy a very nuggety player and the 14 showed some quick feet. Flip Manu is a big unit and showed glimpses but generally ddn't see much in the forwards.

For Qld, Hansen was impressive, as were 7. Shaw and the 8. Francis. McKibben is a very solid 3rd stringer and has a great boot, and Tapuai showed he is not far away. I will reserve judgement on McLinden but he did nothing wrong apart from being isolated ocassionally. Vuli Vuli was a handful when he came on and the two Nudgee 08 boys Shipperley and Baillie were very impressive in patches.

The main game was, at the risk of being cliched, a game of two halves. The Reds lacked intensity in the first half and Pocock particularly, put them to the sword. He is a class act. I thought Giteau had a very controlled game at 10. and his kicking game was surprisingly sound. Pelesasa looked strong in the midfield, Mitchell had his moments and Horua went ok as well.

Second half was all Red and Faainga (the hooker) shone. Looks like a great acquisition. Braid is going to be a great asset and the other loosies Higginbottom and Luafutu suggest that there is good depth at the back. Just have to hope that Leroy has better ball security than he showed tonight. Cooper looked more mature but it wan't one of his best and Barnes looked in need of the run. The halfback tussle will be a good one. Lucas did nothing wrong but Genia was sharp when he came on. Hynes will be a solid stop gap 15. and Digby was excellent. I also like the look of O'Connor when he got on. Really don't know about Morgs?

Only a trial game so hard to guage but the Reds second half resilience was encouraging for diehards.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
From Green and Gold Rugby:

Although the Reds ended up scoring more points than the Force, it is not what you would call a victory. Both coaches would not be entirely happy with their respective sides performance but I suppose you don?t want to be playing your best rugby before the season starts do you??..

Positives for the Force
They look very comfortable with what they are doing; they played real rugby from the outset, no trial-throw-it-around bullshit. They blitzed the Reds who looked shell shocked and unable to get into the game in the first stanza.

The Force backrow was outstanding, and not because David Pocock scored a hat-trick just after half-time. They dominated the breakdown and were able to disrupt the Reds ball at the back of most rucks. Pocock is massive, he looks like he has put on about 5 kilos from last year.

Said Pocock to G&GR after the match ?Last year I lost weight throughout the season so I have put on some kilos this year. I feel good and I?m ready to go??.LOOK OUT!!! Sources close the Force told G&GR that had Pocock set a new bench press record in a pre-season weight session by lifting 170 kg, beating Digby Ioane?s two year old record by 10 kgs.

Giteau didn?t really get out of third gear but on a night like this he was probably was never going to anyway. Kicks well, makes his tackles and makes opposition defenders around the 2nd and 3rd channels look cod-ordinary. The highlight of the evening was a twinkle-toed effort around some tired Reds? pigs and a magic seed to Junior Pelesasa which didn?t result in a try but should have.

The scrum owned the Reds in the first 20 minutes and later in the game took a tight -head. Consensus in the press box was the Reds? scrum got the better of them by the end of the night but I dispute that, in my mind the Force certainly had the better of it.

Justin Turner, an 18 year old Force academy product who looked the business after being called in at the last minute to cover for Josh Valentine and Chris O?Young after they both did ?strings at training during the week, got shortened up after slipping a great ball to Pocock for his first try after only two minutes, but brushed himself off didn?t look back. Word from the Force camp is that Valentine will be ready to go next week but O?Young might miss the game, not to worry as Turner looks like he can do the job.

Negatives for the Force
When the big guns went off around the 50 minute mark, the Force fell apart and allowed the Reds to start their come-back. To me this raises questions about the squad of the Force, will they cope with injuries, particularly to either Giteau, Pocock or Sharpe. When you add to this the Force 2nd XV getting done 31-10 by a throw together Reds academy team, and serious questions need to be raised about the depth of the Force.

Despite the dominance of the first 50 minutes, the Force didn?t really attack, maybe this was part of the brief from coach John Mitchell, however they seemed content to sit back and wait for their opportunities from turnovers rather than going looking for points themselves.

They simply did not score enough points relative the opportunities that presented themselves - not a crime for pre-season but something that might become an issue as the year progresses if they don?t develop a more team orientated attack rather than just relying on Gits.

Positive for the Reds
Digby Ioane has learnt how to catch and Quade Cooper has learnt how to tackle!.

Diggers scored a hat-trick to match Pocock?s and the Reds looked far more enterprising than the Force creating more scoring chances even if they failed to capitalise on most of them.

The Reds this year look as though they will score points on a regular basis, something which has eluded them in year past. As the game progressed the Reds were able to find their attacking options out wide where they are blessed with real pace in the form of Diggers, Peter Hynes, Brando Va?aulu and the surprisingly capable 20 year old, Blair Connor .

Fitness - after years of getting done in the last 15 minutes of games due to a lack of condition, it looks as though the Reds may have gotten this part of their preparation 100% right. Right up until the final whistle the Reds were full of running. Indeed all throughout the game the Reds played an up-tempo style and challenged the Force to stick with them.

Speaking to G&GR Coach Phil Mooney was also pleased with his sided level of fitness ?In the second half we really gained some momentum and I was really pleased with our conditioning - I thought that was quite telling?

Mooney then went on to send The Cote into raptures by using the clich? lovers clich? ?It was a game of two halves? to describe the turn-around in the Reds fortunes after half-time

As soon as things got a little unstructured, the Reds looked most comfortable playing a ?jungle ball? style of rugby at time which can be low percentage, but high return if the passes stick. After years of straight jacket rugby this is a massive step forward and should at least get the crowds at Lang Park cheering on occasions.

Negatives for the Reds
Coach Phil Mooney put the Reds lack of composure when on attack down to ?youthful exuberance? which is being a bit kind, I liken it to pre-mature ejaculation. Young men not knowing the joys that could be had if only they would just remember that it all doesn?t have to be done in such a rush. Take your time, slow down, enjoy it!!!

The Reds consistently dropped attacking ball last year and it looks as if old habits die hard. Leroy Houston alone was responsible for shelling three passes that would have lead to tries, sad to think that Diggers might be taking classes on ball handling, huh!!

The Reds set piece was awful, three lost line-outs inside the Force 22 plus another lost line-out that would have lead to a Force try but for an errant pass. This must have forwards coach Mark Bell very worried indeed. When you throw into the mix a tight-head to the Force and Bell may well be verging on basket case considering the Reds face the Bulls first up.

F

formeropenside

There were reports up here on both the Academy and main trials - the Academy game was largely about how McLinden looked good, but I was stunned to see two separate reports on a Reds trial and a Reds Academy trial.

Apparently the Reds Academy scrum was all over the Force academy, which included Ben Castle. Still its very worrying if the Reds scrum got done by the Farce: a strong set piece is what Qld rugby needs to be built around.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I was at the game last night & it really was a game of two halves, Pocock & Brown seemed head & shoulders above any other forward on the park. They both seem to hit harder & play at a higher intensity.

Daniel Braid looked good for the Reds in the 1st half as did Lucas except for that missed tackle on Pocock to give him his 2nd try.

Qld did bomb 2 good chances in the 1st half with poor handling but the 1st 45 minutes really belonged to Pocock.

The 2nd half was all Qld, Ioane didn't touch the ball in the 1st half but got plenty in the 2nd & was brilliant "look out Lote", Higginbotham was queenslands best forward in the 2nd half & I expect to see him start at 6 next week with MMM moving into the lock position.

Berrick Barnes started to look better as the game went on but he looked very rusty in the 1st half.

R

Rugby Rat

Not at all suprised that the farce took some lineout ball with Moore now a Brumby.

3M should make a difference.

The scrum is all that matters against the Bulls in round 1. With a few good "in form" finishers by way of Hynes and Ioane they should be able to capitalise on anything loose from the Bulls. A bit of zip from Mclindon will handy.

Lucas and Genia might get owned by some of the better halves tho, paticularly if the Reds scrum is going backwards. If it ( Reds scrum) does I would expect Cooper to switch with Barnes at 10 if Barnes starts at 12.

Status
Not open for further replies.