• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Hurricanes: June 15: Sunshine Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
An update on Ewen's planning for this match, which I for one am looking forward to! 'Canes have troubled the Reds in recent years. CFS, LG and Frisby of course are in RSA.
Reds aim to field stars in clash
Steele Taylor | 6th June 2012 6:00 AM | Fraser Coast Chronicle
Updated: 8:38 AM

QUEENSLAND coach Ewen McKenzie is eager to unleash his big guns on Wellington when the two sides collide in an exhibition match at Stockland Park on June 15, but only if they are not needed for national duty the following day.

The Sunshine Coast match represents the Reds' only hit-out during a five-week mid-season break and McKenzie is intent on making the most of it by utilising some of his 11 Wallabies players if they are not playing for Australia against Wales in Melbourne.

"There is a national squad of 30 and selectors will pick 22 for the Welsh Test, so there should be eight spare guys and if there are a few Reds there we'll hopefully grab them," McKenzie said yesterday.

"I have spoken to (national coach) Robbie Deans and he's definitely going to allow guys that aren't in the 22 to participate."

McKenzie could not say whether unpredictable stand-off Quade Cooper, who recently returned from a lengthy injury layoff, would play at Bokarina if not needed by Deans.

"There's no doubt (he needs a run), but we've also got to make sure he's 100% in terms of his recovery," McKenzie said.

"He's down there at the Wallabies camp and they have been putting him through his paces and obviously they don't think he's quite ready yet.

"There's medical input still going on with him.

"Even though he's played a little bit, there's still a few bits and pieces which he's got to tidy up."

A linchpin of Queensland's premiership-winning run last year, Cooper damaged his knee at the World Cup and struggled to impose himself.

He has played less than two games for the Reds since his comeback, but McKenzie is backing the 24-year-old to get back to his best.

"No question," he said.

"He suffered what is normally a seven to nine-month injury. He played last week after six and a bit months, so he's ahead of schedule in many respects.

"The fact he has been on the field already does give him a great launching platform."

McKenzie confirmed Reds regulars Radike Samo, Ed Quirk, Jake Schatz, Greg Holmes and Adam Wallace-Harrison should play next week.

"And there are a couple of guys we want to have a look at contractually for next year, so it's a good opportunity for them," the coach said.

The ninth-placed Reds and sixth-placed Hurricanes are desperately chasing Super Rugby finals berths.

With just three rounds remaining, McKenzie expects a free-flowing affair on the Coast.

"The Hurricanes are one of the highest scoring teams in the competition, so it should be an open-running affair," he said.

The 46-year-old, linked to the Reds until 2014, denied rumours he could return to Sydney to take the reins of the Waratahs in the near future.

"That was just newspaper talk. It was just a journalist thinking out loud," he said.

"No one actually asked anyone any questions.

"It didn't come from anywhere - it was just a journalist speculating really.

"I'm happy here. This is my third year up here and I've still got unfinished business."

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
From a pack perspective I think we are ok, although we may need to trial some lock options. But a pack something like:

8 Schatz
7 Beau
6 Quirk
5 Samo
4 AWH
3 Holmes
2 Hanson
1 Daley.

With Anae and Shepherdson as front row back up.

Backs are a little more of a question, but could depend on which Wallabies are released.

Perhaps something like:

15 Murphy
14 Shipperley
11 Rocket
10 Quade
9 Lucas

Whether Morahan or Harris is available could answer who plays in the centres.

Then its a matter of filling the bench.

What's the 7s schedule? I wonder is Shannon Walker might be an option?

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
You say that Barbar like the Canes will hardly notice the loss.

Re Quade, unless Beale makes it back, I'd be sending Quade in v Wales with Berwick on standby. With Kurtley back I'd be releasing Quade to get gametime.

Ath.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Ath: Deans has made it clear that QC (Quade Cooper) will play no part in the June Tests. It's all a bit of a mystery quite why even the bench option for QC (Quade Cooper) is also excluded. Continued rehab is being referred to.

Apart from the June 15 match, it's not clear yet how QC (Quade Cooper) will get more game time pre the resumption of the S15.

A

AlexH

Apparently, Ben Tapuai's arm is out of the sling. Any chance of him being fit to play?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Apparently, Ben Tapuai's arm is out of the sling. Any chance of him being fit to play?

Collarbone break requiring surgical correction is typically 3 months until contact sports can be resumed. If so in BT's case, that would put his return at late July would it not?

A

AlexH

Collarbone break requiring surgical correction is typically 3 months until contact sports can be resumed. If so in BT's case, that would put his return at late July would it not?

Well, if that's the standard recovery period I guess so.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Would love to see Toua get a run. Walker is also an option.

It will be interesting to see who they call up from clubland to cover lock, halfback and centre.

I haven't seen enough games this year to comment but I'm sure one of you will have a fair idea about whose playing well in those positions.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
anyone seen this team? GPS have just tweeted:

Congrats our boys selected for the Reds nxt Fri night v Wellington Hurricanes. Scott Maloua, Radike Samo, Jay Havelu, Ruan Smith, Matt Blain

would like to see who else is picked.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Is Joel Rapana fit? I really liked him in that one (i think?) game I saw him play 13 in.

T

TOCC

RugbyReg,
Didn't Anae break his arm?????
he broke his forearm, but he is still attending some trainings..

Players have played after breaking the same bone before.. For a prop it becomes a little bit more difficult, but i don't think Anae is ruled out for the season quite yet.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Are the Stringrays playing a home game as the curtin raiser? Would be a huge shot in the arm for community rugby in the area.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Are the Stringrays playing a home game as the curtin raiser? Would be a huge shot in the arm for community rugby in the area.

I wonder because it is a 6.30pm game so that means the Stingrays would have to kick off around 4.30pm. Would be good for the community.

Status
Not open for further replies.