• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Hurricanes: June 15: Sunshine Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Team named

QUEENSLAND: G Holmes, J Hanson, G Sheperdson, A Wallace-Harrison, B Enever, E Quirk, J Schatz, R Samo, B Lucas (c), D Murphy, S Seuli, N Gendle, R Tapuai, D Murphy, L Morahan. Interchange: M Wade, K Davis, R Smith, N Ah Wong, M Blain, L Creighton, J
Rapana, S Malolua.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Shows how many injuries we have when there are that many Premier players. Although I think they have picked the right ones, most of them have been in form for the past two seasons.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'm interested to see how Scott Malolua goes if he gets on. AUS schoolboys last year and has been playing Prem Grade and Prem Colts down at GPS this year, very handy halfback.

This may be the last time Radike gets to chuck on that Reds jersey, shame I can't make it to the game.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Who's the other D Murphy? They have Dallan named at 10 (presumably) and have another D Murphy at 14?

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Team named

QUEENSLAND: G Holmes, J Hanson, G Sheperdson, A Wallace-Harrison, B Enever, E Quirk, J Schatz, R Samo, B Lucas (c), D Murphy, S Seuli, N Gendle, R Tapuai, D Murphy, L Morahan. Interchange: M Wade, K Davis, R Smith, N Ah Wong, M Blain, L Creighton, J
Rapana, S Malolua.

I don't see any Shipperly? As he hasn't been named in the Wallabies squad, what is he doing? I'd hate for him not to get any game time during this break!

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I don't see any Shipperly? As he hasn't been named in the Wallabies squad, what is he doing? I'd hate for him not to get any game time during this break!

Latest twitter updates indicate he is with the Wallabies in Melbourne (Diggers photos). I guess they're keeping him close to the squad as injury backup.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Shane Seiuli has been ruled out with a hamstring injury. Really disappointing for him as he has been in pretty good form. Heard that Shipperly may play if the Wallabies release him tomorrow.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Gee, what of QC (Quade Cooper), thought he'd play this for sure, to build match fitness.

Also, with JH out for X months to come seemingly, what are our lock plans do posters think? Who'll replace JH to start for the S15 Reds - AWH? - and then who'll bench up in support. Is Van ready?

tl12, what's your assessment of Enever, is Link considering him for a contract?

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I've been really impressed by Blake this season. Does alot of good tight running and belts rucks. In a similiar mould to Horwill. Line-out wise it is hard to tell as Easts hookers can't hit water if they fell out of a boat currently. But from what I have seen he'd be the best lock running around in grade currently. He also has had experience in the Reds system before in the Academy last season and the National Academy this year. Also was one of the starting locks in last years u20's side.

With Samo and Humphries on there last legs, I think this is an indication that Blake is being trialled by Link. He might even be drafted as a cover this season as Horwill, Humphries and McDuling are injured.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think Samo might play lock for the rest of the season with AWH coming off the bench. It will give the pack an older head who can play a tight game when required. Also he can bash guys in defence.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Gee guys, Samo has looked 'as though retired' in many of his 2012 appearances, and he's delivered some highly expensive defensive shockers too.

I'd worry greatly over his taking a starting lock position in our last few finals-destiny-defining games.

Wouldn't you?

W

What2040

Gee guys, Samo has looked 'as though retired' in many of his 2012 appearances, and he's delivered some highly expensive defensive shockers too.

I'd worry greatly over his taking a starting lock position in our last few finals-destiny-defining games.

Wouldn't you?

Agree RH - where is ben Daley/ Injured ???? some of these blokes I've never heard of but great opportunity for them to wear the jersey, and a chance to impress - good luck

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Shipperley added to the squad now:

Playmaker Ben Lucas will captain a strong St.George Queensland Reds side wanting to maintain their midseason momentum in Friday night’s exhibition match against the Hurricanes at Stockland Stadium Sunshine Coast.
Lucas headlines a strong 23-man squad which includes 10 contracted Queensland Reds players, two Extended Playing Squad members, six National Academy representatives and an array of Queensland Premier Rugby’s best talent.

“It means a lot every time you wear the Reds jersey so it’s a huge honour to be chosen as captain for our clash on the Sunshine Coast,” Lucas said.

“We’re treating the fixture as an important part of our campaign and the Hurricanes, who are one of the inform teams in the competition right now, will offer the sort of challenge we are after before Super Rugby starts back up in a fortnight.

“It’s important we maintain the momentum we built prior to the midseason break by coming away from the Sunshine Coast with a win.”

Lucas, who re-signed with Queensland Rugby for a further two seasons earlier in the year, has been selected at scrumhalf as part of a backline which also includes fellow 2012 Wallabies train-on squad member Luke Morahan at fullback.

The pair will be joined later in the match when the electric Dom Shipperley is injected into the encounter from the bench.

21-year-old Jake Schatz has been announced as vice-captain and will feature at blindside flanker in an all-Reds backrow which also includes popular cult figure Radike Samo at No.8 and Eddie Quirk at openside.

Up front props Greg Holmes and Guy Shepherdson will pack down alongside hooker James Hanson to provide plenty of impact in a forward pack which features seven contracted Reds players with Adam Wallace-Harrison at lock.

EPS flyhalf Dallan Murphy earns selection in the number 10 jersey as part of a backline that includes older brother Damon Murphy on the wing.

The remainder of the backline is made up of Queensland Premier Rugby flyers with Nathaniel Gendle and Rex Tapuai, brother of Reds dynamo Ben, in the centres and Shane Seiulu on the wing.

Wallabies squad member Dom Shipperley headlines an eight-man bench made up of EPS prop Kevin Davies and Queensland Premier Rugby’s Mitchell Wade, Ruan Smith, Nigel Ah Wong, Matthew Blain, Joel Rapana and Scott Malolua.

Reds coach Ewen McKenzie said the match would be a perfect hit-out for his squad and an opportunity to unearth the next generation of Rugby talent.

“First and foremost, we are going to the Sunshine Coast with the mindset that the match is crucial to maintaining cohesion and fitness during the midseason break before we head into the business end of the Super Rugby season,” McKenzie said.

“But it’s also an opportunity for us to take a look at some of the best Queensland Premier Rugby talent on offer and to see how they handle the next level.

“We’re also excited about taking the game to the Sunshine Coast, where we have a growing supporter base and many loyal members and fans.”

Tickets remain on sale for the encounter through www.ticketek.com.au and can be secured for as little as $25 for adults, $15 for children and a special family price of $70.

The match is part of Queensland Rugby’s strategy of continuing to take elite level Rugby to the community and follows a preseason trial victory where the Super Rugby champion Reds beat the Brumbies in Cairns earlier this year.

The trans-Tasman affair will serve as the perfect tune-up for the Reds who will be looking to maintain recent top form during the June Test window before embarking on their three remaining regular season Super Rugby games.

Following the Test window, the Reds will face three crucial matches against the Rebels, Highlanders and Waratahs as they continue their bid to overtake current Australian Conference leaders, the Brumbies, and qualify for the finals.

The match will also be a chance for the Reds to extract some revenge on their New Zealand rivals after the Hurricanes produced a stunning last minute penalty goal to sink the Reds 28-26 last year.

St.George Queensland Reds team to play Hurricanes
1. Greg Holmes (St.George Queensland Reds, Sunnybank)

2. James Hanson (St.George Queensland Reds, University)
3. Guy Shepherdson (St.George Queensland Reds, University)

4. Adam Wallace-Harrison (St.George Queensland Reds, Sunnybank)

5. Blake Enever (National Academy, Easts)

6. Jake Schatz (vc - St.George Queensland Reds, Sunnybank)

7. Eddie Quirk (St.George Queensland Reds, Easts)

8. Radike Samo (St.George Queensland Reds, GPS)

9. Ben Lucas (c - St.George Queensland Reds, Sunnybank)

10. Dallan Murphy (Extended Playing Squad, Brothers)

11. Lachlan Creighton (Brothers)

12. Nathaniel Gendle (Brothers)

13. Rex Tapuai (Sunnybank)

14. Damon Murphy (Brothers)

15. Luke Morahan (St.George Queensland Reds, University)

16. Mitchell Wade (National Academy, University)

17. Kevin Davis (Extended Playing Squad, University)

18. Ruan Smith (National Academy, GPS)

19. Nigel Ah Wong (National Academy, Sunnybank)

20. Matthew Blain (National Academy, GPS)

21. Scott Malolua (National Academy, GPS)

22. Joel Rapana (Brothers)

23. Dom Shipperley (St.George Queensland Reds, Brothers)

Hurricanes Team
1. Reg Goodes 

2. Motu Matu’u 

3. Michael Bent 

4. Mark Reddish 

5. James Broadhurst 

6. Brad Shields

7. Jack Lam 

8. Mike Coman (c)

9. Chris Eaton 

10. Tusi Pisi

11. Andre Taylor

12. Jayden Hayward 

13. Alapati Leiua

14. Richard Buckman / Waisake Naholo 

15. James Marshall

16. Dane Coles / David Hall 

17. Jeffery Toomaga-Allen / Tristan Moran

18. Faifili Levave / Jeremy Thrush

19. Ardie Savea 

20. Frae Wilson

21. Daniel Kirkpatrick

22. TJ Perenara

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
I've been really impressed by Blake this season. Does alot of good tight running and belts rucks. In a similiar mould to Horwill. Line-out wise it is hard to tell as Easts hookers can't hit water if they fell out of a boat currently. But from what I have seen he'd be the best lock running around in grade currently. He also has had experience in the Reds system before in the Academy last season and the National Academy this year. Also was one of the starting locks in last years u20's side.

With Samo and Humphries on there last legs, I think this is an indication that Blake is being trialled by Link. He might even be drafted as a cover this season as Horwill, Humphries and McDuling are injured.

Two names that could have gone in for the 2nd row are also Bucks and Stolberg. Buck can do 2nd row although not his favourite and Stolberg extremely dynamic in the lineouts. Also impressed by his burrowing through 2 opposition mauls with the ball on the game on Saturday.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Stolberg still doesn't use his size. I want to see him do well but right now his work rate is pathetic. He has so much potential and just is not showing it, as seen by him missing out on the u20's

Status
Not open for further replies.