• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Rebels, Sat May 17 @ 7:40

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Pretty sure they did that when they gave the big thumbs up to Moore punching Quirk.
I find it amusing though that all of the outrage is aimed at O'Donohue but no one is concerned with Higgers head butt or the fact that he had his hands on the face of Ed also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Pretty sure they did that when they gave the big thumbs up to Moore punching Quirk.
I find it amusing though that all of the outrage is aimed at O'Donohue but no one is concerned with Higgers head butt or the fact that he had his hands on the face of Ed also.

It's not an unfair point. Higgers has been letting that silly stuff creep into his game over the past few rounds and it's going to catch up to him eventually.

I think the body positions of the two while grappling might have a bit to do with the condemnation of O'Donohue. Higgers, for all his "edge-of-the-law" play prior, was fair defenceless under EOD.

That EOD decided not to insert his fingers up to the second knuckle was certainly generous of him and SANZAR have duly recognised it as such.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
If he was defenceless he wouldn't have been able to get his hands into Ed's face.
Ed also didn't insert his fingers into Scott's eye at all but if you want to be ridiculous then don't let me stop you.
And apparently us QLDers are the over excitable ones.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
It's contact with the face. Intentional contact with the face. The rules are clear. Dear lord SANZAR you are really losing it.

So from now on everyone's face is fair game on the ground. Right? If you are on top of another player you are totally within the laws of the game to drive their head into the ground like O'Gougehue did there. Just make sure you do not draw blood and you're good.

Oh Scoey so it's also fine to have a go at the face as long as the other player can defend themselves? Righto, let's have loads of that this weekend.

This is bloody laughable.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I couldn't see a headbutt by Higgers on my recording, does anyone have a still of this?

The retaliatory gouge: Higgers' fingers were straight with the tips quite visible. His was a face-palm at worst.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

So a headbutt is grounds for going for the guy's face as well? Wow. The next time a guy headbutts I want to see all 15 opponents come for his face. That will teach him. The ref, TMO and judiciary will all stand around applauding if this is anything to go by.

They missed the headbutt. That's for sure. Why did the Rebels not make a complaint and why was he not cited? The whole process is fucked.

IT seems every other week things get missed, players get suspension for borderline tip tackles but they get off for punches, headbutts and trying to arrange the features of someone else's face.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Oh Scoey so it's also fine to have a go at the face as long as the other player can defend themselves? Righto, let's have loads of that this weekend.
Cool your jets Blue. My comment was in relation to a claim that Higgers was defenceless. He was not.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Think this thread has run its course. Most of the discussion is about the ref, so we can move it over to there.

Mod?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
So a headbutt is grounds for going for the guy's face as well? Wow. The next time a guy headbutts I want to see all 15 opponents come for his face. That will teach him. The ref, TMO and judiciary will all stand around applauding if this is anything to go by.
No of course not. I was highlighting an inconsistency in some of the earlier posts.

It's amusing because earlier in the season the retaliator (Moore) was applauded for punching a player where Quirk was hung for what he did (holding on to Moore). There was a lot of really over the top reaction supporting violence by players as a means of addressing infractions by opposing players.
It is now clear that there is a line in the sand that was less clear back then. That line is whether or not one of the players is wearing a Reds jersey. :D

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
So now you're fine to go after the eyes as long as you don't draw blood and/or actually pull an eye out. Terrible precedent.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
No of course not. I was highlighting an inconsistency in some of the earlier posts.

It's amusing because earlier in the season the retaliator (Moore) was applauded for punching a player where Quirk was hung for what he did (holding on to Moore). There was a lot of really over the top reaction supporting violence by players as a means of addressing infractions by opposing players.
It is now clear that there is a line in the sand that was less clear back then. That line is whether or not one of the players is wearing a Reds jersey. :D

You forget the all South Africans are the world's most hard done by.

Don't try and steal that chip now. It's grown roots into the shoulder.

:)

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
If he was defenceless he wouldn't have been able to get his hands into Ed's face.
Ed also didn't insert his fingers into Scott's eye at all but if you want to be ridiculous then don't let me stop you.
And apparently us QLDers are the over excitable ones.

Champ, EOD's ~115kg was supported in part by his forearm across Higgers' chestneck, with his free hand gently massaging the eyesnosecheeks area of the man below him. That's a vulnerable place to be if there ever was one.

And if you re-read my post you'll find that I said nothing about EOD having inserted his fingers into Higgers' skull, instead I pointed out how he generously decided not to do so and was recognised for his charity by the judiciary.

T

tranquility

I agree with you Scoey, it is two different interpretations. Viva la Red, you will never cut this poppy down.

T

Train Without a Station

Fairly ridiculous discussion from both ends. EOD clearly could have inflicted damage, but rather than punch or gouge, he pushed Higgers face down, not even in a hard contact moment. Likewise Higgers did the same back. Both clearly could have punched, gouged, scratched or elbowed with force and chose to restrain themselves somewhat despite being in heated contact.

D

daz

And on that note, unless there are actual serious discussion points to be made on this issue, I'm drawing a line at the tit-for-tat stuff here.

Move on, please ladies and gents.

Status
Not open for further replies.