• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Rebels, Super Rugby Round 16, 1 June 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It looked pretty average, akin to a send off in cricket which I hate.

The only mitigating factor would be if Phipps had sledged him after one of his charge downs.

Phipps is a clear pest, but I thought he was pretty good in this game

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Phipps is a clear pest, but I thought he was pretty good in this game

Yeah, agree on both counts. Even on TV you could see Phipps shouting at players from both teams, riling/geeing everyone up. I would bet that Phipps had been barking at Reds playing all night (and at one lineout on TV it was clear he was).

Phipps had one of his better games, good cover defence and no wayward passes. He looked like a little energiser bunny.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
On Phipps, it took me a while to work out who was shouting so much but eventually realised it was him.

If I had kids I wouldn't have wanted them to watch that game. Fox need to be a bit more on the ball with that sort of stuff because almost every sentence Phipps shouted contained the word fuck, and a few times I clearly heard the c-bomb. I don't have any drama's with that language being used on a footy field but when it's that obvious Fox should be more aware and back their effects mics off a bit. I wouldn't want kids hearing that.

I know I sound like a bit of a knob with this post but I thought it really was that bad. My wife who was in the next room even commented on the swearing .

convenient wisdom

Allen Oxlade (6)
On Phipps, it took me a while to work out who was shouting so much but eventually realised it was him.

If I had kids I wouldn't have wanted them to watch that game. Fox need to be a bit more on the ball with that sort of stuff because almost every sentence Phipps shouted contained the word fuck, and a few times I clearly heard the c-bomb. I don't have any drama's with that language being used on a footy field but when it's that obvious Fox should be more aware and back their effects mics off a bit. I wouldn't want kids hearing that.

I know I sound like a bit of a knob with this post but I thought it really was that bad. My wife who was in the next room even commented on the swearing .
I was thinking exactly the same - continual profanities never made me play any better ( from team mate or opponent). Its just "motivation for Dummies" ............................or Rugby League !

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
In my playing days convenient wisdom I preferred to try and keep my 'talk' on field as calm as possible. Some agro lock screaming his tits off at every opportunity did nothing for the team, I thought. A composed voice when we were backs to the wall got into more heads and I like to think did more for the team. Don't get me wrong, when the boys needed a rocket, I was all for it. It just shouldn't be your go-to play.

But then again, he is a 9. ;)

D

daz

I think if you do that kind of trash talk all game it kinda loses its potency.

I do remember Sharpie a couple of years ago against England when the forwards were doing well, trying to get his tired pack set for another scrum saying something like "Come on boys, we f**king love scrums. Lets scrum again! More scrums! F**k yeah!"

From time to time it can be a good little gee-up.

With Phipps, it just becomes white noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.