• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Rebels, Super Rugby Round 16, 1 June 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
Reds have lost the last two and are coming back from South Africa for their last game before the Lions.

Rebels are on a roll (in relative terms) and looking for their last outstanding Australian scalp.

Can the Reds shake off the cobwebs before the invasion, or will the head-wobble continue down at AAMI Park?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Reds delayed in SA and had to stay another night. This would have to be the worst travel they've had. Keen to get home to Suncorp. Think they'll be too good for the Rebels but it will be close.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Very worried about this game. Coming back from SA and it has been a long run for the Reds. Rebels will be extremely motivated to knock off another top side this week.

If the Rebels can defend well i think they can score enough to get the points, proved that against the Stormers.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Can't see the Rebels changing the starting side, if it ain't broke etc... I can see JOC (James O'Connor) starting off the bench if he passes his fitness test (tomorrow?) perhaps JOC (James O'Connor) off the bench if he passes his fitness test. How did the Reds do injury wise in SA?

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Indigenous Round for the Reds. Jerseys look good.

QRJR216RED-2T.jpg

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
Pointy end of the season, Reds with back against the wall and playing at home.
Tough match, but Reds should prevail.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Pointy end of the season, Reds with back against the wall and playing at home.
Tough match, but Reds should prevail.

It will be interesting to see how the Reds play, if they go into their shells and play pick and go, it will be a long night

D

daz

What is amazing for me is that we are now talking about teams needing to find ways to break the Rebels defence AND negate their attack.

Kind of like finding out the world isn't flat. What a massive turnaround.

Another big change is that the Rebels are now playing 80 minutes of rugby, and not leaking a few tries before waking up.

Can they keep it going at Suncorp? No reason why not, but the Reds are a finals contender for a reason and the Rebelution is still a work in progress.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
dont take this the wrong way rebels fans, as I mean it as a complement. The Rebels have a great skill in bringing teams down to their level. I'm not sure how it is, but the crusaders, stormers and tahs all lost their structure and handling against the rebels. My guess is that this is harder to do away from home, especially at Fortress Suncorp, and the reds should get up (if they can focus on their own game)

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Reds:
- have lost the last two games
- have only scored 1 try in the last 2 weeks, and that was from a dubious (well, flat out wrong) TMO call
- are returning from a horrible SA tour, including being delayed by a day
- have a forward pack with a misfunctioning lineout and struggling to dominate colisions
- have lost their most penetrative back in Digby Ioane
- have been largely written off

Rebels:
- are on the back of a two game winning streak, including over the red hot Tahs
- have beaten the Stormers, who just accounted for the struggling Reds
- will be getting back their star (and soon to be current Wallaby) flyhalf, who gets to show up the overrated pretender at 10 for the Reds who apparently couldn't tackle a grandmother with a zimmer frame and turns over every second possession
- have improved their defensive effort, including conceding just 1 try to the Tahs, and that through a goal line intercept
- have the best try scoring lock in Aus
- have their captain (Higgers) in career best form
- have numerous ITM cup stars stepping up and being counted

How can you even say the Reds will be close? Surely the Rebels have got to be favourites, by about 30 - 40 points.

D

daz

How can you even say the Reds will be close? Surely the Rebels have got to be favourites, by about 30 - 40 points.

Ash, I am going to assume your tongue is planted firmly against your cheek with that call. Either that, or you have a marlin-capable fishing line out in the waters of Lake GAGR.

Nice summary, but not even the most rabid Rebels fan would think that scoreline is likely.

I don't think you could even call the Rebels favourites, regardless of form leading in. It would be considered a massive upset if the Reds got rolled in this game.

M-A-S-S-I-V-E.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
will be getting back their star (and soon to be current Wallaby) flyhalf, who gets to show up the overrated pretender at 10 for the Reds who apparently couldn't tackle a grandmother with a zimmer frame and turns over every second possession

Daz, I would say there's a hint of sarcasm in what he is saying.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Nice summary, but not even the most rabid Rebels fan would think that scoreline is likely.

OK, OK, you got me. There is some exaggeration there.

29 - 39 points is a much more reasonable starting margin for the Rebs.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
- will be getting back their star (and soon to be current Wallaby) flyhalf, who gets to show up the overrated pretender at 10 for the Reds who apparently couldn't tackle a grandmother with a zimmer frame and turns over every second possession.

Stiff upper lip and all that champ. That's the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.