• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Rebels, Super Rugby Round 16, 1 June 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Back to who's fav, the betting is interesting. The Rebels are $3.75 to the Reds $1.28. Got to put something on the Rebels at that price.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Back to who's fav, the betting is interesting. The Rebels are $3.75 to the Reds $1.28. Got to put something on the Rebels at that price.

Anyone know if they're playing the young team again or is JOC (James O'Connor) starting? I would put money on them, they seem to perform better without the stars!

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I'm hoping the Rebels are due for one of those brain fade nights you used to be able to count on them for and the Reds roll them to pick up 5 comp pts. :-D

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'm hoping the Rebels are due for one of those brain fade nights you used to be able to count on them for and the Reds roll them to pick up 5 comp pts. :-D

Hopefully we have ruled that out of our game to. Only really happened once this season.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
As much as I want the Reds to win, It's so good to see the Rebels beating top teams and generating a long term culture. I think it's something that the Force lack and was inevitable in a city like Melbourne. Can only be good for Australian rugby so if the Reds play like they did in South Africa, I hope the Rebels teach them a lesson!

Otherwise if we bring our attacking A game, good luck boys ;).

Go the Reds!

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
am sure JOC (James O'Connor) will be targeted and hit with some nasty tackles - not only to shut down him and what he can do but also to show support for QC (Quade Cooper). The y will want to showcase Cooper to the detriment of O'Connor.

It won't make a scrap of difference either way to Wallabies selections. Cooper is done and dusted as far as Wallaby selection goes. Rightly or wrongly !!

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)

There's no place like home for the Reds. That's why they're clear favourites. It's all or nothing for most of them this week too.

The main concern is whether blokes like Horwill and Genia are going to be going full speed or 80% because they're worried about getting injured before the Tests. 80% won't cut it.

D

daz

OK, OK, you got me. There is some exaggeration there.

29 - 39 points is a much more reasonable starting margin for the Rebs.

That's much more realistic. Good stuff. I'm off to visit Mr Waterhouse to discuss odds.

:D

Reactions: Ash

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
am sure JOC (James O'Connor) will be targeted and hit with some nasty tackles - not only to shut down him and what he can do but also to show support for QC (Quade Cooper). The y will want to showcase Cooper to the detriment of O'Connor.
If these are the revolutionary tactics of E. McKenzie, then I'm firmly on board the bandwagon to get him coaching the Wallabies. Pretty sure no one has ever tried targeting JOC (James O'Connor) like that, will be interesting to see how he deals with it.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
If these are the revolutionary tactics of E. McKenzie, then I'm firmly on board the bandwagon to get him coaching the Wallabies. Pretty sure no one has ever tried targeting JOC (James O'Connor) like that, will be interesting to see how he deals with it.

Bit like other teams preswsuring Cooper, particularly without Genia on the inside giving those other options.

I think JOC (James O'Connor) will be up to it because he is a tough little bugger but hey maybe the mistakes or forced errors will flow.

Whatever it still will be a direct comparison between both players - Intreresting times ?????

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I’m loving the extra pep in the Rebels supporters’ step after the last few weeks. Nothing like a bit of confidence to increase the level of banter pre-game!

Not sure how to call this one – Reds love playing at home but are on the back of a pretty poor tour and middling performances before that, horrible travel connections and a form slump. Rebels, as much as I love them, still have that element of skittishness away from home.

Will they turn up to play? Their form (imo) is the best in Australia and they’ll be chasing the win with their tales up. The time is ripe to take their final Australian scalp. Looking forward to a few key match ups - Simmons/Pyle, Samo/Higgers, QC (Quade Cooper)/JOC (James O'Connor) are all interesting for their broader relevance to the final Lions places. Should be a belter!

Rebels by 7+.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Reds to revel being back at Suncorp and to take out their frustrations on a plucky Rebels outfit, sending them crashing back to earth quicker than the Tahs a week ago. Reds to take max points in this one and to win it by 13+ :D

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I am not so confident. The reds haven't had a tremendous year, and are still to play 60minutes of decent footy, let alone 80. The travelling rigmarole can't help preparations and they will be feeling pretty down about their tour.

I really hope they lift.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The Reds pigs will need to step up, when the Reds were dominant their pigs worked their arses off and provided fast ball by getting the ball quickly away from contact with little investment in numbers

Apart for 40 minutes against the Sharks they have been slowed and forced to play at the tempo of the defenders too often

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
One of the biggest factors at play for this game is: will Genia return to 80 mins of excellence? If he does not, the Reds current poor level of innovation and depth in back line plays - partly leading to a far too high a reliance on QC (Quade Cooper) to constantly deliver attacking solutions almost solo - will really expose the Reds if the Rebels can repeat their attacking variety and competency.

Genia's comparatively poor displays in RSA were telling. His mistakes and poor execution were very expensive in both games away. His old flaw of often waiting too long to exit the ball at the ruck was returning with either fruitless ref beckoning or raising his periscope too much to assess surrounding condition thus allowing opposition forwards to slow the ball or force turnovers, and/or disabling the Reds' attacking speed.

Fascinating how Quade's higher standards of play v WG were analysed to death and every little fault found and publicised, whereas 'the best 9 in the world' was kind of excused and his flaws neglected.

Status
Not open for further replies.